• Announcements

• Steve Herschbach

Archives Closed - New Forums   10/16/2017

The old archive system has been closed and the threads moved to new forums. See the full forum listing here. Detailed explanation here.

First was a GMT, then TDI SL, GB2, T2, ATX, GPX 4800, SDC 2300 (my favorite), GPZ 7000, CTX 3030.  Sold GMT, TDI SL, ATX, and have been tempted several times to sell 7000🤔.

1962 Detectron then a Metrotech then a step backward with a Whites BFO Goldmaster..

My first ever detector was a Dick Smith VLF kit set that I had to put together. It came with all the separate electronic bits & pieces. Printed circuit board but had to solder all the diodes in place & in the right places :biggrin:. Had to wind the coil wires, DD, & set them up with correct overlap & actually had to make the coil housing to suit & silicon the wires in place. Had to make detector shaft & handle set up from PVC pipe & jointers & bends. Came with a control box but had to drill holes for the pots & head phone jack & put them in the right places & solder up the wires. Was a bit of fun. Got it finished & raced down to the beach. In the first minute I found a big pyramid shaped sinker that must have been for a long line set up that some one had lost in the sand. That was a hoot. My first bought detector was a 2nd hand Garrett Treasure Ace 300 & a Garrett Master Hunter 7X. I found a heap of stuff with the 300. Coffee jars full of coins.

2XGarretts.jpg

Here are just a few Ace 300 finds.

detectorfinds3.jpg

detectorfinds.jpg

detectorfinds1.jpg

I then got a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. That was about it for the coin & relic detectors. I then cut my teeth on gold detectors with the GP 3000. I have never gone back to coin & relic hunting since the 3000. Got totally hooked on the gold hunt & all my detectors since the 3000 have all been gold machines. Had the 3000 from new & had it for years. Ended up with two 3000's Totally  LOVED That machine :wub:. Eventually got a 4000....but only for about a month before getting the chance to buy a 4500. Ended up LOVING that machine too & have ended up with two of them. One being a Woody modified one. Sold both the 3000's. Got an Infinium & have never even used it :unsure:  In the VLF range of gold detectors my first was a Whites Goldmaster 4B hip/chest mount version. Then a GMT. Have ended up with two GMT's. :rolleyes: Even got a Whites MXT 300 which is all Steve H's fault. :biggrin: I got it for bucket dredge tailings piles after seeing his success in Alaska back in his AKMDS days. I have yet to be successful with it. Those piles are bloody hard work. More so when they haven't been leveled out with a bulldozer & are full of lead & brass from rabbit & goat shooters:angry:.  My favorite VLF gold machine has been the Gold Bug 2, but that is mostly from using it in conjunction with the 4500 & now the Zed in pin pointing & discriminating. That may change with the Gold Monster 1000. Time will tell. Might be hard to beat the GB2 for the purpose I use it for though. Love that tiny sniper coil & the ease of use & with discrimination. I got a new SDC 2300 but most of you will know that I am not a fan of it. Not long ago I got a Garrett Gold Hunter A2B in great condition at a good price & just for an antique collector piece. I still have all the above machines except the 3000's. Oh...better not forget the Falcon MD20. That is quite a neat piece of kit too.

Cheers

Good luck out there

JW :smile: 

• Like 5

My 1st Detector was a Heath kit and radio shack I got for a 2 for 1 deal as a kid at a yard sale. From hard earned money from mowing lawns too. And raking pine needles, shoveling snow, picking up dog sausages. Then acquired a old whites goldmaster. Then a whites spectrum. 

Then after the dredging moratorium started. I wanted to learning detecting for gold. Got a new whites goldmaster. But that didn't fill my need to find bigger pieces of gold that I was used too from dredging. So I saved and was able to get a GPX 5000. And was able to learn the ropes from some experienced people. Then had a sdc 2300 for a spell. Then got the 7000. Also have the xp deus and makro gold racer. 

• Like 1

Garrett ace 250...at-pro...x-terra 705..gold bug pro...now i have xp deus.at-gold and garrett atx😎

2010 Borrowed bounty hunter, immediately got an ACE 250, found clad for 6 months.

fazed out on detecting for a couple years.

