Sourdough Scott

What Was Your 1st Detector?

43 posts in this topic

First was a GMT, then TDI SL, GB2, T2, ATX, GPX 4800, SDC 2300 (my favorite), GPZ 7000, CTX 3030.  Sold GMT, TDI SL, ATX, and have been tempted several times to sell 7000🤔.

1962 Detectron then a Metrotech then a step backward with a Whites BFO Goldmaster..

My first ever detector was a Dick Smith VLF kit set that I had to put together. It came with all the separate electronic bits & pieces. Printed circuit board but had to solder all the diodes in place & in the right places :biggrin:. Had to wind the coil wires, DD, & set them up with correct overlap & actually had to make the coil housing to suit & silicon the wires in place. Had to make detector shaft & handle set up from PVC pipe & jointers & bends. Came with a control box but had to drill holes for the pots & head phone jack & put them in the right places & solder up the wires. Was a bit of fun. Got it finished & raced down to the beach. In the first minute I found a big pyramid shaped sinker that must have been for a long line set up that some one had lost in the sand. That was a hoot. My first bought detector was a 2nd hand Garrett Treasure Ace 300 & a Garrett Master Hunter 7X. I found a heap of stuff with the 300. Coffee jars full of coins.

2XGarretts.jpg

Here are just a few Ace 300 finds.

detectorfinds3.jpg

detectorfinds.jpg

detectorfinds1.jpg

I then got a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. That was about it for the coin & relic detectors. I then cut my teeth on gold detectors with the GP 3000. I have never gone back to coin & relic hunting since the 3000. Got totally hooked on the gold hunt & all my detectors since the 3000 have all been gold machines. Had the 3000 from new & had it for years. Ended up with two 3000's Totally  LOVED That machine :wub:. Eventually got a 4000....but only for about a month before getting the chance to buy a 4500. Ended up LOVING that machine too & have ended up with two of them. One being a Woody modified one. Sold both the 3000's. Got an Infinium & have never even used it :unsure:  In the VLF range of gold detectors my first was a Whites Goldmaster 4B hip/chest mount version. Then a GMT. Have ended up with two GMT's. :rolleyes: Even got a Whites MXT 300 which is all Steve H's fault. :biggrin: I got it for bucket dredge tailings piles after seeing his success in Alaska back in his AKMDS days. I have yet to be successful with it. Those piles are bloody hard work. More so when they haven't been leveled out with a bulldozer & are full of lead & brass from rabbit & goat shooters:angry:.  My favorite VLF gold machine has been the Gold Bug 2, but that is mostly from using it in conjunction with the 4500 & now the Zed in pin pointing & discriminating. That may change with the Gold Monster 1000. Time will tell. Might be hard to beat the GB2 for the purpose I use it for though. Love that tiny sniper coil & the ease of use & with discrimination. I got a new SDC 2300 but most of you will know that I am not a fan of it. Not long ago I got a Garrett Gold Hunter A2B in great condition at a good price & just for an antique collector piece. I still have all the above machines except the 3000's. Oh...better not forget the Falcon MD20. That is quite a neat piece of kit too.

Cheers

Good luck out there

JW :smile: 

5 people like this

My 1st Detector was a Heath kit and radio shack I got for a 2 for 1 deal as a kid at a yard sale. From hard earned money from mowing lawns too. And raking pine needles, shoveling snow, picking up dog sausages. Then acquired a old whites goldmaster. Then a whites spectrum. 

Then after the dredging moratorium started. I wanted to learning detecting for gold. Got a new whites goldmaster. But that didn't fill my need to find bigger pieces of gold that I was used too from dredging. So I saved and was able to get a GPX 5000. And was able to learn the ropes from some experienced people. Then had a sdc 2300 for a spell. Then got the 7000. Also have the xp deus and makro gold racer. 

1 person likes this

Garrett ace 250...at-pro...x-terra 705..gold bug pro...now i have xp deus.at-gold and garrett atx😎

2010 Borrowed bounty hunter, immediately got an ACE 250, found clad for 6 months.

fazed out on detecting for a couple years.

2014 got an MXT pro to find nuggets, maybe hunt relics. I found one nugget, then spent 1000's of hours relic hunting and loving every minute of it!

Still want to find some more nuggets! 😁

Edit: I may get a Deus someday, or AT pro at least, change it up a bit.

Detectron 7-T...................1980   was 12 years old. Damn time flies......just not United ! :biggrin:

First one was few years back GP3000 followed by Gpx4500 then Gpx5000.

GoldEn

A Tandy detector in the parts bin,$20.Found a penny first day out at a massive 1" deep.Upgraded to a whites 5000D,sovereign,2100,3000,4500,5000 and Sdc then sold the Sdc for another 5000 for the wife.

My first metal detector was a Heathkit that my brother and I built in the 1960's. We used a soldering iron to assemble the circuit board and wrapped the wire for the two "tuned" coils that were electronically balanced by a Wheatstone bridge type circuit. 

Silver coins were easy to find at the beach. This was when a pack of baseball cards cost 5 cents. I also found a diamond ring and was able to return it to the lady who lost it by posting a notice at the beach.