How To Load Claim Maps Onto Garmin Gps?

So now that I have a Rino, what's the best way to put claim maps on it? Or do i need to use some of the online map sites and plug my own lat/longs into a custom route? I downloaded the base camp app and have watch the tutorials, its just gonna take a while to build surrounding claims and such by hand.

From http://www8.garmin.com/outdoor/custommaps_instruct.pdf

Create Your Own Garmin Custom Map

Before downloading your custom map, you must install the latest software for your device. Visit http://my.garmin.com for more information.

When creating your custom map, be responsible and only create a custom map from a map that is in the public domain, that you hold the copyright in, or that you have permission to use from the copyright holder.

To discuss custom maps with others, please visit our Garmin Custom Maps developer forums.

More GPS Map Tutorials Here

Garmin Compatible Custom Maps Available Here.

IMG_0327.PNG

IMG_0328.PNG

IMG_0329.PNG

IMG_0330.PNG

Woah, that is a much better way to do that. I will do more research before asking more questions about labeling and such. Thanks Steve.

Trickiest part about the instructions (strangely enough) is the alignment after you've inserted the image.  If you are getting google earth images to your garmin, sometimes it is good to record the coordinates of the corners of your map that you are going to repaste in.  Using Steve's instructions, say I want to paste a certain google earth area onto my garmin.  My steps are:

1)  Go to google earth and mark the 4 corners I am going to export to my garmin

2)  Take the screenshot capturing only the area within the 4 corners

3)  Insert overlay into google earth and use the 4 corner points to realign the image (being sure to adjust transparency)

4)  Once it has been adjusted and saved in google earth, export it to a .KMZ format

5)  Open Garmin Basecamp and import it into there.

6)  Now you can right click it in Basecamp and send it to your Garmin.

This is the method I have to use to get stuff to my Garmin Montana GPS.

If you just want outline claims, just create a polygon shape in google earth and export it as a .kml.    No alignment adjustment necessary.  Then import it to Basecamp and your Garmin the same way.

It sounds time consuming but you get used to it.

If you just want google earth aerials, consider paying for Garmin's service called Birdseye.   It's part of Basecamp and makes it very easy to get any aerial image to your Garmin.  Can't remember the yearly cost.  I got it free the first year I had my Garmin.

Andy

• Like 1

Thanks Andy! Luckily most of the ones I did so far were in areas that had some good terrain features to help line it up. I didnt know about the polygons though, and I might try those out next. I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to find claim points though. Alaska's adfg website is good because it shows the actual claim locations, but places like mylandmatters on list in large section and tell you how many claims are inside it, without specific data. How easy is it to request one, or many of those, from the blm? Is it something you can do on the internet or is there a different location I should go to find it?

Look for the google download for PLSS. This will allow you to view township and range with the section number.  Then you can look up the Notice of Location on the county recorder website to know how to draw it fairly accurately within the section number.   mylandmatters should give at least a corner too (nw, sw, ne, se). Sometimes this is enough.  Sometimes not.  But this is the only way I know of locating since geocommunicator is not supported anymore.  Other than that, you can purchase Footprint software .... but these are only updated once a year.  It really depends how good your county recorder is to work with.  As for blm, this will only get you history and other details.  Not the exact location.

Oh excellent, so in the BLM report that comes up, when it lists the coordinates, if it then states Subdivision: SW, the actual area claimed is SW or that is the SW corner? That helps a lot though, because if the claim is a 160 acres and is a standard square shape, I know I can track a half-mile straight north or south and stay in bounds, or draw a polygon like you stated earlier.

• Like 1

Sure 160 acres and 640 acres is easy.  But sometimes they cross between NW to SW for example.  Also, here in AZ, the most common claim size is probably 20 acres.  Soooo, you see the necessity to getting familiar with the county web site.  :)   

• Like 1