Gifted A Detector

Since you have a GPZ I can see a couple possibilities. There are some hot rocks that give the GPZ trouble that the SD would ignore, so if you ran into a place with those kind of hot rocks the SD would be worth a go. The SD would handle salt/alkali conditions better. If you do not have the GPZ 19 Coil, that 18" round on the SD will punch deep on the big stuff.

That old green SD 2200D was the first Minelab PI model I got halfway serious about using. Alaska in 2000 pointing to where I dug a 8 dwt nugget found with the 2200...

steve-herschbach-minelab-sd2200d-alaska-2000.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks Steve, the batteries didn't charge very well overnight - i got them up to 3V but they rapidly dropped to 1.6V and the machine wouldn't turn on. I'll try again tonight and am discussing battery options with Nenad. I did find this pamphlet (pictured) inside the detector case - leads me to believe the detector may have been purchased in the 1980's and check out the gold price of the day (Aussie dollars!!!). I have some ground where normal ground type with the 7000 gets tiring as i cannot differentiate consistently hot rocks from gold sounds like some say is possible.  So plan is to get the 2200 up and running and break it out on a patch or as you say hot rock ground if i find deep gold there... 

In the meantime, put 2 x 15L buckets through the sluice today for approx .25gm, happy dayz

Stru

IMG_5113.jpg

IMG_5114.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

Production of the SD 2200D commenced in May 1998

http://www.minelab.com/customer-care/product-notices/discontinued-products/sd-2200d

Owners Manual Minelab SD 2200D

An updated version of the green SD 2200D was produced from 2002 - 2009, the blue SD2200v2 In all the SD 2200 had a ten year production run, and as a value option was missed by many when it was discontinued.

Not surprising the batteries are bad. The sealed lead acid batteries were not exactly long life units and if not well cared for went lame. Storing without a charge or overcharging both were bad for the batteries. Coiltek made a good aftermarket Li-Ion setup for them that were quite popular, the "Pocket Rocket", that used common Sony batteries with an adapter. I don't think they are sold new anymore but you might track one down. The lead acid batteries are easily replaced.

The detector looks brand new otherwise - very generous of your friend.

The genuine lead acid replacement is Minelab part # 3011-0212. It is also possible to carefully pry the dome top of your battery and glue it onto a new replacement aftermarket battery that usually cost much less. Minelab does not make the actual battery, just the dome top.

Tip - the Minelab AC charger supplied with the SD pumps current continuously and will overcharge the battery if left on too long. Bad design; it is way too easy to forget and leave a battery on charge too long, and no way to monitor charging progress. I always used the 12v charger myself, which is regulated and has a little led light to tell you when battery is fully charged. If need be buy a mains to 12V converter and then hook the 12V charger to that.

IMG_0372.JPG

• Like 1