• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.
Strider55

Wanted - Mods For TDI Metal Detector

Need mods done for my tdi. My sister has some property with an old township on it. Would like higher voltage batteries also. Can you put batteries in before mods or after? Thanks strider55 :biggrin:

Last I knew, Reg had quit working on mods. Said he had a friend thinking about doing it, but no decision so far.

Jim

Thanks jim i did read one of his post and sent an email a week ago monday.this was before i joined this forum today. I live about an 11/2 north of him. I will send another email.   Strider55.   Thanks fredmason.

• Like 1

If you find somebody doing the mods, please post it. I'd like to have Reg's mods for the SL done to mine. Need somebody with micro soldering skills from what Reg told me.

Jim

I believe White's is in the process designing a new battery pack for the SL to increase input to 14-16 volts (from the existing 12volts.) which by itself will substantially increase performance..... especially on small gold. There may be other mods the engineers at White's are considering to improve the SL's performance as well. You might want to sit back and wait a bit.........Rob

• Like 1

I'm already using a 4 cell L-ion pack. 16.8 volts with a fresh charge. Steve Howard said that was about all the voltage the SL could handle. Reg had a couple of mods that allowed a faster sweep speed without losing sensitivity on small gold. I've got the writeup on those, just need the right technician to get it done. I was a radar tech in the Air Force, but Reg said it required somebody with experience in current devices.

Jim

Hi jim im going into surgery here in a few hours ill have to get back to you next week depending how this goes. Ill let you know the status on the mods for the tdi's after im throuth with this. Hard Prospector sent me a post that the whites engineers are considering making some changes to the tdi sl for better performance. You might call whites and inqui.     Strider55

• Like 1

All the best on your surgery.....I'll add a couple of prayers tonight. I hope Hard is right on Whites improving the SL.

Jim

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Mark Gillespie
      Well a good while back I finally decided and purchased a Whites TDI SL. 
      As always, each new machine has to pass through my test garden.

Did some detailed work in my test garden yesterday using the TDI Sl. First results are very promising. Settings were, pulse delay 10, ground balance 7 ½, gain max threshold just audible.
      I have a copper rivet buried at 7” about the size of the end of a pencil eraser a 6 ½” quarter, dime, nickel and penny along with each at 4 ½” deep in a different part of the test bed. In addition to these I purposely left nails where they were when I planted the garden over 7 years ago. Please keep in mind these were the depths when I put them in the ground, so the exact depth is not known after 7 years.
      Starting off in high conductor mode each (except the nickels) gave a very good, smooth audio in every direction except the nails which gave a completely different sound, very much different. Keep in mind I’m still in a steep learning curve, by no means close to experienced but having a fantastic time on my journey.
      After listening to the differences between the coins and nails I reduced the gain to about half and listen to each target again. I continued reducing the gain little by little until the deep coins and rivet ceased giving a audio response and that was about gain 3 ½. Raising the gain back to 4 and the coins gave a very faint, low volume tone.
      Wanting to play a little I raised the pulse rate, re-ground balanced and checked each target with a gain setting of 6. The biggest difference came when the pulse rate was set above 20. The coins still gave a good audio, but the rivet, which is very small compared to the coins, became difficult to hear, very statically, extremely low in volume. All in all I had a very enjoyable evening, very educational.

Mark Gillespie
    • By Mark Gillespie
      A few things I've learned about coal waste hunting.

I started inquiring about some old locations I hunt.  Most of the locations are old, shut down schools where coal was used as a heating source for decades.  Before the EPA was birthed most people did what ever pleased them when it came to disposing of waste, regardless of what it was and these old school sites are no exception. The burnt coal waste was spread over many acres of school property which created some extremely harsh ground conditions.  Grass and weeds find it hard to get a start and most areas are void of any vegetation. Most of the school grounds look like Martian landscapes with small BB size or smaller pieces of coal waste everywhere. This material attracts to a magnet with little effort and can reduce depth of all VLF detectors by well over half. In fact until recently maximum detection depth was actually 2-3”.  Any target deeper would give a solid iron audio report if any sound at all. After many years of hunting these areas, all but completely unsuccessfully, I finally purchase a White’s TDI SL. 
      It turned out the SL opened up these old sites and many nice coins, relics and gold jewelry were unearthed, but not without many trials and numerous adjustments.  
      Case in point: one particular area had been, in my opinion hunted out with many different VLF machines (ranging in cost from $250 - $2000) over a 10 year period and I was certain there were no good targets left.  
      Now I’m going to fast forward 2 years of hunting experience and mention a couple very important and rewarding hunting trips that might help someone.  
      Settings: sensitivity 6, ground balance 7 ½, pulse delay 10 and conductivity set to high and used the stock 12” dual field coil
      First was an old school site where both coal waste and nails are very abundant.  I had been hunting about 15 minutes and all the SL was giving were very short audio reports, which sounded more like chatter or EMI and not targets.  This prompted me to increase the time delay to about 15 , which increases the time before a transmitted signal is analyzed, thinking the small pieces of coal waste were the short reports (partial masking) I was hearing. Continued hunting another 5 minutes and noticed the short audio chatter continued but not to the same magnitude. Stopping and increased the delay to around 17 and off I went hunting again.  Suddenly I noticed the machine was running very quiet, to quiet.  
      A minute or two later and a very loud low tone, which on the SL means a high conductor, I stopped and reduced the delay to 10 and found my definite answer. The coal waste was causing the ground chatter and false audio reports.  Increased the delay back to 17 and recovered a wheat penny around 4” deep.  Now to be honest I had to stop for a moment and think about what just happened.  Decided to start over I returned to where I began hunting and discovered I had passed right over many good targets.  After digging a few more wheat pennies and a silver dime I decided to start checking these targets before digging and discovered if I decreased the delay most of these targets became the short sounding audio reports I had heard earlier. The PI was just the trick to discovering some nice coins deeper than 4” in these barren areas.   From this site I learned the time delay helps with eliminating small metallic pieces from interfering with coins and other relics.  
      I must admit, at times, I tend to over think some of my hunting trips but the thought came to mind. What if there was gold jewelry in the area where I was hunting coins (conductivity high)?   Yes I could have been hunting with a setting of all but the area is so polluted with targets I chose only high.
      So another trip to the same site with only two setting changes pulse delay 15 and conductivity set to low.  In addition to this I change, I opted for the smaller 7 /12” dual field coil.  Again the delay settings helped with the coal waste problem mentioned above and allowed me to hunt with a little sanity. 
      Less than 15 minutes later came my first ring, not gold but gold plated, but that helped motivate me to keep going.  Dug a couple beer pull tabs and finally a nice gold class ring came to light.  What a very rewarding hunt it turned out to be. 
      Mark Gillespie 2017