2014 got an MXT pro to find nuggets, maybe hunt relics. I found one nugget, then spent 1000's of hours relic hunting and loving every minute of it!

Still want to find some more nuggets! 😁

Edit: I may get a Deus someday, or AT pro at least, change it up a bit.

Detectron 7-T...................1980   was 12 years old. Damn time flies......just not United ! :biggrin:

First one was few years back GP3000 followed by Gpx4500 then Gpx5000.

GoldEn

A Tandy detector in the parts bin,$20.Found a penny first day out at a massive 1" deep.Upgraded to a whites 5000D,sovereign,2100,3000,4500,5000 and Sdc then sold the Sdc for another 5000 for the wife.

My first metal detector was a Heathkit that my brother and I built in the 1960's. We used a soldering iron to assemble the circuit board and wrapped the wire for the two "tuned" coils that were electronically balanced by a Wheatstone bridge type circuit. 

Silver coins were easy to find at the beach. This was when a pack of baseball cards cost 5 cents. I also found a diamond ring and was able to return it to the lady who lost it by posting a notice at the beach.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Azavsfan
      Hello all. I haven't posted in a long time but have been busy! No hunting over the summer due to the wonderful Yuma weather we have. I started college in the fall so hunting didn't start until a few weeks ago. No sooner had I started the SDC up and it had problems. Bad falsing and audio cutouts/volume hi/lo variations. Tried different batteries and cleaning out skid plate w/no help. Minelab said send it back, again, and it's off. Not the same problem I had with first SDC in March, but similar and I'm really bummed as my winter break is over 11 Jan and so goes my hunting time. Fortunately we have a friend here that has a spare md for me to use (Thanks Condor/Steve!). Of the few times out, I did manage to find an old coin spill w/one silver Merc (1943S), an undated Buff and a 55 Lincoln cent. Jan school will be interesting since I'll be taking Geology 101 and my classmate is also my detecting buddy who is better known as Dad. I look forward to it but want my SDC back. Good luck and Merry Christmas to all!     

• By Mike Hillis
      Woke up Friday to snow and packed and icy roads.  Got to work before they closed all the roads behind me.  I was like 5 minutes ahead of the road closures.  If I'd known that I'd stayed home.
      The temps dropped so low this weekend I didn't get out.  Ground would have been frozen.   Hoping for a better weekend next week as I found another hot spot to hunt that I think will be productive.
      Hope the rest of you got out for a chance at silver or gold.
      HH
      Mike
    • By Steve Herschbach
      There are many things for me to be thankful about right now. Mainly I am thankful that all my family and friends are in decent health. If you ever lose that you find out nothing else really mattered.
      Going into my second winter in Reno I sure am glad I am not still in Alaska. Highs in the 20s and lows in the teens in Anchorage at the moment. If I were there I would have put my detectors away a month ago and would have five more months to wait to use them again.
      Instead, today I drove over to California to test out some detectors around an old mining camp. Did not find anything of note but learned a lot. Mainly I learned I am liking 60 degrees in late November!
      Of course it can't last but no matter what it will seem like it is over before it even starts by my standards. And Arizona is just a days drive away if I wish, though I am finding I do need at least a little down time every year.
      Life is good here, and I hope it is for each and every one of you also. Happy Thanksgiving!
    • By Lagerphone
      Good day or evening to all wich ever the case may be. Have  been haunting this site for a while lots of good impartial info. Been detecting for just over a year an this has been my go to particularly for info on equipment. 
      Thanks
      Regards
      Lp
    • By rumblefish
      Not sure where this belongs, but I felt like posting it today.

Yesterday, someone who I follow on YouTube (a football/soccer fan) was having a very bad day. One of his dogs, who often features in his video chats, had been diagnosed with cancer and he was understandably devastated. Looking at the supportive comments from the other regulars on his channel, it was heart warming to see the support for a "friend" from such a small, but close community.

Visiting this board is also like that. The sense of comradeship between people who genuinely love what they do is very inspiring. I'm glad I found this little community and I would like to thank Steve and everyone else who contributes.

