Jennifer

Prepare For Some " Dumb Blond " GPZ Questions Guys :-)

kiwijw    1,515

Hi Jen, Congrats on getting a 7000. You are going to love it. Crikey.... the evo's didnt get a very long work out. :biggrin: I was a fan of the hip stick for years, but on getting the Pro Swing 45 harness with the built in strut I have never gone back to the hip stick. I dont know what the problem is that people have with that harness. Once you fit it to your body it is just effortless. I now have another Pro Swing 45 harness that came with the Zed. I have only fitted the one "J" strut to my detector swinging side & havnt bothered with setting up the other side or use the bungee "bridle" bridge, but just hook the bungee on to the "D" shackle on the harness.  I have no problems or trouble with the Minelab quick release bungee set up either. Here is a you tube clip on setting up the Pro Swing 45 harness. I think this may have been put up before but it is quite appropriate on this thread. 

Ridge Runner above above took the words out of my mouth, Re the dumb blond questions.

Go Girl.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

• Like 4

Jennifer    671

Thank you JW :biggrin:

• Like 1

Nevada Brian    93

Thanks for sharing the video, excellent idea with the bungee.

Brian.

• Like 1

Col Douglas    34
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:04 PM, kiwijw said:

Hi Jen, Congrats on getting a 7000. You are going to love it. Crikey.... the evo's didnt get a very long work out. :biggrin: I was a fan of the hip stick for years, but on getting the Pro Swing 45 harness with the built in strut I have never gone back to the hip stick. I dont know what the problem is that people have with that harness. Once you fit it to your body it is just effortless. I now have another Pro Swing 45 harness that came with the Zed. I have only fitted the one "J" strut to my detector swinging side & havnt bothered with setting up the other side or use the bungee "bridle" bridge, but just hook the bungee on to the "D" shackle on the harness.  I have no problems or trouble with the Minelab quick release bungee set up either. Here is a you tube clip on setting up the Pro Swing 45 harness. I think this may have been put up before but it is quite appropriate on this thread. 

Hello JW,

Have you used the 19'" coil with the Pro Swing harness. Thanks.

Col

kiwijw    1,515

Hi Col. No mate I havnt & I doubt very much that I will get the 19" coil for my Zed. I would prefer a smaller coil than the 14" as our gold is mostly small, as you may have seen in my finds. The smaller coil would be great for tight spots where I just cant swing or poke & prod that 14" coil. To answer your question further though.....I have used a Nugget Finder 25 inch coil open web design with the Pro Swing Harness on my 4500 as well as the 18" commander both mono & DD (they arent too light) also a solid 20" NF coil too & had no problems swinging them all day. I did make up my own swing arm though for the 25" NF coil to combat the inertia & to control it better. Not sure what the weight difference may be to the 19" Zed coil as I can see that is where you are heading with me banging on about people having problems with the Pro Swing Harness. People were complaining about the Pro Swing Harness long before the Zed came out & long before the 19" coil. What ever works for you & makes your detecting comfortable. Thanks. 

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

On 4/14/2017 at 11:11 PM, Jennifer said:

Well I did it..... recent success... [ snip ]
Jen

Good to hear you were finally able to, ahem, swing it for a Zed, Jen.. Of course, you do realize in light of some of your recent finds you'll also need to get a longer pick handle too, right..? :rolleyes:

Swamp

• Like 1

Jennifer    671
18 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Good to hear you were finally able to, ahem, swing it for a Zed, Jen.. Of course, you do realize in light of some of your recent finds you'll also need to get a longer pick handle too, right..? :rolleyes:

Swamp

I have a longer pick on order....

Jen

backhoe.jpg

• Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By normmcq
      With several GPZs working in a small area, is there a recommended auto tune procedure to tune each other out? 
                                                                            Norm
    • By gambler
      Hi guys, in your opinion, what is the best vid on youtube for someone just starting out with the gpz? Maybe something that walks you through the start up settings and stuff.
    • By phoenix
      I went to a spot in Tarnagulla today where years ago I got a deep 5 grammer with the 5000. I keep telling my self "if there was one deep bit there there HAS to be more".   Because today I was going after deep gold I strapped on the 19" coil and I got this little piece at about 3". In the second picture, the 2 bottom pieces are the 5 grammer I got years ago and I have no idea if I broke it or if it broke a million years ago.  Todays piece goes a whopping 0.21g.  I think that`s a pretty good score with the 19" coil.    I would have liked to stay out longer because I was really enjoying the day, but at about the 4 or 5 hr mark the 19`s weight really starts to tell on me.

