Guest Jennifer

GPZ 19 False Signals

Guest Jennifer

Do these GPZ19's normally false at the slightest tap of a rock? I'm not sure why they put a scuff plate on it, you cant scuff with this and it gets VERY tiring having to run it 6" off the deck, seems if this is normal your giving up depth... this is 100x worse than the piece of junk Goldstalker falsing one I had. All settings the same, with the GPZ14 on no falsing at all, nice and quite... 19 all but useless... is it so hot of a coil that you need to babysit and carry it above all rocks? If that's the case it's going in the classified section, perhaps it's defective...

thx

Jen

Jen;

when I used Norm's the 19 coil seemed very stable...check your connections in the box.

fred

Guest Jennifer
7 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Jen;

when I used Norm's the 19 coil seemed very stable...check your connections in the box.

fred

Thx Fred

Jen please put up the settings you are using with the GPZ 19 coil.......if you don't want them public then PM me so I can offer some advice. The GPZ19 can be a bit touch sensitive in some gold modes due to the potted design but it is manageable. 

JP

• Like 1

Hi Jennifer

Apparently the open spoke design of the 19” coil allows the receive coils and the transmit coils to vibrate separately when bumped.  I glued a flat, cut to fit, PVC cover to the bottom of the factory skid cover.  This reduced the falsing considerably.  Perhaps the Nugget Finder skid plate will also reduce the falsing?

Also use of the GA-10 Guide Arm helps to control the 19” coil and prevents bumping into so many rocks and stubble. 

Otherwise maybe you can compare your coil side by side with someone else using the same settings to determine whether to send it back for a replacement.  

My 14” coil is solid and quiet.  But I have a friend that has falsing on both size coils.

Have a good day,
Chet

• Like 2

Guest Jennifer
On 4/16/2017 at 1:17 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

Jen please put up the settings you are using with the GPZ 19 coil.......if you don't want them public then PM me so I can offer some advice. The GPZ19 can be a bit touch sensitive in some gold modes due to the potted design but it is manageable. 

JP

Thanks JP... will get those settings to you in a PM, as soon as the tingling leaves my fingers and I can feel my hand again.

:-)

Kidding....  the weights fine, but I think I'm going hip stick as well, this S&M/B&D harness (the aftermarket one I mean, not the Pro-Swing) setup weighs as much as the coil and detector do it seems.... egads....

Thanks again, will PM you this week.

Jen

If your into DYO skid plates Phoneixs Poly-Carb( search this 4M) cuts most of those false signals completely and allows a higher sensitivity setting, or as Chet has done glued a PVC sheet cut out to coil. It cuts the distortion of the windings when it jars against rocks or stubble I suspect. But I imagine this will void your warranty, I have found the 19 is a quieter coil then the 14 once this is done. Plus of course follow JPs settings to the letter. The Z is a diff beast to the Xs but once you are one with it, it is magic.

• Like 1

When I got my 19 I looked at the cover and went nuts.  I couldn't use THAT the way it was supplied.

I painted it with undercoat (a bit stiffer) and put silicone all the way around to keep the sand out.  I never hear the falsing problems like you are talking about.

I've got some makrolon/lexan (the Norvic solution) to cut to shape that I am going to attach to the cover with the picture hangers like Lunk used.

Mitchel

I have a 19 inch coil that has the same issues.  I sent mine back and got a new one from minelab that's worse than the first one. We should not have to hillbilly minelabs coils  to make them work properly,  they cost too much as it is. This is a tool to get gold. Tools are supposed to be made strong and durable.  I guess they should've made it like the 14 inch solid coil instead of a  spoked coil. 

• Like 5

I guess it comes down to weight, if it were made bullet proof, cost would be more and how would we carry it? Myself I`ll be applying the poly-carb (Hillbilly, Backyard, DYO or the newer buzz word Maker) solution to replace all skid plates as they wear, even on coin machines. Lightweight, easy to do, tough and gets the gold but no doubt voids your warranty. The other solution is to simply turn your sensitivity & volume down or was with my stock standard 19 now been turbo`d.