The New Garrett Is Finally Coming!

Well, just to keep the rumor mill going there is this video featuring Bill Ladd. At the 2:07 mark he mentions prototype detectors are present. And at the 3:35 to 3:45 stretch and at 13:30 we get a few looks at what appears to be a new waterproof detector with a new coil design. This may of my not be the detector in question of course, and even if it is the look of things like coils especially can change in the final product. So a couple screen shots first followed by the video itself. Remember, more information is due this Friday - who knows how long after that before the detector will actually be available.

garrett-2017-prototype-new-metal-detector.jpggarrett-proto-rumor-1.jpggarrett-proto-rumor-2.jpg

Well, the first videos just got me thinking updated AT Pro. Whoopee. Looking at this however I see better possibilities. First, I was not a fan of the recessed connections for the coil and headphones on the AT. They are near impossible to tighten with fingers alone. The leaked prototype photos above look however more like the MX Sport setup below...

whites-control-box-rear-mx-sport.jpg

That would solve the recessed connector issue. The nice thing about the large flat square box design is more room for the display - that is why so many detectors use it! 

whites-mx-sport-vs-garrett-at-pro-screen-size.jpg

I had two complaints about the MX Sport design. First, the huge wasted bezel area. If the bezel was trimmed down to fit the display size it would be much nicer, and the possible Garrett photo as pictured looks about like what you would have with a trimmed down MX Sport.

The other thing I hated about the MX Sport design was the rear mounted headphone connection, forcing a 180 degree turn on the cable with resultant probable failure at the bend point. Not to mention the clunky dongle adapter design. I pointed out that incorporating a wireless system would have avoided the issue. People do need to realize wireless does not work underwater, but it gets rid of the need for wired headphones while on land or while wading.

Garrett has already said this new detector will incorporate wireless headphones.

OK, the AT box is mostly battery. Where is the battery here? Underarm like MX Sport is an option, but I am not seeing it in these photos. Since it is the 21st century maybe Garrett is taking the hint from Deus and going sealed rechargeable? Makes sense for waterproof detectors especially.

Don't know, but my interest level just elevated a bit. I guess we will know in just a few more days.

I saw that video and also paused and looked at the zoomed photos. I was thinking this was something other than garrett. Just from the coil design, and control design. I didn't think they would stray that far away from the atpro/gold design. I could be wrong tho. Wonder how they will setup the wireless headphones for underwater use? Looks like a good machine. Can't wait to see what garrett comes out with.

The wireless is almost guaranteed to not work underwater. There is no transmission distance underwater using standard Bluetooth, 2.4 Ghz, etc. The CTX 3030 loses the connection with the WM10 module if you put the head of the detector more than about 6" underwater. If you have a Deus and put the coil underwater you have to put an antenna on the coil that reaches above water for the coil to be able to communicate with the control box or coil. If this rig has wireless it will work above water or while wading while the control box is at or above water. There will not be an underwater wireless system. You can pretty much take that to the bank. Wireless systems for underwater use do not come cheap.

That's what I thought also on the wireless, didn't know for sure tho. 

The arm cup design tells me its not a 1st Texas unit in use and the grip angle says Garrett.  Notice the upper rod extension method.   

First Texas figured out the arm cup and made it a non-issue.  I put them on everything now.

HH
Mike