Troy X5 Review By Steve Herschbach

Blast from the past! The original review still resides at https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-mining-journal/troy-shadow-x5-crow-creek-gold/

The Troy X5 is another result of Dave Johnson getting involved in the design of a detector. Super hot 19 kHz machine with surprisingly good performance on silver for the frequency. It was manufactured by Fisher to Troy's specifications which included top notch components and tight tolerances. Supposedly around 3000 made. Another nostalgia type machine, kind of a "Super Tesoro" in design concept. Very hot on gold but it had issues with handling hot rocks. A direct predecessor of the Gold Bug Pro. And frankly just another example of how "max depth" really has not improved in decades.

Troy Shadow X5 Field Test

Troy X5 Instruction Manual

troy-shadow-x5-color-brochure.jpgtroy-shadow-x5-specifications.jpg

• Like 3

I used to sell the Troy line of detectors.  Not many are seen for sale these days, as they are such good detectors, Tesoro will still cover their lifetime warranty, I believe. 

I have one X-2 left from that endeavor having with two coils, the smaller coil being super sensitive in coin competition hunts, as it is so fast and light to swing.  There is a coin check button, where if you hear two clear repeating signals, you depress that button.  If you hear another clear repeating signal, it is a coin.  That feature saves a lot of digging.  

The machine was designed for relic hunting, and is incredibly deep seeking.  One of my avid coin hunting customers reported me that he had found over 200,000 coins in one year with the detector I sold him.  He hunted mostly schools and parks every day until he passed away a few years back.  Maybe from exhaustion... 

I loaned my X2 detector to a possible buyer one spring weekend.  He drove up to a large ski area just above Boise, Idaho, after the snow had gone away.  He reported later to me he had found seven pounds of coins in those two days, and who knows what else, with my loaner detector.  He did then buy an X2 from me.

LARGO   

• Like 1

The X2 was made by Tesoro and the X3 and X5 were made by Fisher (see X5 brochure above). They all in theory carry a Limited Lifetime Warranty to the original owners through Tesoro and Fisher respectively, but realistically that may be getting difficult due to unavailability of older parts. Click on images for larger versions.

troy-shadow-x2-color-brochure.jpgtroy-shadow-x2-specifications.jpg

• Like 1

I know a guy down in Lake Charles Louisiana who has a Shadow X5 along with some 15 other detectors.  He states it is great for gold on the beach, most know him by "Tinfoil"

I had one of these Troy Shadow X5's  and it was HORRIBLE in Hot ground, beeped every other foot , so bad I took it back to my truck and got my 20 year old Tesoro Lobo ST out and that machine was as quiet as  a mouse on Iron Mountain in Missouri and got me the Civil War relics I was chasing. I sold the Troy shortly after. Now, there was an older  version with a 7 inch loop and that was a killer detector for coins. It is called Iron Mountain cause of the iron mine across the road and a Civil War vintage iron mine on top of the mountain, VERY nasty ground.