Cooper's Treasure

2 hours ago, Jim Oberg said:

The 'secret sensor' strokes me as hoaky, and I've caught at least one faked 'quotation' allegedly from cooper in space.

I'm a retired 'rocket scientist' [www.jamesoberg.com] with an interest in 'space age folklore', and Cooper's late-in-life fables have been on my radar for decades. I've written two detailed critiques of this show on www.thespacereview.com, take a look.

The idea that the US needed to, or NASA was able to, place a secret nuke-detecting device on Mercury-9 is flatly preposterous. What puzzles me is why, then, that's the 'official explanation' of a map that does appear to have some interesting sites on it -- where did IT come from, if not 'from outer space'??

Jim,

Thanks for your article link.  Well done.

It is an answer to my question well beyond my expectations.

Mitchel

I'm watching, I like seeing people take chances, I like pondering the possibilities. I like seeing people succeed. I try not to get caught up in the sensationalization, be cause I figure that is created by the producers. "Gold Rush" is actually what got me into prospecting. Think what you want about the Hoffmans, but they took a shot and seem to be doing ok for themselves. Big risk knowing so little about mining and going for it. They all have messed up and overcome big mistakes, not an easy thing to do. I like seeing Parker kick their butt and Mature a little bit. I like seeing the big piles of gold lol. There are a few really good people on the show, as well as some characters.  Such is life.

Chris

I need some help figuring out how Cooper did the map. This is the best I can do reconstructing the scenario but I must have missed or misunderstood something important. As I see it, Cooper’s only opportunity for a near-overhead daytime view of the Turks & Caicos area was on the 4th orbit, when he was talking to the Cape Canaveral Capcom [Wally Schirra] between 04:40:04 [HH:MM:SS] as he passed over Houston, to 04:45:52, for 5m 48 s [traveling about 1740 miles] or slightly more…. The ‘as-the-crow-flies’ distance of Houston to ‘Turks & Caicos’ is 1530 miles, so by the time the comm link was lost he was hundreds of miles past the islands. As the voice transcripts show, he was busy talking about spacecraft systems and experiments [such as a flashing beacon sub-satellite just jettisoned for visual tracking tests] the entire pass. He turns the in-cabin television camera on. They discuss emergency landing opportunities, how much he had eaten, and medical samples. Towards the end of the pass Cooper describes the view of Florida, indicating his small window is pointed north rather than straight down as would be needed to be eyeballing the islands passing beneath him. The suggestion he ALSO has secretly turned the window down and is surreptitiously scribbling hidden notes about what he observes near the islands doesn't seem to fit in. A day later he follows the same track but is deep into preparations to fire retrorockets to return to Earth, so no sightseeing either. When did he spot the anomalies and log them?

ADD -- here's the mission report with time-tagged air-to-ground transcript.

https://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/mission_trans/MA09_TEC.PDF

I'm 'out' on this one.  It is not satisfying.