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, After seeing Jens success on using Steve's insane hot settings on her Zed & the result she shared with us I just had to give them a go. I had tried them in my early days with my Zed but could do with out the brain hemorrhage dealing with all that noise. Besides......I found the Zed deadly on the conservative settings & they pleased my state of mind so I have just stuck with the lower sensitivity. Usually 4-8 range. Due to our insanely mild ground I can run in High Yield/ Normal all the time & soil smoothing off. I went back to the last area I detected a couple of weekends ago where I found a 4.39 gram piece. It was an old patch area where I had done well on back with my GP 3000 & 4500. Getting well over one ounce of gold off it. Previous to getting the 4.39 gram piece with the Zed I had got no gold from the area with the Zed on two previous occasions. The other weekend conditions were just ideal, with very low grass growth due to winter conditions & the sheep had also been in the area & chewed what grass there was, right down. The ground was also quite damp with deep penetration resulting in better & deeper conductivity. I always believed there was more gold at depth in this location & just because I had got none on my previous two times with the Zed, until that 4.39 gram slug, I still believed there was more there.....& still do.
      So on Saturday Mrs JW had a heli wedding to video up on top of a snowy mountain peak up behind Queenstown. So I had the day to myself & decided to head back to this area & try these insane hot settings. My last time there two weekends ago I got rained off after getting that 4.39 grammer. So I had not finished detecting the entire area.  The only setting I changed on my Zed was to crank the sensitivity up to 20 & turn down the volume on my external B&Z booster to try to save a bit of my sanity & stop the brain hemorrhage. Taking on board what Steve had said about using that noise as a "new" threshold & believing that a target signal would leap out above it all. 
      I didn't have long to wait for that first signal. I started off right where my back filled hole from the 4.39 gram piece was found & detecting very slowly & rubbing the coil softly across the ground I kicked a rock out of the way. Slowly rubbed the coil over where the rock had been sitting & got that unmistakable beautiful soft mellow wee you signal. Gold just written all over it. I was 100% sure it was going to be gold straight off the bat. So I thought I would try a few different settings. High Yield/Difficult....in fact I tried them all.....& none were as good as High Yield/normal. If I didnt know the signal was there then high Yield/difficult would have struggled to have had me pull up.
      This was after the first scrapes
      Just hitting the rotten schist bedrock which wasn't far down & signal still in there. You will notice broken crumbly schist peeled out in the pile.
      Close up
      Down further & signal still in there. The rock beside the coil is the rock I kicked out of the way that the signal was under. Had I not kicked the rock aside I wouldnt have got the signal.
      Target out....and I wasn't wrong about my 100% prediction
      I carried on across the slope & after 5 minutes of slow methodical coil control & sweeping I got the faintest of hits through my "new" threshold between two rocks. I hooked one of the rocks out & scraped out some dirt. Signal had moved. Can you see it on the coil??
      .05 of a gram.
      The next signal took a bit longer to come & was quite deep. I was just about to get the Gold monster to pin point it & to see if it was ferrous or non ferrous.
      When suddenly the target was out. Just at that moment my phone rang. Needing a breather I answered it. It was my youngest son, Aydin  22,  calling from Brisbane in Australia. I told him I was detecting & just had a target out in the dig out dirt but hadn't located it yet. Is it gold he asked.
      It sure was.
      With that piece I told him it was time for a coffee break. I told him I always tried to get a piece of gold before stopping for a coffee. He laughed saying that I must go for some long hauls before "earning" a coffee break. He wasn't too far wrong with that comment at times. We had a bit of a chat & then we hung up. I wondered on towards my wagon still swinging the coil. Not 10 feet from the last pieec I was pulled up by another signal.
      This time I did get the Gold Monster involved to pin point & see if it was ferrous or non ferrous. Non ferrous was the call.
      And it wasn't a piece of lead or a bullet casing.
