Gold From Every State?.... USA ..... Australia

Principal Gold-Producing Districts of the United States

The text above has the details but here are a couple charts from the report to get you started. I have found gold in Alaska, Arizona, California, and Nevada but that's not unusual. In addition to the states listed detectable gold could be found in Georgia plus possibly in any northern state where glacial age deposits are found. Also, the ranking is only through 1965 and includes hard rock mining so is not directly indicative of the chances of finding nugget gold. Again, refer to the text for details.

IMG_0309.PNG

IMG_0310.PNG

• Like 3

Although the US has a few large states, as a whole, most of the states of the US are much smaller than the states of Australia. The US states include a number with very unfavorable geology - just as parts of Australia are unfavorable for gold. If one updated the chart that Steve posted to include the last 50 years, Nevada would be the leading producer - the Carlin district alone has produced roughly 100 million ounces - an amount about equal to the entire state of California up to 1965. Unfortunately, the great majority of Nevada production is microscopic in size. It processes great with cyanide, but you can't even pan out visible dust that can be seen with the eye, let alone nuggets large enough to detect. Some places in Nevada do produce coarse gold and nuggets, its just the majority is this microscopic stuff - and that is why the old timers missed it for the most part.

• Like 2

I am from Colorado originally. There's nuggets here but they are rare. I think there's a lot more here but the country is remote. The season is short, so it stays hidden. I am sure this is the scenario in many places around the world.

I have found gold in Alaska, Wyoming, Georgia, South Dakota, Montana, Colorado, Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico. 

With a detector I found nuggets in only Alaska, Wyoming and most recently New Mexico.  I did find nuggets in Montana and Georgia that are big enough to detect but I found them either dredging or highbanking. 

I tried extremely hard to detect a nugget when I lived in Georgia but they eluded me.  

• Like 3