New Detector Makes Great Finds In Pounded Areas!

Yes, I have often said that almost always any new equipment will produce. Why?  BECAUSE it is new and the user is working in a much more disciplined manner...

That is a good thing but when the new wears off the old habits return.

fred

• Like 2

Thanks for that link, Steve.  Here's a quote from that page, for those who didn't bother going and reading it, and especially for those who did:

So next time you venture out just pretend your detector is a brand spanking new, knock your socks off, killer of a machine. Look at the controls and various settings as though you’ve never seen them before, experiment with them and go ever so slow.

I'm going to do that... tomorrow.

• Like 2

An amazingly true article. 

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Sure can happen.

One liables not to take for granted a new detector vs an older.

I try to not fall into this trap.

I have to see trends before I draw conclusions.

And just exactly what type site(s) I see some finds coming out of pounded sites.

Fine line too,,just an inkling of additional audio over said target can make the difference between walking and digging.

Detection of a nonferrous target,,,is done on a sliding scale,,depending on the detection scenario.

Lots of variables here all intertwined.

Thanks for sharing this piece.

I hunted some roman sites with a couple of guys last year. They flew over a whole field in a matter of hours with their CTX on automatic, still had mine so to be contrary I whipped on the17" coil on an iron infested site. Hadn't been done, but it still gave me a few buckles in one width of the field.

Not enjoying the earfull my CTX was giving me, switched over to the X-terra with the 18,75 kHz coil and managed a few pieces of silver and old coins in their tracks.

So 3 hours later the field was "done" and they had a lot of big high conductors and I had a few keepers amongst my trash. I covered only 5 percent of the area they had "hunted out".

For me, I'm happy to just be there. Out in a field, on a beach, in a park with the sun just waking up. So we didn't get along because they felt I wasn't doing my part, wasn't covering enough area. Or maybe it was the silver I scooped from behind their tracks.

Anyway there is nothing like a new detector or an "old" one which hasn't got turn on and go settings. It forces you to calm down and set it up just wright. Or maybe people should take a little more enjoyment out of their hobby in stead of trying to compete.

• Like 4

Well after several days of thinking and pondering on the article I must say I'm 100% guilty.  I've been swing a detector of some sort since 1985 (wife bought me my first detector from Fingerhut) and can say, once I've learned or rather became comfortable with a detector I speed up and get sloppy with my swing.  At times the truth can be a very inspiring tool.