White's To Produce 5.3 (6") Concentric Coil For MX Sport?

Speaking of the mx sport and coils, it looks like Whites is working on making a 5.3! There is a thread on another forum and tboykin is asking for testers. I would try an take him up on the offer only I don't know the first thing about being a tester and have my plate full with work for a couple weeks. I've tried the big coils before but usually find myself using the smaller ones 90% of myself. As soon as the 5.3 is ready for prime time I'll be picking one up!

• Like 1

I like the 5.3 (6" round) except for the fact it is twice as thick as it should be. White's is still using molds from the last century. That said the only coil I own for my DFX besides the Bigfoot is a 5.3 concentric. It would be a good dry land coil on the MX Sport but the 7" DeTech DD would be better for in water use unless White's puts a little epoxy in the new 5.3, and that probably is not a good idea.

I've had what you call a 5.3 coil on my Eagle 2 for over 25 years and loved it. That what I wanted in the first place but at the time it had to be the Detech 7 " or nothing. I do like the coil as said on other post. I'm not sure if I'll buy it now being the 7 is doing what I wanted in the beginning.

I don't see me putting out money to buy the 13 when the coils I got now from White's fill my needs.

Chuck

• Like 1

I've never liked the 5.3.  I don't the form or the way it swings.    I wish they'd make a 7" concentric instead.

HH
Mike

• Like 1

Yeah Mike, I wish White's would ditch all the old molds and start over. They need to look at the 7" concentric shipping with the new Tesoro Mojave to see how coils should be made. White's old thick foam filled coils hark back to the 1970's and are actually kind of embarrassing at this point. I think some of the performance edge some detectors enjoy these days has less to do with the detector and more to do with properly designed high performance coils that have been mated to them.

White's hooking up with DeTech was not a bad move in that regard, in an least jump starting a supply of modern coils for their machines.

The main reason people like the 5.3 is only because it is the only small concentric option available, which is why I have mine. But it sure is not because it is a great design compared to other small concentrics out there. Great point and well worth White's hearing it. Thanks Mike.

Seriously, I though about grabbing a Mojave just to get the coil, as the detector with coil costs less than many coils on the market these days!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:05 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I like the 5.3 (6" round) except for the fact it is twice as thick as it should be. White's is still using molds from the last century.

Steve, I agree that these series of smaller Concentric search coils could be made with a thinner, flat-bottom design with a different bottom half.  They could also make them in an open-frame design, and I know at one time when Carl M. was there, he had such a prototype configuration he showed me and I was getting my hopes up ... but up-line they said to put it on the back burner.  WAaaay back I guess.

There is, however, a benefit for some people by using the thicker-bodied, semi-dome shaped lower-portion 6½" Concentric coil, and that is on some models for many hunting applications, het helps maintain a proper, or better, coil-to-ground relationship which can help eliminate overload.

Most manufacturers today use a higher gain or Sensitivity level that some of their former models, and that can create an 'overload' or warping of the EMF due to intense ground mineralization.  It can also cut down on some 'overload' caused by being too close to metal objects.

Most detector  manuals will suggest working the search coil about 1" to 2" off the ground, and the thicker-bodied 6½" Concentric helps detecting folks do that.  Search coils shouldn't be scrubbed on the ground but instead worked a small distance off the ground, and the 6½" coil design helps keep the internal windings at a or functional distance.

Monte

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 10:06 AM, Ridge Runner said:

I've had what you call a 5.3 coil on my Eagle 2 for over 25 years and loved it. That what I wanted in the first place but at the time it had to be the Detech 7 " or nothing. I do like the coil as said on other post. I'm not sure if I'll buy it now being the 7 is doing what I wanted in the beginning.

I don't see me putting out money to buy the 13 when the coils I got now from White's fill my needs.

