Minelab Folks Monitoring Forums - Look!

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Minelab and others have been monitoring the forums for a long time. What is new is any sort of interaction. New policy, or rogue person wanting to help?

Dilek at Nokta/Makro has set a new standard on the forums. Dave (woof!) and Carl (Geotech) and others from First Texas appear on the forums but more in a personal capacity. Off the clock so to speak. Tom (tboykin) is a fresh, new and much appreciated presence from White's.

• Like 6

During my time with ML, I monitored the fora all the time.

In the early years there was a bit of a 'fiasco' with the Explorer's...they were breaking on Customers on a global scale! The "heat was really on" from a few USA Customers. I was online trying to 'broker the peace' for an entire Easter Weekend from home on a 'dial up' connection...and managed to sort something out. However, a member from the US team garnered the credit despite not being even at the scene!

Australia lauded praises on this fellow...where would we be without your intervention?

What intervention?

I continued to monitor the fora for years after that and had various warnings not to do so from different folk in management roles? They blew 'hot n cold'

I kept at it and it's as plain as the nose on my face (and it's a large shnozzle that is stuck on my physiomony) that Customers LIKE TO be able to "interact" with a real person from the company!

So hats off to this fellow and keep at it is my advice. I'm glad that whoever's in charge these days has finally seen the light!!!!!

• Like 1

I agree Des. I think it is foolish of companies to ignore the benefits of interacting on social media. Or those that do think Facebook is the be all and end all of social media. I am here to tell the manufacturers that for whatever reason many metal detector users like myself are not really into Facebook, and many refuse to use it at all. For me the big draw on the internet is information, and there is little good information to be had on Facebook due to the transitory "sound bite" nature of the medium. Facebook is good for some things, but for people wanting deeper content forums far better serve that purpose. That in turn makes forums a good place to reach their true hard core users. A person with their first detector is more a Facebook person. Somebody with a dozen detectors is probably on the forums.

• Like 4

I assume that as a visitor here, Steve spends all his free time making certain the folks on here are not fakes...somewhat kidding, but I know for certain so much of Facebook is fake stuff...cant go there for any information.

• Like 1

If somebody posts information on the forum detecting which I know is blatantly inaccurate I will not let it remain. The whole goal of the forum in the long run for me is that it be a repository of accurate information. On the flip side I do make mistakes myself now and then and I count on the good forum members to point them out to me!

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

One of the things I like about this site.

You don't see what I call these posts by folks,,that are what I call attack posts,,,where the person post then cuts and runs.

These same folks usually don't post detailed info,,,as to their reasons or thoughts for THESE negative posts.

This forum is managed superbly in my book.

Posting that a detector is crap in most cases just reveals a biased reporter. Most mainstream detectors are perfectly capable of doing good by some operator. The key is that they are just tools designed for different jobs. Some are good at some things, others are good at other things. My goal in nearly all cases is to identify what a detector is good at. There is not much point in ripping it for what it is not good at.

A screwdriver is good at driving screws. A wrench is good at turning nuts. If I posted a review of a wrench and said it was crap because it does not drive screws well, what does that reveal about my knowledge of tools? Many poor detector reviews simply reveal the operator does not have widespread knowledge of the various scenarios where a detector might shine and is approaching it from their own limited perspective with blinders on. Or in worst case scenarios with full intent to deceive.

The MX Sport mess was very revealing on this forum. A full crew of first time posters showed up. Some had a clear agenda of wanting to go after White's. Some were true defenders of the faith, probably with vested business interests. None were here before the MX Sport "event" and none have been seen here since I put the issue to bed. None ever contributed anything of real value, but were only here to push an agenda.

• Like 1