Minelab Suing XP Over Wireless Detectors & Pinpointers?

I believe Minelab is sueing XP metal detectors (over wireless detector and pinpointer applications).

True, that was covered at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/2596-minelab-files-suit-against-xp-metal-detectors/ It is over Minelabs patent which covers wired and wireless data transfer that they claim XP has violated. At last report is has been forwarded to court annexed mediation and arbitration.

Fisher is also suing Deteknix.

The wireless pinpointer connect was something that the White's TRX had designed into it, but it was never implemented. I even filed a patent application on the technique about 4 years ago. Because the V3 wireless module was going obsolete, everything was designed around a new module that was supposed to have debuted with the first new 'Sport design.

The pinpointer would tell the detector to disable its transmitter, and pinpointer audio would be sent to the headphones. Since the TRX is a full VLF design, it could even send VDI info to be displayed on the detector screen. User setting changes could be made from the detector or a cell phone app.

However, White's mgmt didn't think much of the idea from the beginning*, it was entirely driven by Engineering. After I left they let the patent app expire, and apparently even wireless audio got dropped from the MX Sport.

As far as I know, the socket for the wireless module is still being put in the TRX. It was intended that early pinpointers could easily be upgraded to wireless, I'm guessing something that will never happen.

- Carl

* The verbatim quote: "I don't like that idea at all." That was the day I first asked myself, "Why am I here?"

• Like 2

Interesting Carl, thanks for sharing. When I look at XP I see what White's could have been with more vision of where the future of metal detecting was headed. Let's face it, the DEUS has many concepts that come straight from the V3i, just in a far lighter and easier to comprehend package. It sounds like a wireless connect pinpointer is yet another example.

One of my biggest complaints about the MX Sport is the location of the physical headphone connection, a problem that would have been completely alleviated by the inclusion of a wireless headphone option. So many missed opportunities....

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

One of my biggest complaints about the MX Sport is the location of the physical headphone connection, a problem that would have been completely alleviated by the inclusion of a wireless headphone option. So many missed opportunities....

That was pointed out by customers over & over on the Prizms. Before I left, the MX Sport package had reached proto stage, and I tried to convince mgmt that the h/p jack was on the wrong side, and why. I think my effort actually persuaded them to leave it where it was. In a nutshell, that's why there were so many missed opportunities.

On 2/12/2017 at 0:53 PM, Geotech said:

The wireless pinpointer connect was something that the White's TRX had designed into it, but it was never implemented. I even filed a patent application on the technique about 4 years ago. Because the V3 wireless module was going obsolete, everything was designed around a new module that was supposed to have debuted with the first new 'Sport design.

The pinpointer would tell the detector to disable its transmitter, and pinpointer audio would be sent to the headphones. Since the TRX is a full VLF design, it could even send VDI info to be displayed on the detector screen. User setting changes could be made from the detector or a cell phone app.

However, White's mgmt didn't think much of the idea from the beginning*, it was entirely driven by Engineering. After I left they let the patent app expire, and apparently even wireless audio got dropped from the MX Sport.

As far as I know, the socket for the wireless module is still being put in the TRX. It was intended that early pinpointers could easily be upgraded to wireless, I'm guessing something that will never happen.

- Carl

* The verbatim quote: "I don't like that idea at all." That was the day I first asked myself, "Why am I here?"

I'm all for bashing White's, but I think this post is in bad taste. Comes across as very bitter, which I think Carl is above.

Hope to see some interesting stuff from Bounty Hunter/FTP in the next few years, and White's wishes Carl all the best.

Steve, with the new forum can we have a section devoted hating on White's? I think there is enough material on DP for a dedicated sub-forum...

: )

Hi Tom,

Well, a lot of us old timers have some bitterness over the past at White's. Being an optimist I would say lets all start fresh with a new day and move on. I would like to put a feather in your cap for being a big part of that. Your outreach and good humor under heavy assault does not go unnoticed! The main thing however is just being out on the forum and participating is a big step forward. Your work on revamping the website, White's forum, Facebook, the new Discover Magazine - all steps in the right direction. I know you are working hard to insure there is not another MX Sport stumble on release repeat.

White's can try all they want but they will not replace Minelab as the most hated name in detecting!

• Like 1

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Mr Boykin,

Glad to see you reading and participating in different forums.

I thought I read somewhere,,,on another forum,,,about the time the MX Sport was released you had only about a year's worth of detecting experience.  In saying this,,,you certainly have some big shoes to fill.  Loyalty,,,this is one of the toughest things,,,and it must be divided in a a healthy fashion,,,,for you and others whom you work with to be successful.  Divided loyalty between your employer and the detecting public.  A real tight rope to walk,,,it can be done.  And the feedback you garner from places like this will help you achieve.

33 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Being an optimist I would say lets all start fresh with a new day and move on.

Thanks for that. I appreciate constructive criticism and all companies stand to benefit from that kind of discussion, especially from customers (new and old).

Complaining about a previous employer online is what I was referring to. This board is such a resource and I don't think this is the right place for it. But that's just my opinion.

I will admit I can be quick to bristle since I genuinely believe in the company I work for. So I will get back to work!