GPZ 19 And General / Difficult - Will It Miss The Bird Shot?

Steve,

When you bring up trash and the 19" I have always wondered how many of us use it on virgin ground.  Virgin ground includes ground with trash.

JP's videos show him going back to a patch he has hunted with several detectors BEFORE using the Zed 19.  I think for most of us who have had a patch or go back to where gold has been found before that is the case.  Most of the trash has been eliminated by other coils and hunters.  We have to look under the bushes to find something that was missed so to say.

Has the Zed been tested and engineered (reverse engineered to the patch) with this in mind?  It will be mostly used on previously hunted ground with less trash?

I'm not really able (without quad, 4x4 or horse) to find virgin ground in Gold Basin, Rye Patch and Quartzsite (I do have my feet!).  It is just virgin to Zeds ... maybe.  I walk for long distances without signals and so does my wife with her 2300.  I know this is different in the Sierras and I do know some shooting ranges that I avoid.

When I first got the Zed I experimented with the Extra Deep settings and it did seem to ignore the surface but then I didn't have anything to dig because my targets are shallow.

To be truthful I think the targets I have found now with the 19" are more because of coverage than finding deeper targets.  There are a few exceptions to this and I guess this is why I bought it and why Minelab sold it to us on the 'deeper is better' scenario.  Larger coverage is good also.

Mitchel

• Like 4

Well, this is my UN-qualified opinion based on very limited use of the 19 inch in Gold Basin. Norm loaned me his to take for a spin. I went over an area that I had found maybe 10 bits of gold basin meteorites. They were well scattered; all were found with the 14 inch. I wandered to and fro as I had with the 14  for two or three hours and did not get a single meteorite or nugget. Of course I was hoping for some big meteorites or nuggets but I got NONE...I was really surprised.  The 19 inch could detect my 1 and 1/2 grain test nugget and test  meteorite bits... the lack of success could be bad luck. Or, it could be a lack of sensitivity to low iron/nickel Chrondrites. 

So, That leaves me wondering...with no clear conclusions. OH, except that dang thing will make a man of you...but, not me!

fred

4 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Well, this is my UN-qualified opinion based on very limited use of the 19 inch in Gold Basin. Norm loaned me his to take for a spin. I went over an area that I had found maybe 10 bits of gold basin meteorites. They were well scattered; all were found with the 14 inch. I wandered to and fro as I had with the 14  for two or three hours and did not get a single meteorite or nugget. Of course I was hoping for some big meteorites or nuggets but I got NONE...I was really surprised.  The 19 inch could detect my 1 and 1/2 grain test nugget and test  meteorite bits... the lack of success could be bad luck. Or, it could be a lack of sensitivity to low iron/nickel Chrondrites. 

So, That leaves me wondering...with no clear conclusions. OH, except that dang thing will make a man of you...but, not me!

fred

Fred,

You were hunting in an area without gold and you (and your students) got all the shallow meteorites.  There was nothing left for the 19 to find!

Mitchel

Using my 19" around Quartzsite last weekend I was amazed at how much bird shot and small junk I was digging. The soil is drying out and targets are getting easier to detect with less ground noise. The birdshot was mostly surface or near surface trash with a clear double signal. Easy to retrieve but a huge waste of time. With settings like General/Difficult the birdshot was loud and clear. I did not try harsher settings for fear of missing gold.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Randy Lunn said:

With settings like General/Difficult the birdshot was loud and clear.

Bummer. Or maybe not. Obviously not missing gold is the goal but some ability to tone things down would be nice. Oh well, that's why I have VLF machines also! The Nokta Impact with 15.5" x 14" coil may end up being my birdshot machine.

• Like 1

Steve, stop your buggerising around:wink: and just get a 19, set up with hip stick and swing arm. But ditch your insane settings, at stage I`m currently at go with JPs conservative and get that volume 8 or lower, use a external booster if you require more volume. Don`t even bother using it in shallow ground you`ve flogged with the 14, go for the deep stuff and yes you`ll still dig bird shot just deeper....................

• Like 2

Steve running the settings in that clip of JP`s you still get the birdshot but not anywhere near as much as you would using the 14" high yield difficult. Unfortunately, I still haven`t found any reason that I would recommend this coil.  I think this coil could do very well in the wide open spaces of WA, but the assurance in the advertising find more gold bigger, deeper and quicker, the people that wrote that obviously didn`t use the coil in my kneck of the woods.   But having said that, once I got used to the weight, I quite like using this coil and I will continue to use it about 50% of the time, `cause there`s gotta be a big bit waiting for me somewhere.          (I hope)  Dave

• Like 2

I suspect you`ve nailed it Phoenix, depends on the neck of the woods you work in, it is the coil you either get to love or hate and that is dependant on the ground and if it carries deep gold beyond the 14. There are a lot of disappointed people out and about no doubt, expectations were high, but I suspect as time goes by that will change, the Z with the 14 is a hard act to follow but the Z with the 19 does it in my country.

• Like 3