That's all really. Have a good day everyone.
    • By Treasuredude
      Hello All,

My name is Jeffery Sarvis, and I am a friend of Steve Herschbach. Steve is somebody that I have always respected because he tells it like he sees it...and I appreciate people who are open and honest. After talking with Steve today, he invited me to introduce who I am, as well to what I do. I started metal detecting in late 2006. It was something that I had always wanted to do, but never found time to do. After being married for five years, my wife said, that I needed a hobby other than her...and that how my dream began.

I bought an Ace 250, joined a local treasure (coin) club, as well as a Prospector club. I went to the meetings, took part in the hunts and events, played with my detector everyday, and learned how to operate my detector. After a year had went by, I had found a lot of clad, but nothing of value yet...so I started doing research on where to hunt for gold, coins, and relics...but had always wanted to find gold nuggets the most. So, one day at the prospectors meeting, a member who happen to be a Geologist, had a hand full of nuggets he had brought for show and tell. I was very excited about the gold he had (about 8 ounces). I asked him where he found the gold, and he said, Ganes Creek in Alaska. He shared with me who the contact was, and for the next six months we had a few conversations on where to look if and when I went.

At this time, I was ready to step up to a detector that had more options...so I traded in my Ace 250 and paid the difference for a White's MXT. For the next six months, I learned the MXT inside and out, continued to do research, talked with the Geologist, and waited until June of 2008 came to go to Ganes Creek. So, I got to Ganes Creek on a Sunday, and it was on a Wednesday afternoon that I found my first gold nugget, a 1.3 ounce of gold with quartz. I did my happy dance and was satisfied and content with what I had, but still had three days to go. So, the next morning, I started detecting and thinking about what the Geologist said, about where all the big nuggets were be found...in the cobbles piles. Off I went and got a signal that over loaded the MXT, I took a scoop with my pick, and two inches in the cobbles, I found a 12.3 ounce gold nugget. For the point I was hooked, and contined to find gold every year except 2013.

Now fast forwarding...I have been to Alaska every year since 2008. Ganes (2008, 10, 11, and the last year 2012.) Moore Creek, 2009, and Alaska Gold and Resort in Nome, 2013, 14, and three year in a row.) Three of the trips, Steve was in the group. Today, I am the Owner of Treasuredude Detectors based in Seattle, WA. I am a dealer that sells out of my home, and have a website. I have been a Garrett dealer for the past five years and have just become a Makro and XP dealer. I am not here to be a salesman, and I want you to know that I tell everybody, that I am a hobbyists first, and a dealer second. I am here like Steve to educate, facilitate, promote and protect our hobby. I am a active member of four Treasure clubs here in Washington, an active treasure hunter, offer free, full scope metal detecting trainings, (leave no trace) and will talk you ear off about detecting because this has become my passion

I did join the forum back in September and shared my story of finding just over an ounce of gold in 7 pieces...found at Alaska Gold and Resort... but have not been active with the treasure forums. When I started my business, I wanted to be like Steve and Charles Garrett who are hobbyists as well as dealers. I want to give back like all the people who was there for me in the beginning. Now let me say, that I do not profess to know everything about detecting, and I know that I am not a great writer, but I do know how to use both VLF and PI's. I personally, have found all of my Gold nuggets, gold rings, and silver coins with VLF's (MXT, G2, AT Pro/Gold, and now with the Makro Racer and Gold Racer when released). So, I can address questions in regards to VLF's more because of personal use and choice. However, it my duty as a dealer to know what I sell, so I make it a point to know a fair amount about PI's, but there are members on this forum who know way more then I do, due to their personal experiences. Please feel free to visit my website to see my pictures of my find, and do please visit the about section and you will see, that I am who I say I am. Last of all, I really enjoy metal detecting for the excitement of finding something that has be lost, having the beach to myself, for the exercise, for the freedom, for the hobby and most important, the people I meet. Looking forward to being and active member to this forum.

Thank you,

Jeffery Sarvis
      Treasuredude Detectors
      Jeffery@treasuredudedetectors.com
      www.treasuredudedetectors.com