Endless Winter / Wet Season

I've been pretty dang successful for what little time I have been able to get out this year and that makes it harder to sit here and watch it rain. But at least we are down to the "Bar-Ken- Otts" time of year.

• Like 3

I have to admit this winter was an eye opener for me. When I moved to Reno from Alaska a few years ago I hit it just when Reno got a string of "non-winters". This winter by comparison has gone on forever, almost starting to go away when another storm comes in from the Pacific.

Now, seriously there has been little that would prevent a determined person from getting out all winter to the west of here. I am spoiled now though and dodging snow flurries and rain in the desert seems like something I can pass on while keeping busy with other things. In particular I have swore off backcountry travel in the desert when it rains. My wife has been informed that if I am out there and the rains start I will be staying put until things dry out. Amazing how that ground goes from rock solid to bottomless muck in a few hours - and slicker than snot.

Anyway, good on all of you that are getting out and finding gold or at least adventure. But be safe out there, no gold is worth getting hurt!

• Like 4

Steve, two yrs ago our group of 5 guys were over around the Rabbit Hole area when it started raining about 2 am in the morning, We decided to boogie around 6am, good thing we did, it never stopped raining there for a week straight afterwards, and we experienced the deep muck desert roads all the way out to Lovelock that trip, we had to travel max 35 mph or were all over the road drifting due to the depth of the muck, and we were in 4x4 mode to keep going straight. Those backroads become bottomless fast in storms, due to no actual roadbed, they are just tracks in the desert basically. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:06 AM, klunker said:

I've been pretty dang successful for what little time I have been able to get out this year and that makes it harder to sit here and watch it rain. But at least we are down to the "Bar-Ken- Otts" time of year.

OK...... what the heck is Bar-ken-otts ???

• Like 1

Do I really have to explain it?! Sheesh!