Steve Herschbach

The New Garrett Is Finally Coming!

33 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Kickindirt said:

Well lots of options out there. Anything that will easily display the vdi numbers and the rest of user options without a magnify glass. The tiny display is the one thing that's always turned me away from garrett AT machines.

I agree. The good news is it would be easy to use the same housing but have a larger display. My main beef on the current AT housing is the way the headphone and coil connectors are recessed to make it impossible to get a decent grip on them with just fingers.

Other than that the AT housing is still one of the lightest, most compact, yet fully featured waterproof detector designs on the market. And at a price far lower than most other waterproof detectors. Genuine bang for the buck detectors.

1 person likes this

I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it.  Trying to screw on the coil nut on my AT Gold has me cussing every time the idiots that engineered it.  For the $ the AT series is one of the the best bang for the buck out there. The external speaker went out on my AT Gold soon after purchase. I never sent it back for repair because the headphones still worked but mostly because Lisa liked to use the machine without the headphones on the beach. The machine was so obnoxiously loud ( non adjustable AT Gold speaker)  it had people  people looking her way all the time. 

strick 

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I agree. The good news is it would be easy to use the same housing but have a larger display. My main beef on the current AT housing is the way the headphone and coil connectors are recessed to make it impossible to get a decent grip on them with just fingers.

Other than that the AT housing is still one of the lightest, most compact, yet fully featured waterproof detector designs on the market. And at a price far lower than most other waterproof detectors. Genuine bang for the buck detectors.

I'd be happy with the same housing if able to adjust display to see it better. I agree on the connections also. Volume control would be sweet too. I prob will buy one no matter what just to try. I preferred the atgold over the pro. Wonder which direction they will follow the most? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      We have the New Garrett AT Pro 2? coming in May.
      The new Minelab Gold Monster 1000 is said to be available in May.
      The new Nokta Impact is now shipping to dealers and will have widespread availability in May.
      And finally, the new XP DEUS HF elliptical coil is supposed to ship in May!
      Looks like something for just about everyone there. Not sure about the Garrett but look for more from me on the Minelab GM1000, the Nokta Impact with large coil, and the Deus elliptical coil when the time comes.

• By Steve Herschbach

Ready for download Charles Garrett Memorial Hunt 2017 Edition

• By tboykin
      Tough choice which sub-forum this goes. Technically the eggs have coins inside, so this one seems good.
      White's has expanded its Easter Egg Hunt this year to cover more ground. Top prize is an MX Sport. Rules and map here - contest is USA only!
      https://www.whiteselectronics.com/whites-easter-egg-hunt-2017/
    • By Steve Herschbach
      From the Prescott Daily Courier http://www.prescottaz.com/m/Articles.aspx?ArticleID=140625 

Jack Delano Gifford, 75, passed away Jan. 3, 2015. He was born in Miami, Arizona, the son of Norval and Mayme Gifford. When Jack was about 6 years old, he and his family moved to the Phoenix area, and he lived there until he moved to Prescott, Arizona.

After high school, Jack served his country in the National Guard for six years. During that time, he also earned a technical degree in electronics and started a family. In his early electronics career, he worked in the aerospace industry. During a slowdown in the '70s, he was recruited by a metal detector company and worked in that industry until his retirement. Jack was an entrepreneur and an electronics design engineer, and founded three companies. The last one, Tesoro Electronics, brought him many friends and national and international acclaim for his designs and his support of the industry. He started that company in Glendale, Arizona, in 1980 and when he moved it to Prescott in 1991, it provided new technical jobs and industry for this area.

Jack started visiting Prescott when he was in high school and, during his careers, he and Myrna would visit the area for some much needed R & R. Eventually he realized he could move the company to Prescott so they could enjoy the Prescott lifestyle full-time.

Jack loved his family, motorcycles, metal-detecting and working on vintage stereo equipment. He also built the speakers to complete the systems, many of which he gave to family and friends. After retirement, he became a PADI-certified scuba-diver. Jack joined American Lutheran Church and served on their board. He was part of the Tuesday night men's Bible study and worked in ALC's outreach programs such as The Rock and Teen Closet. He also worked at the Prescott Community Cupboard Food Bank and served on their board.

Jack is survived by his wife of 54 years, Myrna; sons James and Vince (Katy); three amazing granddaughters, Isabella, Lily and Charlotte; sister Gloria Gray; and many nephews and nieces. He was predeceased by his parents, infant daughter Kelly Jeanine, and sister Glenna.

First Texas Lead Engineer Dave Johnson wrote a great "insider's obituary" honoring Jack at http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,2140231,2140269#msg-2140269
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The Ultimate Throwback Thursday
      Discover Magazine   Some of you might remember a publication called "Discover" that White's Electronics used to publish. It featured customer finds, treasure stories, and all-around good info on metal detecting. Back in the 90's we stopped making it, much to the disappointment of some of our long-time customers.

Well... we realized missed it too! So we're proud to announce the re-introduction of Discover magazine. As a part of our mailing list you have exclusive access to a free digital copy, which you can read online, print out, and share as you see fit. Get your January/February copy here. We'll try and send one out every 2 months.

Thanks for supporting an American brand, and know that we will always have your back as a valued customer. This publication is just one small thing we can do to show our appreciation!

Sincerely,

White's Electronics

P.S. - We plan to hide a clue in each issue. First 100 folks to find it and mail us an envelope with the answer will get a free prize. Think you can you find it? Good luck and happy hunting!

• By Steve Herschbach
      Discover Magazine

Some of you might remember a publication called "Discover" that White's Electronics used to publish. It featured customer finds, treasure stories, and all-around good info on metal detecting. Back in the 90's we stopped making it, much to the disappointment of some of our long-time customers.
      Well... we realized missed it too! So we're proud to announce the re-introduction of Discover magazine. As a part of our mailing list you have exclusive access to a free digital copy, which you can read online, print out, and share as you see fit. Get your January/February copy here. We'll try and send one out every 2 months.
      Thanks for supporting an American brand, and know that we will always have your back as a valued customer. This publication is just one small thing we can do to show our appreciation!
      Discover Magazine March/April 2017
      Discover Magazine January/February 2017

Sincerely,
      White's Electronics