Weather Resistant System For Minelab GPX

1 hour ago, Rob Allison said:

Curious if a cover like this would hold some of the heat in.

The machines generate quite a bit of internal heat so it would not surprise me.

Rob, what do you mean rained all day? In Alaska it is only of note if you say "all week" or "all month". Nothing like days on end in rain gear and a mosquito head net - oh, I miss that so much!

Rob Allison, first visit to Moore Creek, Alaska, August 2005 - Found 14 nuggets totalling 3.76 ounces

rob-allison-moore-creek-alaska-first-week-2005.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Ok, it's true.  I can't think for Steve.  haha  I'm really surprised he has enough time to keep up with all his testing and all the forum entries also.

Is that Wilma?  Nice picture.

Bootyhunter, I'm Mitchel and what is yours?  

Perhaps you have made a product that will let us get our 'old' equipment out in the wet to look for some nuggets.  My present equipment of a 3030 and a 7000 is water resistant to a certain degree and if I got rained on I would worry more about me than the detector!

I still have a 5000 and I may have bought one of your systems to protect it from moisture if it was my primary detector.  

I beach detect and nugget shoot but do very little relic detecting.  I do understand that if you are relic detecting in England on a guided tour you MUST detect rain or shine.  Most of us nugget shooters stay at home until a better day if it is too wet or windy.

Mitchel

Mitchel, my name is Stephen. Nice to meet you and everyone on the forum.  I've never been to England, but some of the relic hunts I attend are on Civil war grounds on huge farms in Northern Virginia. Some of these hunts are pay to attend as the land is leased from farmers for a weekend or 3 days. So you kind of have to hunt no matter the weather because there are no refunds or rainouts!  

• Like 3

Stephen, Steven is my middle name.  I'm glad I didn't scare you off.

It would be nice of you to post some things about your relic hunts here and then Steve might move them to the proper forum after a bit.  I've posted some in the meteorite forum and if I ever make it back to the good finds at the beach I'll post back there again also.

Mitchel

Wow lots of Steves/Stephens!  No,no you didn't scare me away, I totally understand. One of my best relic hunts was last fall in Culpeper Virginia. This is where the Battle of Brandy station occurred during the Cival War. It was a 3 day weekend hunt. On Friday I got into a small fire pit and recovered my first Eagle Breast plate, on Saturday I got into another put and recovered the remains of a pocket watch. Then on the last day, Sunday morning I found what all relic hunters have on their bucket list, a US soldiers Identification Disc!  The soldier was from the Rhode Island 2nd infantry, was wounded at the Battle of Chancerlorsville, survived the war and lived until Christmas Day 1926 where he died in his native state of Rhode Island. The ID disc has a small machined hole in the top of it to wear on a pin or a chain, but it has a larger unnatural hole near the center. The soldier was injured by artillery and this damage possibly occurred then. The disc is a little convex as well. We had a huge group lunch on that last day where all the relics are displayed and everyone mingles and talks.  After lunch I went back the field where I found the ID disc and found my 2nd Eagle Breast plate!  That was a weekend to remember for sure!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks for the post, the story and the great pictures.

What detector were you using for this hunt?

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Thanks for the post, the story and the great pictures.

What detector were you using for this hunt?

Thank you. I was using my Minelab Gpx 4800. Pi's are about the only thing that will work in the red mineralized soil there and get any depth. 

• Like 2