Chalcedony Food

Some family from China came for a visit last week and brought some rock my wife bought a while back to use for decoration in the studio and as small items for sale. Everything is all natural colors untreated chalcedony, the carvers are just real good at bringing out the design they see in the stone and using the natural features. The tempura and peanuts are all individual little pieces of different colors, the bacon is just polished a little otherwise pretty much as found.

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0873.JPG

• Like 2

Nice! Love how they even left a little thin white film over the yolk of the eggs...pretty accurate.

• Like 1

Fred, Jason...the artists are amazing and visiting their studios watching them work is a very humbling experience. It teaches you patience, I've got one friend in central China area and one of the things he carves are these 5 ton crystals from Brazil, some are flawless. He will spend sometimes 2 or 3 years just studying the stone before ever touching it with a tool, then another 5 years for a dozen carvers to cut and polish the design. The work is breath taking as are the prices these things command.

the picture is one of his students carving a smaller crystal, the master carver is this cool guy who looks like a Chinese version of "Doc" from "Back to the Future" most of my photos from there a on a memory card someplace.

IMG_0874.JPG

• Like 2