Minelab American Gold Striker

Norvic

PhaseTech and other GS users, notice you listed a Gold Striker in detector used thread, I preferred the GS over the 17000 on shallow ground but a lot were disappointed with it. Just wondering if it had some special "tweaks" in its electronics? Something a bit diff. other then was a single frequency.

I had a Minelab American Gold Striker briefly after my XT 17000. I took it back to areas where I had hunted before with the XT 17000 with lackluster results. Not a bad unit it just did nothing to up the ante. As the name says, the "American" was aimed specifically at the U.S. market. It came out in 1994 and at a dedicated 32 kHz (and lower price than XT 17000) was an attempt to respond to the recently released 50 kHz White's Goldmaster models. The problem was that at 50 kHz the Goldmasters slayed the Gold Striker on the small stuff and at $695 the Minelab unit was priced $200 over the White's Goldmaster II. The main thing Minelab pushed was that the Gold Striker had automatic ground tracking which the White's units lacked. I sold truck loads of Goldmasters and after a short try did not even bother stocking the Gold Striker.

Gold Striker Owner's Manual

Click images below for larger versions...

minelab-american-gold-striker-detector-ad.jpgminelab-american-gold-striker-controls.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Norvic.   When I read your post this morning I had never heard of the Gold Striker so I googled it and the top two results were this.   Not detecting but it looks like a hell of a lot of fun.   (hope you don`t mind Steve)

• Like 2