My New Prospecting Vehicle

8 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Way to go mad fish. Or should that be Mad Max. When I first saw the title of your post before opening it I had visions of you in some sort of wacky home built Mad Max (the movie with Mel Gibbson) all terrain type vehicle. :laugh: So had to check it out. I guess the R22 is a step up from the Gyro copter that was in Mad Max. :biggrin: Boy....wouldnt a chopper be the perfect prospecting vehicle. It sure would where I go detecting. I have often thought of a gyro copter....& the places I could get in to with one.

On another note....& not trying to put the hebie gebies up you, but the R22 has a bad rap here in NZ. Too many have fallen out of the sky over the years with the survival rate...Not Good.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2017/04/robinson-helicopter-design-must-be-investigated-survivor.html

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2017/03/government-agencies-quit-robinson-helicopters-over-safety-concerns.html

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/85930635/Is-there-a-problem-with-Robinson-helicopters

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

Madtuna! Great Pix and Share! Don't worry about anyhing in the R22.......

.It is the  "Safest" Aircraft in the World! Flight time vs. incidents   "Prove It" Period......

Have Fun out There! Cheers! Ig

• Like 2

Growing up I wanted to be a helicopter pilot. My father flew in Vietnam during the war. The closest I got was a Cesna 150 about 13 hours... If I remember right ...never got to solo but got to land and take off. A different career was chosen but I have no regrets. The Hughes 500 has always been my favorite chopper... Have fun out there !

strick

• Like 4

Yeah Steve it's the only way to go, if you have the bucks.spent many a year prospecting with the old man out of his hughes 300 (3 seater) Bloody wish I had a detector back then! Some of the best areas we panned sampled through out North Queensland I still have in my memory.:smile:

• Like 2

Thanks folks! And yep Steve I agree, being able to follow creeks and washes from what ever height you wanted and then hover or come in low over interesting ground for a close up eyeball was better than anything I could do on google earth.

Took a look at old working from the early 1900's that I doubt have ever had a detector on them and aren't on any maps

Kiwi, possibly more crashes in an R22 because there are more in service in a mustering roll than any other make? I know there used to be concerns with the fuel bladder set ups but most now have been chanced out or rectified.

Either way, I could walk out my door in the morning and have a dropped spanner from some space station maintenance hit and kill me too, no sense worrying, we all fall of the perch some time some how.

• Like 1

I've done a quick risk analysis.

Drink 10 cans of super and :

1. Drive down bush tracks like an idiot - chances of survival = good (possible panel damage taken into account)

2. Fly around in the air - chances of survival = poor

I'm driving.

Cheers

BB