Why - Ferrous Tone While In All Metal?

22 minutes ago, johnedoe said:

Steve...

Have you spent much time working with the V3i stereo mixed mode?

I pretty much use it all the time now that I have gotten used to it.

Not a lot no but I took to it immediately and the screen visuals are awesome! Going to have to get another V3i.........

whites-mixed-mode-color-screen-spectragrapg.jpg

whites-mixed-mode-color-screen-signal comparison.jpg

• Like 2

I am still getting it dialed in and getting used to all the info it provides but I do prefer it now to the other modes.

Using it with correlate is very powerful.

I was using stereo MM when I found this ugly 10k mens ring in a very trashy park....

fullsizeoutput_118.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 10:35 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

Not a lot no but I took to it immediately and the screen visuals are awesome!

The color scheme for Mixed Mode is mine, it's the Garnet & Gold of Florida State, my alma mater. It looked surprisingly good so I used it to demonstrate the custom color abilities of the V. BTW, Geotech shares a similar color theme. Go Noles!

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:41 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

The Minelab X-Terra 705 has a similar function in the all metal Prospect Mode which Minelab calls Iron Mask. However, instead of producing a tone the Iron Mask function causes the audio to break up or blank completely on ferrous targets. The Iron Mask setting is adjustable. Lower settings will call more ferrous items good but at less risk of accidentally calling a gold nugget ferrous. Increasing the setting rejects more ferrous items but increases the chance a non-ferrous item will be incorrectly rejected.

Steve, saying the above would it fulfill my request?

I've got an opportunity to trade my TDI for a XTerra 705 with 3 coils, but not sure if it is what I need.

Thoughts. please

The only thing close to what I think you are asking for is the Nokta Impact Gen(D) mode. MXT or MX Sport Prospect mode with Iron Grunt activated a close second. There is no second tone with the X-Terra Iron Mask. The target either breaks up or blanks completely. All different ways of doing about the same thing, so I guess it is the other features of the machines you also have to consider when making the choice. Keep in mind the X-Terra displays no target id while in Prospect/All Metal mode - the others do.

I looked real hard at X-Terra 705 and Gold Bug Pro, both in All Metal/Prospect Mode. They are basically the same for depth/sensitivity. The Gold Bug Pro is just pure audio signal, look at the meter for target id number to decide if you dig. The X-Terra Iron Mask is in some ways more efficient - no meter looking, just set it and hunt by ear. The level of iron rejection is adjustable. In the end I wanted a bit more target information than just ferrous/non-ferrous so I went with the Gold Bug Pro but I have to admit the need to check the meter is annoying so there is much to be said for the X-Terra methodology.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

I've got an opportunity to trade my TDI for a XTerra 705 with 3 coils, but not sure if it is what I need.

Mark, a while back you said you were using the TDI/SL in cinder-loaded ground and had to run the delay up to 16 us.  You'd trade that capability for a VLF?  (Or do you have more than one TDI?)

I have both TDI/SPP and XTerra 705 and both are good detectors but one is a dog and the other a cat!  They can't be compared, IMO.  On top of that, although I haven't used the prospecting side of the XTerra much at all, the reason is that it is very different than the discriminator side.  The Fisher Gold Bug Pro has two sides but they are a lot more alike -- sister and brother -- than the two sides of the XTerra.  At least that is my experience.

Can you at least try out the XTerra and see if it handles your ground before you give up something that apparently works in that environment?

After reading Steve's post I decided to keep the SL for a while.  It works great in the coal waste areas but my largest draw back is it loves nails.  Regardless of settings a nail will still break through with a low tone.  I've found many masked silver coins in these area during the past two years.  Now I must add I've tried the Fisher F75, White's DFX and V3i, Minelab Explorer, Etrac and the CTX 3030 in these areas and the CTX performed better than them all.   Needless to say, even the CTX is affected by this coal waste, but did pull more old relics and coins at depths just out of reach of the other machines.  Many side by side comparisons revealed the CTX would indicate a non-ferrous target was there while the others would give either a solid ferrous or no audio at all.  I was mainly wanting the 705 to hunt gold jewelry.  The SL works great for the gold but I can't distinguish between the rings and pull tabs.  And before you say, well some rings fall in the pull tab range, I'll say of all the rings I've recovered only one read in the upper pull tab range.  All others read from foil to nickel.  Since the vast majority of gold rings sold are for women and nearly 100% of the ones I've either found or tested fall in the upper iron to nickel range that is what I hunt for.

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to test the Gold Bug Pro with the 11" DD coil and it performed very well.  In fact I took it to an area littered with soda pull tabs and pulled a very nice ring out of the mess.  Ideally the gold bug with a 5 x 10 DD coil would do me well, or maybe a F19 with the stock coil for my ring hunting adventures.  Of course the Gold Bug failed also in the coal waste fields.