Earbuds Instead Of Headphones

On 4/1/2017 at 10:55 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

There are times I want to use headphones but my big over ear ones are too much. Like when wearing a wide brim hat! I also find most ear bud type headphones simply fall out of my ears when detecting. Especially my right ear, which has a small ear canal.

So I got a set of Bose SoundSport in-ear headphones a couple years ago and could not be more happy. They have a design that locks them into my ear and they never fall out, plus the sound quality is so good I also use them for music listening. They make versions for Apple and Android devices with built in volume controls, but mine are the basic no volume control "audio only" model that cost half as much. These unfortunately have apparently been discontinued. I like mine so much that in the course of researching this post I just ordered a backup set on eBay while then can still be had.

bose-in-ear-headphone.JPG

Do you just use a jack converter to make it a normal earbud size? Is the output about right? I much prefer earbuds so i can choose my headgear without worring about the headset going over the top.

Yes, you will normally need to use a 1/8" to 1/4" jack adapter. Earbuds like I have which have no volume control of their own only work with detectors that have a volume control. If your detector does not have a volume control, get earbuds that do.

• Like 1

Yes Jakepilot, something like this. 

IMG_3076.thumb.PNG.987dc5793301302580a74bab04a0a43b.PNG

But after reading the external audio vs headphone thread I'm going to try a few experiments next time I'm out.  

What kind of external speakers do you mean? Like something that hangs around your neck/shoulders? I've got a small volume adjuster that I can place between them, works as a splitter. 

There are various booster amps and external speaker options available, made most popular with Minelab PI detectors. The SD, GP, and GPX series do not have their own speaker built in. The B&Z Booster is very popular.

The Minelab GPZ comes with a wireless remote speaker, which is what I normally use.

At this point you should be following the thread at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/3401-headphones-versus-external-speakers/

IMG_0292.JPG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Earbuds like I have which have no volume control of their own only work with detectors that have a volume control. If your detector does not have a volume control, get earbuds that do.

The Deteknix W6R6 (Transmitter & Receiver pair that allow you to use your own headphones) have a volume control built in.  It won't let you select an independent volume for each ear, though.  I think the new Garrett Z-link T&R has the same feature.

And thanks for the Ebay link to those earbuds, Steve.  I just ordered a pair!

• Like 1

Earbuds... With the B&Z booster and twin external speakers... 

Then I have a choice of which system use .....normally depending on wind noise or surf noise....

It is a weird sensation when you Black Widows are full of ear sweat!

Mine were stolen with the other stuff so i have a pair coming---

Condor has a nice idea with the 75ohm 1/4' to 1/8 " adapter to smooth them out and upgrade the signal... ( chime in Condor and re-explain that to us)

• Like 4

Jake, I use the same Bose sport ear buds and use them whenever conditions permit. The sound quality is excellent and they are super comfortable, although after a long day I forget they are in my ears and every once in a while pull one out thinking a bug crawled up my ear channel, then remember the buds a in there. I use mine with the gpz and wireless module on my shoulder, plug in and stuff the ear bud cord down inside my shirt. The sound quality is near as good as my black widow headphones, I mostly use the black widows when it's really windy, otherwise the ear buds suit me better.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 9:32 AM, GB_Amateur said:

The Deteknix W6R6 (Transmitter & Receiver pair that allow you to use your own headphones) have a volume control built in.  It won't let you select an independent volume for each ear, though.  I think the new Garrett Z-link T&R has the same feature.

And thanks for the Ebay link to those earbuds, Steve.  I just ordered a pair!

Mine just showed up from the eBay site and I am happy to report they look just like the ones I bought new from Amazon a few years ago. You never know with eBay!

I am glad I got these as I had a scare and thought I lost my other ones recently. These will go in the emergency backup kit.

Oh, and by the way, the Garrett Z-Lynk has no does have a volume control.

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Oh, and by the way, the Garrett Z-Lynk has no volume control. It is dependent on the detector or headphone volume.

Volume can be adjusted on the receiver end on the Z-Lynk. I'm running mine through the Gold Screamer on my 4500, so headphone volume can be adjusted on either the Gold Screamer or from the receiver on the Z-Lynk if you are using earbuds.

• Like 2