New Garrett AT Max

Well, pretty much what I expected. An updated AT Pro with built in wireless headphone capability, and Ace 400 style display (larger target id number) with meter backlight. They did add the true all metal mode that the AT Pro lacked, but at the same time dropped the frequency from 15 kHz to 13.6 kHz. This along with increased transmit power makes for a better coin and relic detector, and therefore it would not surprise me if a higher frequency version as an alternative to the AT Gold is still waiting to be revealed. Or it may be that Garrett will just let the AT Gold ride as is. Unlike everyone else Garrett does not seem very focused on the gold prospecting market.

Garrett AT Max Features:

• Built-in Z-Lynk™ Wireless Technology Cut the cord! Integrated circuitry transmits audio to your wireless headphones. Six times faster than Bluetooth speed! Auto pairing. No cables, and no interference from other wireless devices.
  • New Garrett MS-3™ Z-Lynk Wireless Headphones included The speed of Z-Lynk Wireless Technology, and high-fidelity audio . . . with no cords attached!
  • Maximum Detection Depth Increased transmit power and enhanced electronics provides AT Max with significant depth increase.
  • True All Metal Mode Detects all types of metal and provides the greatest possible detection depth and sensitivity.
  • Backlight: Illuminates LCD screen for improved visibility in low-light situations.
  • Optimized 13.6 kHz Frequency. The AT Max’s 13.6 kHz operating frequency provides excellent detection on a wide range of targets—including silver coins, gold jewelry, and brass relics.
  • High Resolution Ground Balance Automatic and manually adjustable for improved performance. Includes 175 points of Ground Balance resolution, allowing the AT Max to handle both conductive soils (such as saltwater beaches) and highly mineralized ground.
  • Automatic Ground Balance Window™ Garrett Exclusive feature will simultaneously ground balance to a range of values to help overcome localized ground variations. By reducing subtle ground responses, the Automatic Ground Balance Window smooths detector audio and allows the user to hear faint targets.
  • Larger Display Numbers: Digital Target ID number, Iron Discrim number, etc.
  • More Controls—All easily accessible with a single finger as you search.
  • Iron Audio™ Hear discriminated iron (normally silenced) to avoid digging tricky, undesired flat iron items.
  • All Metal Iron Audio™ Garrett Exclusive feature that audibly identifies discriminated iron while operating in a True All-Metal Mode.
  • Adjustable Frequency Small frequency shifts to eliminate interference.
  • All Terrain Versatility Fully submersible to 10-foot (3 meter) depth. Weatherproof design also protects against dusty and humid environments. For underwater use, optional wired headphones must be used.
  • Digital Target ID—0 to 99 scale.
  • High-Res Iron Discrimination™ 44 points of iron resolution.
  • Adjustable Threshold User can manually adjust the audio threshold (the constant background sound or “hum”) to better hear faint targets.
  • Pulse Width Modulation Audio Proportional PWM audio response and Tone Roll Audio provide more target information and sharp, responsive target signals.
  • Four Search Modes: True All-Metal, Custom, Coins, and Zero Discrim Modes.
  • Fast Recovery Speed • Notch Discrimination
  • Coin Depth Indicator • Battery Condition Indicator
  • Standard Searchcoil 8.5” x 11” DD PROformance™
  • All Garrett AT searchcoils are compatible: 4.5” SuperSniper, 5” x 8” DD coil, 6.5” x 9” concentric coil, 8.5” x 11” DD coil, and 9” x 12” concentric coil.
  • Length (Adjustable) 43" to 56" (1.09m - 1.4m)
  • Four AA Batteries
  • Total Weight 3.03 lbs (1.4 kgs)
  • Warranty 2 Year, Limited Parts/Labor
  • MSRP $849.95 (U.S.)

Color pdf Brochure

garrett-at-max-metal-detector.jpg

garrett-at-max-display-and-controls.jpg

Edit: The above control panel mockup shows the original layout with frequency adjust sharing the sensitivity control button. Garrett added a volume adjust at the last moment and so the image below shows the final layout of the controls....

garrett-at-max-lcd-display-and-controls-disc-mode-new.jpg

• Like 3

If you are true ATP fanboy... maybe. I don't buy it. I love my wrists. Sorry. Not again.

• Like 1

Do we know the price ?

I think most here would have liked a better version of the PI ATX. I seen the AT PRO and AT GOLD at the treasure show  for the first time. The main thing I didn't like was the the case they were in and because of that I walked away.

Oh well they didn't ask me.

Chuck. 

I was read somewhere about 850 USD.

Thanks Shelton

I really don't know why I ask. I spend money on what I like not what I don't.

Chuck

• Like 1

The illustration in my post above shows MSRP $849.95 If they do a standard 15% discount for MAP pricing it will be $725 or they can just shoot for a MAP price point of $749.

Edit: At least one dealer is taking pre-orders at $722.46 with rumored availability in June.

garrett-at-max-new-handle-grip.jpg

included-with-garrett-at-max.jpg

I suppose lots of people who had their hopes up are disappointed. Especially those wishing for multifrequency. I have to admit I was hoping for a slimmer control box. The fact is however I think Garrett will sell a ton of these. I always liked the AT Pro because it allowed me to set up a custom notch setup for jewelry detecting. What I did not like was the lack of true all metal mode. The AT Gold gave me the true all metal mode, but removed the ability to create and same a custom notch program! The AT Max offers the best of both worlds finally.

The drop to 13.6 kHz is odd considering they are still going to use the same 15 kHz coils that have been available for the AT Pro and which are already being stretched to 18 kHz to work on the AT Gold. Presumably that is not enough frequency shift to really matter still and it should make the detector behave better around salt water. 13.6 khz is still not a bad gold frequency (White's MXT is 14 kHz and Fisher F75 13 khz) but not all that hot either. This is more a coin, jewelry, and relic machine. The bottom line is this is a solid upgrade of the AT Pro and a really good all purpose detector. It hits back hard at the White's MX Sport with an offering weighing a pound less while including wireless headphones for the same price.

Nothing for prospectors to get all excited over however, so I will move this to the Coin & Relic forum later.

garrett-at-max-lcd-display-and-controls.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully they change the coil connection....what a pain. But I love the at pro for relic hunting....it's super in iron. My son took over mine, and he kills it in thick iron.