bloodgold2

First Day Out For 2017

23 posts in this topic

It's all relative when you say it's nothing big bloodgold - I found my biggest piece ever today and yours is twice the size :rolleyes:

Well done.  Hope they keep coming. 

2 people like this

Thanks mate :smile: yeah was good to finally get out bush, even if it was just for a total of 4 hours detecting.Just needed to scratch that itch that has become more regular of late:smile: No doubt most know what I mean.

2 people like this

Well done Dave.

Nice to go and do some relaxing time looking for gold.

Hope you guys have wonderful season.

Looking forward to some movies son.

Good luck and stay safe

(say halo to Nikki and the rest.)

Take care

GoldEN

1 person likes this

Did I miss something here?  That is a 21g nugget?

Mitchel

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, GoldEn said:

Well done Dave.

Nice to go and do some relaxing time looking for gold.

Hope you guys have wonderful season.

Looking forward to some movies son.

Good luck and stay safe

(say halo to Nikki and the rest.)

Take care

GoldEN

Hi  Enio, thanks mate, yes we have alot on our to do list this season.:smile:

5 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Did I miss something here?  That is a 21g nugget?

Mitchel

Hi mate, yeah it's a 21 grammer. p.s photo's is not my strong suit, will take a better pic after it has a bath.

A very nice find Dave.    well done :smile:

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, bloodgold2 said:

Hi all, just thought I would share my find for my first day detecting of 2017, nothing big, but it's a start  :smile: Cheers Dave.

Nothing big ... come on now ... it is a matter of perspective!  That is pretty b-i-g to ME.

Nice one for a start as you say.

3 people like this

Congrats bloodgold 2, A great way to start the 2017 golding itch.

Cheers

Ashley

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By DolanDave
      Got out Friday, and decided to use the good ol Boat Anchor 19 " coil on the ZED. After finding the Specimen Gold, and into it 2 hours, my Bungee broke, and I had to go to my backup bungee, and also switched back to the 14". I was using the High Yield Mode with the 19" coil, since the soils here are not to bad, and I seem to get a little more depth using the 19" with High Yield.
      Dave.

• By phoenix
      I got out to Tarnagulla today for a detect and I got 2 little specimens and then I finished off the day with this beauty. I was using the 7000 with JP`s recommended conservitive settings and this sounded like a very deep target.  I was surprised when I moved it about 5" down.  What really excited me about this one was I did some testing and the 2300 can get it at about 8" and the 7000 can only get it at 6". That in itself told me there was a fair bit of gold in it. I suspect a 5000 would struggle to hear it.  This speci is predominately quartz but it has a thin layer of ironstone around it.  In the first 2 photos are the only two pieces that are readily visible but under high magnification there are at least 100 pinpoints of gold visible all around it.   I have no idea how much the ironstone mucks up the SG, but the sg for quartz says there is 28.649 grams of gold in this piece.   I`m not going to drop this one in acid till my mate waves his 5000 over it. I`m hoping there is going to be a heap of gold visible once the ironstone is gone.  cheers Dave

• By Northeast
      So some of you may have seen my piece I put in the thread about 'What are your detecting goals' as I was happy I had reached the goal of getting a nugget over 1 gram (it's sad but you have to start somewhere ).
      Well 24 hours later and I've got another. 
      11 grams is the big one. 6 is the littler one. And 3 smallies which have been my standard fare.  
      Its been a beautiful weekend here in Northeast Victoria for Easter. These beauties have topped it off. 
      Happy Easter everyone. 

• By phoenix
      This is a specimen I got last week with the 7000 and 14" coil at about 5-6" and it readily sticks to a magnet. The total weight of this piece is 0.85 gram so there is not a hell of a lot of gold in it, and I figured the 19" coil would struggle to hear it, but with JP`s deep gold settings, the 19 can hear it about 4" away .  It should look good when it`s been acid cleaned.

• By Bear
      Today I went to an area that I recently gained access to.  I looked at imagery to see where the old workings are.  I picked a spot where a drag line and wash plant had been though.  As I was driving in I noticed a lot of the ground had all of the rocks racked off.  I figured who ever did it had to have found something.  So the tailings will have to wait.
      I decided to run the SDC 2300 over that ground.  After digging the 10th piece of shot I got another signal about a foot away from one I just dug.  It was real hard to pinpoint and find but the sun hit it right on the coil and I knew it was a little piece.  Finally I found a nugget in New Mexico.  Nothing like others recently on the forum but I was pretty jazzed.  My first desert piece. 

• By kiwijw
      Hi guys, Mrs JW & I had planned on going on a 4 wheel drive trip up & along the tops of a block mountain penny plain ( http://www.teara.govt.nz/en/1966/otago-mountains)
      Our plan was to get off early Saturday morning, do one of the trips & spend the night in a little old gold mining town. Do another trip Sunday & then head home. Well things turned to custard & we ended up having to do a few things before heading off.  We didnt get off until after midday. It wasnt going to be a detecting mission but part of the trip was to scope out new areas. I wasnt even going to take any detectors but Mrs JW said you would be a fool not to as you never know what you may come across up there. I had done a google earth fly over & there did seem to be a few areas of disturbed ground. So I threw in the Zed & GB2. 
      Due to our late get away we decided to head to the little old mining town & explore around that area, go to the pub for a meal & then do our 4 wheel drive trip on the sunday & then head home. So after checking in to our cabin at the camp ground we headed off to explore. Driving down the main road we passed this hydro power station dam.

