Strider55

Wanted - Mods For TDI Metal Detector

Need mods done for my tdi. My sister has some property with an old township on it. Would like higher voltage batteries also. Can you put batteries in before mods or after? Thanks strider55 :biggrin:

Last I knew, Reg had quit working on mods. Said he had a friend thinking about doing it, but no decision so far.

Jim

Thanks jim i did read one of his post and sent an email a week ago monday.this was before i joined this forum today. I live about an 11/2 north of him. I will send another email.   Strider55.   Thanks fredmason.

• Like 1

If you find somebody doing the mods, please post it. I'd like to have Reg's mods for the SL done to mine. Need somebody with micro soldering skills from what Reg told me.

Jim

I believe White's is in the process designing a new battery pack for the SL to increase input to 14-16 volts (from the existing 12volts.) which by itself will substantially increase performance..... especially on small gold. There may be other mods the engineers at White's are considering to improve the SL's performance as well. You might want to sit back and wait a bit.........Rob

• Like 1

I'm already using a 4 cell L-ion pack. 16.8 volts with a fresh charge. Steve Howard said that was about all the voltage the SL could handle. Reg had a couple of mods that allowed a faster sweep speed without losing sensitivity on small gold. I've got the writeup on those, just need the right technician to get it done. I was a radar tech in the Air Force, but Reg said it required somebody with experience in current devices.

Jim

Hi jim im going into surgery here in a few hours ill have to get back to you next week depending how this goes. Ill let you know the status on the mods for the tdi's after im throuth with this. Hard Prospector sent me a post that the whites engineers are considering making some changes to the tdi sl for better performance. You might call whites and inqui.     Strider55

• Like 1

All the best on your surgery.....I'll add a couple of prayers tonight. I hope Hard is right on Whites improving the SL.

Jim

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By GB_Amateur
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/Whites-TDI-BIGFOOT-coil-58cm-X-12cm-21-75-x5-75-foam-filled-custom-cable-length/292336750623?hash=item4410a0d01f:g:YwQAAOSwvTpaB8E9
    • By Mark Gillespie
      You might be thinking, what is the big deal, but...
      This dime came from a hunted out site using the TDI and the OZ 12" coil.  The coil was loaned to me by GB_Amateur aka Steve.  I have been hunting this small area, maybe 50' x 100' for over 2 years.  This site has given up many silver and copper coins.  The site has also been hunted by two of my hunting buddies using the CTX 3030, Whites DFX, Fisher F75 and of course the TDI.  The OZ coil is super deep in this area and extremely stable.  I also dug over 10 nice large nails prior to finding this dime.  I must admit I had been purposely looking for only the deeper sounding targets and ignoring the shallow one.  I might add one more thing, all the nails sounded about the same, but I dug anyway.  On the other hand the dime sounded strange compared to the nails.  Can't explain the actual sound, but hope to soon, hear it again.   If possible I might try to record the actual audio and post for all to hear.
      May be a few days before getting to hunt again, weather will turn much colder this weekend. 
      Thanks again Steve.

• By Mark Gillespie
      Revisited the bad lands today. This time settings were a little different. Still a lot of nails in this area, but this time I opted to hear only low conductors and it paid off. One 10k GF and a nice 10k class ring.
      And of course the double handfuls of beer tabs, beaver tails and pencil erasers.
      All in all a pretty good hunt.
      Todays settings were:
      gain 6
      GB 6
      delay 18
      low conductors

• By Steve Herschbach
      Over ten years ago I was pushing pretty hard on the idea that high power pulse induction detectors would eventually find use for more than just nugget detecting. Relic hunters in bad ground seemed a particularly obvious situation where PI detectors could pick up where the VLFs left off.
      Daniel TN just made a great post over at Dankowski’s about the shift from VLF to PI, and how the PI use progressed up the power ladder from Garrett Infinium to White’s TDI to Minelab GPX.
      I ended up calling this Steve’s Law Of Target Depletion. The basic premise is that if high value targets exist, people will start with discriminating VLF detectors and dig the easy targets. However, knowing good finds remain, over time more trash is dug and more powerful detectors used. As long as any chance of a good find remains, this progression will ultimately deplete a good location of all targets, good and bad.
      Prospectors see this all the time. A location will start with trash and gold. VLFs cherry pick out the easy stuff. Then the “dig it all” troops go to work. Sooner or later you get to where just finding a target, any target, gets to be a challenge. Yet as long as a single target remains, good finds still might happen. If nothing else the trash can hide good targets lurking below, and so even trash remaining can be a good sign. You can never call a place detected out until no targets at all remain in the ground that can be found. And even then, a newer, more powerful detector may make the place come to life again, at least for a time.
    • By rcbrind
      I'm new to the forum which is excellent, I'm thinking of upgrading to either the ATX or the TDI pro, the machine will be used mostly on the beach, but an ability to coin shoot would be excellent. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    • By tboykin
      One of our dealers sent me this email today. NO I don't know the guy's name and YES if I find out who it is you can be damn sure I will try and get permission to go detecting with him next time:

"My customer, (who would like to remain anonymous) a Southern Oregon Gold Dredger that loves to be out in our mountains all year round. He spends his summer weekends in the water with his dredge. A few years ago, he decided to try his hand at Metal Detecting the ground his has been traipsing over for 25 or 30 years. We discuss his options. He has had an MXT for years, but for Placer Gold it just wasn’t going to avoid the hot rocks and cover the tuff ground that he wants to look in. I sent him out with my demo GMT and my personal TDI SL. Clearly the TDI SL was the right choice for his highly mineralized ground. So the machine was decided. He also wanted the right coil for HIS ground. He works a lot of shallow bedrock, also right on the edge of the creek and up the bank often following bedrock. He decided on the SMALLEST folded mono coil we could find with the elliptical shape. His terrain is tuff, rocks and trees in all the right places / wrong places, depending on if something is found.   Fast Forward 2 Years: He has had a very exciting year. Finding the smallest picker first and getting bigger each time. He has purchased a second coil to cover more ground and get the optimal depth. We have also just finished our research for an increased voltage battery for the best performance and longer run time on the bigger coil.   Thank you for all your support Please enjoy the pictures of your successful product!"