      So on that note I was thoroughly deserving that coffee break.
      Half an hour after my coffee I was on to another sweet signal.
      And another sassy bit of gold
      Then things dried up for me. I re detected the whole slope again from top to bottom this time & nothing more. Carried on into the dark, but that was my lot. I was getting a bit frazzled from my "new" threshold so called it quits. Still had a 2.5 hour drive home.
      So all up with the sensitivity up at 20 I got 5 more bits off this absolutely thrashed slope that still produced for me. 2.38 grams.  I can hear Norvic saying "wait until you get the 19" coil"  Yes I am looking.
      That was Saturday....there is still Sunday....but that can wait for another night. Cheers all.
      Good luck out there
      JW
    • By Giddiup
      Hi guys, looking for some advice. I have been lucky to have a 3km river section in north queensland mostly to myself for the last 6months...it takes an 90mins to walk in one way...so the few ounces have been well earned! A couple of small patches off to the side of the creek, the rest has been bits from the shallow creek bed. All pieces with my gpz 14 inch combo. I run it in normal high yield until the constant hot rocks slow me down too much and then its high yield difficult. Average depth would be 4-5 inches. deepest 9-10inches. Most common size has been 0.4 - 1.5 grams (with a few under 5gms) and i have dug NO deep holes for gold - very little trash in this area and deepest hole was for an old pick head. Question is, with the gold getting harder to find, would you recommend i try a 19inch coil over the same ground even though up till now there has been NO deep targets??? I heard you can run the 19 in normal a little easier than with the 14inch but i imagine hot rocks will still sound off and i cannot tell the different yet with a couple hundred hours on the machine! Thoughts appreciated. (ps a gpx with evo 14x9 has been over the patches too).
      stru
    • By Jennifer
      Well after getting skunked on my usual areas in Gold Basin today, I was getting the feeling that maybe I should try something new (I move around a lot, as people who detect with me will attest). If I'm not on colour or it feels wrong, I'll move at times several miles and start again.....
      So, I went to an area that I'd been hoping to try again after being chased out by trash last time.... it dawned on me today, why....  I got out of the truck, did a quick walk up to the side of the hill/bench and fired up Zeddie.... but this time, I thought... I'm not getting skunked today.... let's crank this bad boy up.... I had been running at sense of 10-15 today, depending on the area..... I thought to myself, let's give Steve's Mac Daddy Go Big or Go Home settings a run... In all honesty I'm usually running very similar settings, minus his hi gain. Well up it went.... wow, noise much but I figured.... I had nothing to lose,  I'm learning the machine this Summer, I might as well see if i can get use to running super hot..... I did a quick ground balance and away I went... I got less than 10' and heard angels (well, ok, maybe it wasn't angel's but you all know the sound).... BOOOOOO YAAAAAAAAAAA nice rough little nuggy DEEEEEEEP.
      I proceeded to do a little "Beat the skunk, thank you Steve's settings" dance in circles..... as I was filling in the hole it struck me, why wasn't this found, out in the middle of a huge wide area, easy target... oh well.... then I commenced detecting..... and as I wandered and dug HEAPS of small trash that should have been dug by detectors before me, it dawned on me...... and then... mid thought... WOOOOOOOOOO WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oh man.... a pop can, like I need another one of those..... and down I dug...... hmmmm when did gophers start drinking soda, this thing is deep.... and then out came a 73 grain chunk.... oh yea.. oh yea... who your daddy!!!!
      I then realized, I'd found my first virgin patch, and on Gold Basin no less...... 20 sensitivity is my new normal....... wow, what a huge difference... I've gone from hating a chatty threshold to now realising the power that same noise has.....
      It was getting late, the patch is hard to get to/from in the dark so I left..... this story will be continued.... (I hope)
      I'll post updated cleaned pics after they get a bath. $324.00 at $50.00 a gram... I may have an extra ice tea tonight at dinner.
      Thank you Steve........ for your continued reference in some of your posts (including your one recently with the shovel in it) where you mention this may be an option for some.... it was for me today and is my new norm.
      Jen