My Digging Pick

Hello everyone

I'm new here to The Forum and to metal detecting. 

Inspired by all the Rock pics I saw at the gold show in Phoenix I decided to create my own. Take a look and see what you think. It was made from a $10 Hammer I picked up at Harbor Freight.

M.

20170502_202353.jpg

• Like 5

Looks good, Mark.  Everyone seems to have different requirement for their pick.  I don't have much rock picking to do where I am at but more dirt removal requirements.  Therefore, I have recently upgraded to Calvin Bunk's Hermit Pick.   But if I were in a rocky area, I would go for a design similar to yours.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Andyy said:

Looks good, Mark.  Everyone seems to have different requirement for their pick.  I don't have much rock picking to do where I am at but more dirt removal requirements.  Therefore, I have recently upgraded to Calvin Bunk's Hermit Pick.   But if I were in a rocky area, I would go for a design similar to yours.

I thought Bunk stopped making those.  I bought a short handle one and left it on his claim (never to be found) and I left the second one in a parking lot of a meteorite hunt (I had just found a specimen with 1.5oz of gold) and I had to let the 'finder' keep it.  He's now a good meteorite hunting chum.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Shasta gold hunter said:

Hey Mark, nice pick! I often find that one of the more rewarding aspects of prospecting is the fabrication of items that you think will make life easier in your quest for yellow.  Is that hardened steel? If so what process did you use to weld it?

Yes its hardened and tempered. I learned how to do that from YouTube videos. It was then welded with a mig. 

Bunk still makes them.  I just upgraded a couple months ago since I donated my last pick to the Vulture mtns someplace.  (Blessing in disguise)

Mark - nice work following YouTube.  I laugh wondering how I learned new things without it :)  

• Like 1

Mark,

Is that a weld you did?

I'm hooked on the series Forged in Fire now.  It is interesting to see 'something' made from 'nothing.'

Good work.

Mitchel

• Like 2

Hey Mitchel,

I have played with the mig several times the owner of the mig took initiative on this one.  The next one I will my welds and more straight! 

Fred,

I have Leland's long handle pick now and it is perfect for the 7000.  I carry it over my shoulder and that puts the metal a long way from the coil.  It also lets me dig deep holes without getting on my knees.  I have a collection of about 8-9 other picks I don't use much any more and normally have about 5 with me from big to small.

Mitchel

• Like 1