Looking For Detector Working From 30/50 Metres Distance

The irony in your post Jason is what you are saying sounds just like what purveyors of LRL instruments say. "the idea of long distance detection is not beyond the realm of scientific reality". The only difference is they claim to have discovered solutions to the issues you discuss, but cannot reveal how exactly in order to protect their proprietary methodology. After all, Fisher is not about to release the source code for the F75, are they?

The key is pure common sense. This forum is a good example of a gathering place of successful prospectors from all over the world. As a whole the prospectors of the world try every single method available in a quest to succeed. One need merely examine the many forum posts over the years to find out who the successful prospectors are and what kind of devices they are using. It really is no more complicated than that.

What about space rocks? Some awfully big conductive chunks of outer space have been dug up from time to time and there must be more, how big a chunk would you need to find from a low flying air craft? Would it be economically worth the effort, guessing no?

An extremely large iron meteorite might be discovered with a low flying helicopter employing airborne magnetometers. I am guessing the meteorite would have the size of a small car or larger. Since the largest known intact meteorite is 2.7×2.7×0.9 metres (8.9×8.9×3.0 ft) the odds here are pretty low. Probably as good as my finding that one gallon sized gold nugget.

This would be similar to Marine Magnetometer Surveys and would have similar parameters. Magnetometers do not work on non-ferrous metals like gold.

The Hoba Meteorite

IMG_0388.JPG

• Like 3

I see many reasonable responses to this query. 

At any rate my response basically stands. Whether dousing is science or not is irrelevant. If the system works for the person using it-great!  My warning is that LRL devices don't do anything a pair of rods or a needle might do.

Read a little, practice a lot and good luck! But, don't waste hundreds or thousands on fake-science!

fred

• Like 2

One last point before I move on to other subjects. The use of advanced geophysical devices is not as simple as people like to imagine. Ground penetrating radar for example. People imagine a screen with a pretty picture of the target. Reality is a small color squiggle or squiggles in the middle of lots of other squiggles. These devices results are highly interpretive and require trained, skilled operators. Please examine this document carefully because the included illustrations are highly informative.

A REFERENCE FOR GEOPHYSICAL TECHNIQUES AND APPLICATIONS

IMG_0389.PNG

• Like 1

This post has reminded me of an episode of the Meteorite Men.  I didn't know them at the time but I have since met them and other meteorite hunters and they have tools most of us gold hunters don't have.

At the time of my first watching of this show I thought it was a bit 'too much' showmanship for me.  It turns out they are very diligent hunters and very interested in their chosen Profession.  I know some roll their eyes when their name is brought up but production is production in order to get maximum viewers.

This episode shows you at the 14:30 minute mark some of the detectors they have used including one that is 18ft square.  Another one was made by Orange County Choppers before that team blew up!

I think I will repost this in meteorite forum also.

Mitchel

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The irony in your post Jason is what you are saying sounds just like what purveyors of LRL instruments say. "the idea of long distance detection is not beyond the realm of scientific reality". The only difference is they claim to have discovered solutions to the issues you discuss, but cannot reveal how exactly in order to protect their proprietary methodology.

I'm not sure it's irony, it's just a fundamental misunderstanding and/or blatant misuse of actual science by certain individuals in the treasure hunting community who would seek to take advantage of other individuals by misrepresenting their products  for monetary gain. Which is a textbook scam.

That said, I hope people realize that just because snake oil salesmen sold bogus cures for what are today easily curable diseases, it never meant that smallpox or polio couldn't actually be cured or treated or vaccinated against with enough medical research eventually, or that it wasn't a worthwhile pursuit, or that we should settle for industrial age medicine and call it quits there.

Misappropriation of science doesn't mean that the underlying concept is faulty via guilt by association. Just to be clear on that... That's why there is more difference between what I said and what they say. What I said can be verified by anyone who's taken a basic E+M class or read a book on the subject, and do their own testing.

• Like 2

While we're on the subject of LRL's, here's a good page (by Carl Moreland):

http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/pages/common/index.pl?page=lrl&file=main.dat

and he puts his money where his mouth is:

http://www.geotech1.com/cgi-bin/pages/common/index.pl?page=lrl&file=reward.dat

When I first read this I thought "now this Carl is my kind of guy!"  He's the Amazing Randi of the metal detecting world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Million_Dollar_Paranormal_Challenge

• Like 2