Steve Herschbach

Determining Where To Prospect For Gold Nuggets?

hawkeye    104

Ask that question on any other forum and the only answer you will get is "do your research".  Steve, that is a great post, simply outstanding.

• Like 4

Steve Herschbach    7,843

Thanks hawkeye. My goal these days is to try and craft extremely detailed answers at one location. All future questions on the same subject then get aimed there. It means more work upfront, but saves tons of time later. And the one answer can be tweaked, tuned, and updated. Having it be part of a thread where others can contribute their own details makes it even sweeter. From now on people who email me or PM me questions can expect to get this sort of online genericized response. I spend way too much time answering the same email question over and over so this solves that issue for me. "teach a man to fish...."

I enjoy stuff like this - it makes me think it through and I inevitably find new resources for myself in the process.

My post is aimed at the U.S. To get started in Australia

Historical Gold Mines in Google Earth

Australian Mines Atlas

Western Australia Mines and Mineral Deposits

• Like 2

fredmason    1,027

Steve, you must type as fast as my wife-she was a legal secretary, with fingers fast as lightning!

Pieter "Heydelaar" wrote a book for Fisher about the original gold bug. Successful Nugget hunting vol one.  He included many placer areas with directions...that was where I got my start...similar books by Jim Straight and Chris Ralph have references too.

I found being on the ground to see old drywash piles and other gold areas gave me clear ideas of desert placers...mountain areas with trees and things are a lot different.

fred

• Like 2

kiwijw    1,515

Yes....Defiantly look where gold has been found before. It cant get any easier than that.  Might sound crazy as you may think it too obvious, there will be no gold left as the old timers would have got it all & cleaned the places out. NOT SO as no one gets all the gold. Even today with detectors. . The old timers methods were often not that thorough & often lost a lot of gold out their sluice box's with poor gold catchment or too aggressive water flow. What they did do was wash off most of the overburden down to & exposing the bed rock. Perfect for detecting as the old timers couldnt see the gold caught up down in the bed rock cracks & crevices that they were missing. What the eye didnt see the heart didnt grieve over.

If the land hasnt been too modified from the old timers workings then you can use google earth to do a "fly" over & check places of mining activity. We have here in New Zealand an online site called "Papers past & present". A fantastic tool for researching old gold rush day info. It is the factual reports from back in the days of the gold discoveries & often the reporter went to "site" to report the going ons & results.

Out side of "knowing" where to go now.....you need to learn your detector. That is almost the biggest challenge for a new to detecting person.

What Steve has posted above is absolutely awesome & you should now be in no doubt of where to "look"

Good luck out there

JW :smile: 

• Like 1

strick    799

I wish  could read as fast a Steve types...I am now convinced there are two Steve Herschbach's...one that types the computer and one that hunts for gold! 

strick

• Like 1

johnedoe    286

Once gain Steve you have gone above and beyond expectations.....

This is without a doubt the best forum on the net.... Kudos'.

• Like 1

Steve Herschbach    7,843

Two fingers, maybe 14 words per minute tops. My speed and accuracy has really gotten screwed up typing with one finger on my phone or iPad combined with spell check doing a number on me at times. As slow as I am I have to slow down more. I tend to bang stuff out, post, and go back and edit later. Sloppy!

Thanks for the kudos, the warm fuzzies make the effort worthwhile!

• Like 3

Mark Mark    10

Hey Steve,

Thanks for all the hard work and effort you put into this post as well as this great forum! I feel I am one step closer to that first nugget. 

Norvic    1,194

Fringe areas, that is areas just outside known producing areas, same geology, little rubbish but that is where it has been at for me for last 20 years. Takes some persistence, faith and patience to go weeks without a piece but when you hit it     ..............Wow..............

