White's To Produce 5.3 (6") Concentric Coil For MX Sport?

3 hours ago, Mike Hillis said:

I'm really just frustrated with the tool, Steve.   A 5" coil is too small, even if its is mounted inside a 6.5" hat when you need it to be larger.  I don't need the hat to be larger.  I need the thing inside the hat to be larger, or at least fill the hat.   Whats more is that I'm stumping for Whites to give us a 7" concentric...

Mike, you and I are in total agreement on this issue so I totally sympathize. It like buying race cars only to be told all we can get are consumer grade tires. I want race tires to go on my race car!

The analogy is an apt one because detector companies prefer to be in the detector business and do look at coils as being something they are just as happy to have somebody else do. People do want coils but the number of coils that go unsold at manufacturers and dealers and then end up in the trash (or sit on the shelf forever) is actually amazing.

That’s no excuse not to get up to date with modern coil designs however. If people can make money doing nothing but make coils then obviously manufacturers can do the same. As you know though even the third party people seem to meet yearly to agree not to make certain coil shapes and sizes.

Mike H. and Steve H., I have also looked at search coil designs a lot through the years and have been irritated by marketing ideas that mess things up.  The Five-point-Three labeling is one of them.  Yes, someone thought it smart to reference the Transmit winding in the coil's name, but before they did that they had still been making the very same Concentric design in the very same size/shape coil housing and calling it the Blue Max 600. 

Nobody seemed to have a problem with that and bought that search coil seeing that it appeared to be about 6" in diameter and the '600' in the name kind of suggested that.  It was kind of a 'problem' for me because the coil physically measures about 6½", not 6".    But, as has been mentioned before, most manufacturers generally make a reference to a search coil's outside physical measured size ... or come close I guess.

Regardless of what they call the coil, what color the decal is, or the diameters of both internal Tx and Rx windings, one thing I do know for a fact is all of the search coils White's has put in that housing ...  be them for the 6.59 kHz Classic's or XLT or XL Pro, or the 'Eclipse' series for the MXT's, M6, MX-5 and other models,  or the newest that has the connector for the new MX-7 and MX Sport ... work excellent in a wide range of applications, and can provide impressive depth-of-detection for their size.

Wanting something just a little bigger and closer (internally) to a correct outside diameter such as a 7" Concentric coil?   Well, that might not be a bad idea, either.  I look over at my 'Detector Team' here in my den and I can spot two 7" Concentric coils that are mounted and ready for use.  One solid-design coil on my low-end Tesoro Mojave, and the other a 'modern' open-frame design on my high-end Nokta Impact.

Personally, I haven't a single problem with the internal coil winding size or the outside label they put on it, White's 6"/6½" Concentric coil has won my admiration for performance afield.   I saw in-house an open-frame design that they could have been followed through on that would have made a nice replacement, and if I recall it was about a 6" coil. 

Now, If, and I mean a big IF, White's set out to make a new coil, and chose a 7" diameter, I would really like it to be an open-frame design along the lines of the Nokta 7" Concentric.  But I kind of doubt, at this time in the life of White's,  that there is very much focus on developing a brand new search coil.   I guess I'll just stick to what I have on the end of my MX-7 and enjoy it since I know what to expect when I take it afield.

Monte

• Like 1

It just is what it is and many people have been very happy with the 5.3 or whatever you want to call it over the years. While we all have things we think can be done better the fact is often we have to make do with limited choices. In the case of a machine like the MX Sport and MX 7 which to date have no small concentric, at least White’s is doing something as opposed to nothing. Concentrics have fallen out of favor and are largely ignored these days, so any concentric at all is a good thing. Rather than get in White’s case over it I thank them for paying attention to a coil some companies would ignore entirely.

• Like 2

I asked Whites how big the coil is and where it was positioned within the shell and I was told that it is as big as the top and the deep part is to house all the electronics.

I think it could loose that wart on the bottom as to get the coil closer to the ground then it would be perfect. But saying that the 5.3 (6") is the hottest coil in the Whites range when it comes to tiny targets, and on coins etc it can match the 6x10 (5x9) Lol, for depth in most soils. I really like the 5.3. But that bump on the bottom does help it skim over the ground because it does not have the surface area to slide easily like a larger coil does.

EDIT:- another thought that comes to mind is that Whites might have to desensitise the 5.3 because they have hyped up the MX Sports gain system where in most cases people have to use less gain in a lot of places, So that coil might cause people to use even less gain due to how hot it is. 

2 hours ago, auminesweeper said:

I asked Whites how big the coil is and where it was positioned within the shell and I was told that it is as big as the top and the deep part is to house all the electronics.

I think it could loose that wart on the bottom as to get the coil closer to the ground then it would be perfect. But saying that the 5.3 (6") is the hottest coil in the Whites range when it comes to tiny targets, and on coins etc it can match the 6x10 (5x9) Lol, for depth in most soils. I really like the 5.3. But that bump on the bottom does help it skim over the ground because it does not have the surface area to slide easily like a larger coil does.

EDIT:- another thought that comes to mind is that Whites might have to desensitise the 5.3 because they have hyped up the MX Sports gain system where in most cases people have to use less gain in a lot of places, So that coil might cause people to use even less gain due to how hot it is. 

Expect to see flat bottomed coils in this housing this year... For current and future products.

• Like 3