My First Impression Of The Minelab Gold Monster 1000

6 hours ago, dgatleyDP said:

Alaska vs the 7000 (particularly the Nome inland area) - where "variable ground" conditions rule....  Do you think the the GM1000 might work as effectively, or possibly better than the GPZ7000?   You have far more knowledge of the ground conditions in AK than I, so i lean on that experience in this question. Thanks Steve, for the excellent job you do with this site!

I have said in the past that the GPZ 7000 is like a "Super VLF" in the way it operates and reacts, but with the PI dual tone twist.

If I gave you the impression however that a Gold Monster 1000 handles variable ground better than a GPZ 7000 that is dead wrong. I am talking about in comparison to other "high frequency" induction balance detectors running at 30 kHz and higher.

The only situation where a GM1000 beats a GPZ 7000 is in A. hitting tiny sub-grain bits of gold and B. employing ferrous discrimination if needed. But for sheer depth in bad ground the GPZ 7000 is just going to blow the GM1000 away.

I will still be using a GPZ 7000 for nearly all my detecting. The GM1000 will be for more for quick recon work in rough terrain, particularly where tiny bits of ferrous trash lurk, like logging country. Or for picking over a lode mine dump looking for small gold in quartz specimens. That sort of stuff. The same reason why many people are now using a GPZ 7000 but also have some other VLF detector along.

Alaska is a different case with miles of tailing piles, relatively low mineralization, large nuggets, and lots of deep ferrous junk. Those conditions still tend to favor a good mid-frequency detector with a largish coil. Almost anything running at 13 - 20 khz and with an Ultimate 13 type coil makes a good Alaska tailing pile machine. The GM1000 would be better in Alaska for shallow bedrock until a larger coil is available to tackle deep tailing piles.

• Like 5

My treasurer bought it, ordered it last night, Steves titbit for 4m members done it.

Northeast don`t dilly dally, you know when we grow up we just wanna be kids.............

• Like 2

Nice work Norvic.  I'm heading to Bendigo for 3 days this weekend - if I come home with some decent yellow I'll have some more leverage with the old girl  :smile:

I did see on the other forum I frequent that a person who placed a GM order has received an email to advise that the GM isn't actually available yet and might not be until the end of May/start of June - anyone else been advised of this? 

I saw that post also, not sure if it is just that dealer, or just Oz, or everywhere. Three more weeks....

Anyway, the Gold Monster 1000 comes with a three piece rod that screws together to form a single 53" long rod.

minelab-gold-monster-1000-three-piece-rod-assembly.jpg

Well made, but I like a telescoping rod myself. I dug out an old Minelab GP upper shaft and lower rod, works great! Same as used on GPX at this time:

Minelab Straight Upper Shaft for Gold Detectors 3011-0182 US$45.00

Minelab Lower Pole for various Minelab Metal Detectors 3011-0172 US$42.00

Note that you can't just take the GM1000 lower rod and plug it into some other upper shaft assembly due to the flange on top. Otherwise it might fit.

Total weight on my postal scales with AA batteries installed 3 lbs 6.7 oz (3.42 lbs) or 1550 grams. I like it - it will stay on this rod.

I did briefly look at a straight two piece upper shaft with the knurled tightening knob in the middle, but to get proper spacing the GM1000 control box wanted to be clamped down right over the knob and so that will not work - or at least that particular one was not spaced right. If two piece upper shaft you need the upper most section to have at least 20" free and clear to mount the control box and armrest.

minelab-gold-monster-1000-on-sd-gp-gpx-rod-assembly.jpg

minelab-gold-monster-1000-on-sd-gp-gpx-telescoping-rod-assembly.jpg

• Like 4

Questions Steve being that the GM rods screw together was there any issues with them coming loose like if you bumped a rock or something ?-Also how did it do as far as tipping over when sitting it down? it looks like it might be top heavy-Thanks in advance-Mike C...:ph34r: 

Mike, if you look at that join in my picture above, there is a o-ring visible. Not so visible is a large flat rubber washer just to the left of it in the photo, that forms a gasket between sections. Here it is better lit - click for larger version...

IMG_0396.PNG

If you half heartedly screw the section together and then bang the coil around a lot it could loosen and twist. You need to screw the sections together enough for that gasket to squash slightly, making for a very tight joint. It really is near impossible to do this properly with just the bare shaft in hand. I mounted the control box and coil, then used them to get enough leverage to get it tight. Of course when I took it apart removing control box and coil first, I could not get the rod sections apart with just bare hands. You either do things in the right order, have stronger hands than I (probably would not take much!) or use some sort of soft clamping tools.

I think it is best set up as a stay in one piece unit with rod sections firmly screwed together, or go to a standard telescoping rod setup like I have done.

The unit is as tippy as dozens of other VLF detectors - Fishers, Garretts, other Minelab's, etc. No better or worse. That was always a big plus for the Whites horizontal metal box design. My DFX stays upright, everything else falls over. In the photo below the Impact is slightly more stable than the other three, which are a toss up for tipping.

Trivia question. Which unit below can be operated without worry in the rain without a rain cover?

minelab-gold-monster-1000-vs-fisher-gold-bug-2-versus-makro-gold-racer-vs-nokta-impact.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Trivia question. Which unit below can be operated without worry in the rain without a rain cover?

Is it the GM 1000? 

MP900425487.jpg

• Like 1

I looked over on Rob's and Chris forum to see if anything is being said about the Gold Monster 1000.

Well i'll tell you this I've seen more activity in a funeral home than I seen on the above forums.

I got my Gold Monster 1000 on order from Rob but no word today.

Steve posted his review of the GM 1000 on each but not one reply so far.

Just odd

Chuck