• By Mark Gillespie
      To start with I must confess and hope the following information doesn't give the wrong impression about the TDI SL.  It has a lot of potential, but only in certain locations not loaded with a lot of nails. 
      I started inquiring about some old locations I hunt. Most of the locations are old, shut down schools where coal was used as a heating source for decades.
      Before the EPA was birthed most people did what ever pleased them when it came to disposing of waste, regardless of what it was and these old school sites are no exception. The burnt coal waste was spread over many acres of school property which created some extremely harsh ground conditions. Grass and weeds find it hard to get a start and most areas are void of any vegetation. Most of the school grounds look like Martian landscapes with small BB size or smaller pieces of coal waste everywhere. This material attracts to a magnet with little effort and can reduce depth of all VLF detectors by well over half. In fact until recently maximum detection depth was actually 2-3”, any target deeper would give a solid iron audio report if any sound at all. After many years of hunting these areas all but completely unsuccessfully I finally purchase a White’s TDI SL.
      It turned out the SL opened up these old sites and many nice coins and relics were unearthed, but not without many trials and numerous adjustments.
      Case in point: one particular area had been, in my opinion hunted out with many different VLF machines over a 10 year period and I was certain there were no good targets left. I had been hunting about 15 minutes and all the SL was giving were very short audio reports, which sounded more like chatter or EMI and not targets. This prompted me to increase the time delay to about 15 “which increases the time before a transmitted signal is analyzed” thinking the small pieces of coal waste were the short reports I was hearing. Continued hunting another 5 minutes and noticed the short audio chatter continued but not to the same magnitude. Stopping and increased the delay to around 17 and off I went hunting again. Suddenly I noticed the machine was running very quiet, to quiet.
      A minute or two later and a very loud low tone, which on the SL means a high conductor, I stopped and reduced the delay to 10 and found my definite answer. The coal waste was causing all the ground chatter and false audio reports. Increased the delay to 17 and recovered a wheat penny around 4” deep. Now to be honest I had to stop for a moment and think about what just happened. Decided to start over I returned to where I began hunting and discovered I had passed right over many good targets. After digging a few more wheat’s I decided to start checking these targets before digging and discovered if I decreased the delay most of these targets became the short sounding audio reports I had heard earlier. The PI was just the trick to discovering some nice coins deeper than 4” in these barren areas.
      I must add the SL is not the best choice to make if there is an over abundance of nails because of the very limited discrimination capabilities of this particular machine. As a final note I must admit this machine has opened up a lot of hunted out harsh ground sites.

• By Mark Gillespie
      Recent discovery of the conductivity switch on my White's TDI SL.
      The video shows what I've found.
      It also works the same with the 7 1/2" dual field coil.
      Just the opposite happens if you run the machine with the conductivity switch to high, low conductors are also heard.
      These results are the same as in ground targets to about 4" deep.

More information to follow......

• By EMoss#83
      I followed all the coin settings per Steve and others on the Internet ( high conductivity ,GB on 4 then 1.5, gain max, 10 s,) and she still sings on nails and everything else , I was getting signals on almost every swing, it was not silencing any iron like the videos by the southern fella, I am just going for coins where I have already hit with the mxt. Help please 
    • By Mark Gillespie
      Revisited the bad lands today. This time settings were a little different. Still a lot of nails in this area, but this time I opted to hear only low conductors and it paid off. One 10k GF and a nice 10k class ring.
      And of course the double handfuls of beer tabs, beaver tails and pencil erasers.
      All in all a pretty good hunt.
      Todays settings were:
      gain 6
      GB 6
      delay 18
      low conductors