This is one of two dams blocking off the mighty Clutha river. Gold all the way from start to coast. It is the longest river in the south Island & the largest water volume river in New Zealand.
      We had a very average summer with river levels staying up but the last couple of months have been pretty dry & the lakes & rivers have dropped quite a bit. Below this dam the river was down a good couple of meters from normal. Exposing a lot of bed rock. There would have to be gold in there. Under claim unfortunately.

After getting off the main road & crossing over the river we hit a single lane dirt track that followed the river for quite a long way. We came to two graves on the side of the track in the middle of now where.
      Known as "The Lonely Graves"
      Lonely Graves
      The Lonely Graves at Horseshoe Bend are a poignant reminder of the tragedies that went hand in hand with the achievements of Central Otago pioneers. This touching story has become firmly entrenched in local lore. 

The Lonely Graves are alongside the Clutha River 8km southeast of Millers Flat; turn off SH8 by the Millers Flat Bridge. Horseshoe Bend goldfield was home to about 2000 miners and shopkeepers in 1863. By 1865 the population had dropped to 72. 

Legend has it that near the end of 1865 William Rigney, an Irish miner at Horseshoe bend gold diggings, came across the body of a young, good-looking man. The police were called and permission was given for the unknown man to be buried. 

A funeral was held and attended by everyone from the diggings. William Rigney arranged for a pine slab to be erected with the words: “Somebody’s Darling Lies Buried Here.” 

William Rigney died in 1912 and according to his instructions was buried alongside the unknown man. His headstone reads: Here lies the body of William Rigney, the man who buried Somebody's Darling."  The Original pine slab head board now in a glass protection case

And William Rigney's

Sunday dawned with a slight frost but a clear blue sky day. We were off.

Climbing up we leave the green farmland pastures behind getting up in to the tussock covered natural Central Otago high country.
      A wrinkled landscape

This is the track cut down to the schist basement bed rock & shows how little ground cover there is. Wish there was gold there. The Zed would be in its element

And in the distance a beautiful lake way up there.

We were the only souls up here. BIG open country. Makes you feel soooo small.

Just stunning.

We left the lake behind & decided to shorten our trip due to our late start Saturday. We were going to carry on along the ridge of this penny plane block mountain but we had done a lot of driving & decided to head down the other side to another valley system. We passed some of the disturbed ground I had seen on google earth. It sure did look like old workings & digging piles. So we stopped for a look & the gravels were all water worn quartz gravels.

I broke out the GB2 & went for a wander. No joy. I wonder how the old timers did. May have been very fine gold. At the end of the workings it looks like the gravels have been quarried now for the road/track gravels.
      Heading on down the other side the country became littered with schist tors & rocky out crops.

We ended up going to pass not too far away from some old workings that I had detected as few years earlier & done ok on. Mrs JW said why dont you have a go with the Zed. There is still a few hours of day light left. Not needing any encouragement we turned left of this dirt track & on to another even rougher dirt track that climbed up to these workings.
      Got there, rigged up & not even two minutes in to it. BANG....a very faint signal. The grass growth had dried off a bit & so was good detecting conditions.
      Down beyond those pesty pellets & the signal was still in there.

YE HA. You beauty

A nice little speci

5 feet away another faint little signal. It too lived on down past those pellet depths. Note the bit of quartz.

Another sassy bit of gold. Small but at good depth. High Yield/Normal Sensitivity 6

I was getting the odd pellet with that sort of tell tale double hit signal. So I tried changing settings to eliminate those. Tried a few different settings. Left the sensitivity on 6. Signals dried up so didnt really persevere for too long & went back to high yield/normal. Not long after a very faint signal. Should have changed back settings & had more of a play over this signal but the day was running out of day light so I didnt.
      This signal was down a bit

A nice rough piece of gold with a small bit of quartz

Another very faint signal that lived on down & got better

Another nice little specimen piece

I was on a roll. Very faint signal. Down a bit. Signal still in the hole. I went & got the bug 2 to pin point it better as the ground was hard.

No signal with the Bug so still down a bit more. I pulled the bug out & rested its coil on the out side edge of the hole &...what was that....a signal on the bug. Probably a pellet. Scraped away a bit & signal still there. Flick in to discriminate, signal unchanged. Oh well...wasnt iron & getting down a bit for a pellet. May be a .22 lead bullet head.
      But no...a piece of gold for the Bug 2. What a hoot.

Back in to digging the hole deeper until the bug got a hit on it & it didnt discriminate out.
      Bugs little gold hole to the left. GPZ hole deeper & signal finally out.

A nice piece. Again,had a bit of dirty quartz attached

There were a few smaller bits that could easily have been pellets & with that double hit signal & then it was getting dark & still a fair drive home. What a great 2.5 hours of detecting.
      9 bits for just over 8 grams. I was happy with that.

Cheers & Good luck out there
      JW