No Detector Required Space Here We Come

If you got a Platnum asteroid to earth you would upset the supply-demand ratio. You would have to carefully release the metal into the market or "crater" the price. Just the public knowledge of a huge supply over-hang in the market could drive prices down. 

• Like 1

Not just platinum, all metals and even water. Mining and processing in space solves lots of problems. No environmental degradation of commercial scale mining on earth. Cheap energy for smelting by way of solar power, and the pollution associated with refining metals again avoided on earth. Only huge relatively pure masses of metal need be "dropped" to earth for use in manufacturing. Miners of the future may be astronauts as well.

Years ago I read an article about asteroid mining and they were discussing the possability of "parking" the asteroid they want to mine in earths trojan points which are 60º leading and trailing earths orbit.  Once they place the asteroid in the right spot it will stay there for ever and then they can mine it at their leasure.       And sorry Steve, I couldn`t help myself, there is a scene in that clip you put up where it almost looks like she is disconnecting HAL. Dave
dbr4sj.jpg

• Like 2