Chuck

Chuck,  I didn't care for the MX Sport's release for one reason and that was there was not a smaller-size search coil.  Then they introduced the 7" DD from Detech and I tried it on a couple of MX Sport units earlier this year, and it did some of what I wanted a smaller-size search coil to do.  I just wanted a land-based model.

Then a few weeks ago I drove across-state to buy my first MX-7, at which time I also bought the 7" Detech DD and some accessories, and also was provided a freshly assembled 6½ Inch Concentric coil.  It needed to be put together and sealed, and came w/o a decal, so I had my oldest son design a custom decal for me when he got the halves sealed together.  That decal is seen in the link as Steve H. provided above, and shown here.

Also, a reminder for those not familiar with how marketing folks get involved with naming products:  The former White's coils labeled 600 Blue Max, 5.3 Black Max, 5.3 BullsEye and 5.3 Eclipse are NOT a physical 5.3 anything!  Physically, to our eyes as we view them, these excellent search coils measure closer to 6½ Inches in diameter.  Also, the search coil decals used in the past didn't tell the consumer what the internal winding configuration was,  whether Concentric or Double-D.

As seen, the decal my son made for me for my MX-7 "tells it like it is" by describing the size/diameter, as 6½ Inch, as well as the internal layout of the coil's windings, as a Concentric coil type.

I believe you might re-think your feelings about owning and using this excellent size and type search coil, if you get an opportunity to check out the new 6½ Inch Concentric coil against your 7" Detech DD.  I don't mind owning both of these coils, plus the standard 950 Concentric, but the 6½ Inch Concentric equipped MX-7 will see more field-time, to be  sure, and I'l alternate between the 7" Double-D and 950 Concentric on my 2nd MX-7.  Mainly keeping the 7" DD mounted for the next 3-4 months just to do side-by-side comparisons between these two closely-sized search coils on naturally located targets afield.

Monte

20171206_154015.thumb.jpg.4e717eb62a338457494318038a3ecd7e.jpg20171206_101130.thumb.jpg.3886d23a48b7ac691854f29e28a7b692.jpg5a3debb4a6eb7_Coil1.thumb.jpg.0b4a804a16c8feeb85ae2c35f0117f35.jpg

• Like 4

Monte

I like the concentric over s DD coil but I’m not sure if I’ll get one. I got another detector on order and I know it will be money out for a coil there.

In my opinion you can’t go wrong on the MX Sport.

The main thing you enjoy it and find lots.

Chuck

On 4/27/2017 at 12:05 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

I like the 5.3 (6" round) except for the fact it is twice as thick as it should be.

On 4/27/2017 at 1:02 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

White's old thick foam filled coils hark back to the 1970's and are actually kind of embarrassing at this point.

This re-invigorated thread reminded my of one of my DiY mods from over a year ago which I was going to write up but never did.  Cutting to the chase (see photos below) is a modification I made to a White's TDI SuperPulse 150 (that's the nominal coil enclosure OD in mm, so about 6 inches) with two things in mind:  reduce the thickness and add enough weight to make it neutral buoyant or negative buoyant (that is, sinkable).  As you can see I definitely accomplished my first goal.  The second goal was met but I had to add a T-handle to supplement the S-handle on the rod so that torque and balance would work and get the coil to sink when mounted to the detector.  Anyway, pictures are worth a thousand words.  I replaced the truncated cone lower coil cap section with a coil cover (don't know what brand coil cover but it was oversized about about 3/4 inch in diameter).  It was still waterproof last time I checked.  The weights added to make it sink were limestone drink coasters.  The middle photo shows the top housing (lower housing ground wire disconnected) of the mono coil assembly.  Oh, and there was no foam inside the factory sealed SuperPulse 150.   What you see in the middle photo is exactly as found when I opened it up.  The coil assembly on the left in both top and bottom photos is a Miner John 5"x9" mono with its coil cover attached in the last photo but not the first.

100_0277.JPG

100_0279.JPG

100_0283.JPG

• Like 1