Aurora Fossil Museum ( North Carolina )

http://aurorafossilmuseum.org/post/28/megalodon.html

I haven't visited here but it sounds very interesting and I plan to do so this week at which time I will add more info to this post.  What interest me very much about the Museum is that they have a pit across the street that contains material donated by the Potash Corp who has a mine in the area.  The material is free to explore and contains fossils including sharks teeth.  Here is a exert from the website: "Some of the best examples of the fossil record near Aurora, North Carolina are from the Pleistocene, Pliocene and Miocene geologic times are put on exhibit at the Aurora Fossil Museum. One of the most diverse assemblages of marine fossils one can find in these sediments are found in the coarse material separated from the ore at the Mill Operations and donated to the Aurora Fossil Museum by PotashCorp-Aurora. You can collect your own fossils when you visit the Aurora Fossil Museum and take your own journey back in geologic time. You will truly be amazed!"

Terry  

• Like 2

Hey Terry, thanks for posting have to check that out sometime. My grandpa gave me one of those teeth when I was a kid, they are pretty cool.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow.  That is one excellent example of a Megalodon sharks tooth.  It still has visible serrations.  The one's I have seen usually came from the ocean and the serrations are worn off at best.  That's a keeper tooth for sure!  

• Like 1

Wish I could narrow down where it came from a little better than just grandpa, be nice to know more about it and how it was found. The back side looks as good as the front and it probably didn't have any chips on the edge when I got it, but ship happens in the hands of an eight year old...wonder it survived my childhood abuses at all...Many a treasure was less fortunate.

• 3 weeks later...