• Like 5

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By WesD
      Guys, what is the validity of claims not filed annually at the county level? I have seen a few claims that are current at BLM, but the owners do not file  notices of intent to hold, or affidavits of assessment work at their local county recorders.  My understanding was the county level recording is just as important as the BLM filing, yet some people seem to only file their annual renewals with BLM. What gives?
    • By fredmason
      While up in the Sierra for a WSPA Outing I used my gpz. I had not used it since I did the upgrade. 
      When I pushed the map button the man-icon came up but there were no tracks. The unit would mark a point and display it but no tracks to see where I had wandered.
      I also noticed the unit would not return to correct threshold in a timely manner. Nor did the other functions always work correctly...
      two different issues I think. What say yea?
      fred
    • By tboykin
      Last weekend I got to tag along with Josh and Tom Bohmker, and a few other knowledgable miners. The destination was the Briggs Pocket in Southern Oregon. This was not an easy hike for some of the crew, but we all made it out and back. We did have one guy fall down a steep slope, but Josh was able to catch him before he tumbled down to the bottom.
      The video tells some of the history of this famous pocket mine as well as how Josh and his family have used modern P.I. detectors to recover the gold left on the hillside by previous generations of miners. Of all types of metal detecting for gold, I would count pocket hunting as the most difficult - due to the terrain, research, and extensive geology knowledge required. It's something not many people have the patience for (me included), so I have to say I admire the gumption of the Bohmker family - they discovered the Briggs Pocket just two weeks before another party and have pulled a lot of gold out of their claim.
      The gold from the Briggs Pocket tends to be spongey and interwound with the host rock (quartz). I will post some journal excerpts at the bottom of this post in case you'd like to read some historical accounts as well. But here's the video:
      Every time I see Josh and Tom I learn so much about the geology of gold. Anyone who has an interest in pocket hunting might want to look them up. They do go on regular expeditions with folks, which I believe they run through their website.
      I thought you guys might like a virtual tour of the Briggs Pocket - since this forum is where I got started on my journey of searching for gold.

HISTORICAL ACCOUNTS
      Briggs History:  (As recorded by the Mining Review, Salt Lake City, Utah bi monthly publication)
        June 30, 1904   Discovery of a mammoth pocket near the head waters of sucker creek, forty miles south of Grants Pass. The discovery was made by the two sons of David Briggs, while out hunting, and was purely accidental as they stumbled across it while trailing a deer. They have already brought in $6,000 from the pocket, and believe they will bring as much more before the glory hill is emptied. Much of the gold was in great slabs as big as a man's hand, and all of it came from a shallow cut, but three feet wide, three feet deep, and but six feet in length.    July 15th, 1904   The Rush is still on to the new Eldorado up in the siskiyous, beyond Holland, and on the Oregon California line. I took the fever and joined the caravan, mainly for the purpose of satisfying a curiosity, but not an idle one, for it is to severe a strain on a scribblers physical make up to climb twenty miles almost straight up just to see what is going on over the divide. ......................... We found about 100 men scattered about the head of Thompson and Indian creeks, a number of whom had taken up claims. A townsite has been surveyed, and the town will be know as "Goldenview City"  The strike made by Briggs has already taken out $25,000 in gold. Contented in the truth that want will never more drive them out of unbefitting toil, they are satisfied with the life of the mountains. Here is the freedom no other land can give, the genuine freedom of the western outer world. It was these mountains that gave up bountifully from their long hidden treasures. And they who were so fortunately endowed with not forget the giver. _ Dennis H Stovall     Records indicate that this was worked for two seasons, and there was a group that braved the winter and worked through. In the end, the strike led to a rush up there of over 2000 men, almost everything was claimed up, and many smaller strikes were made within the vicinity. I don't think the town of Goldenview ever came to pass. They (Briggs) sold the claim and staked a new claim not far away. A company from Chicago invested substantial money into developing the mine, but turned up nothing, or at least not enough to be profitable. By June of 2005, there was no more reports on the Briggs strike. 
    • By Clay Diggins
      It's that time again. The August 31 deadline to make your required annual mining claims filings is only a month away.
      As she does every year Ruby has compiled general guidelines and a graphic flow chart to help claim owners understand their annual obligations.  If you are confused about the process or just want a refresher review these could help make the process clearer.
      These are a free PDF download. Feel free to share, distribute or print these out as long as you retain the attribution.
      General Guidelines
      Flow Chart
      Whatever you do don't be late. You will lose your claim if your filings aren't on time.

• By Jin
      A video I made that might help someone who uses a Google Earth and wants to transfer that data onto a GPS. I use this all the time to quickly drive/walk into areas that I've researched online. My other video that I did shows you how I overlay old maps onto Google Earth. Hope it helps at least someone.

• By phoenix
      For a few years now I have been fascinated with a map that was published in 1915, but this map is very hard to work with, because most of the roads that are on it no longer exist and there is no sign of them what so ever and most of the tracks that are currently there are not on the map.    It took me a bit of mucking around to get 2 maps the same size and location, but I found a free site where you can overlay one image onto another.  This is part of the original map that shows roads that are no longer there and the bottom map I have overlayed the original to put in the tracks that are currently there from a topographic map.   This map now becomes way more user friendly for me because of the overlayed tracks. 
      Somebody else may find this site useful.  Dave
      https://www.imgonline.com.ua/eng/impose-picture-on-another-picture.php

imghost