Problem With White’s Goldmaster Detector

Just got this question via email:

"I picked up a GM 2 with long scan coil at a pawn shop. Replaced the batteries and turned it on.  It's quiet for about 5 seconds, then screams! Doesn't matter what knob I turn, the volume is overwhelming. What am I doing wrong?"

Well, I have to assume it worked when you got it and this happened later. Surely you do not have the coil sitting on a table near metal or something but have to ask. All I can suggest is disconnect the coil and reconnect again firmly. Triple check the batteries, maybe even swap them for yet another fresh set. Many detectors sent in for service have one bad battery out of the set, or a battery in backwards.

After batteries coils are like ten times more likely to fail then control boxes. So make sure of that coil connection, check the pins, wiggle the coil cable.

When all else fails, I give the detector some good shakes and knock the control box around a bit. Nothing to lose at this point and maybe a loose item or connection will be revealed.

My best guess is coil failure. If I was around my old shop I would swap out the coil to check it but you probably don't have that option. Depending on what you paid for it may be time for a trip to White's.

Any other ideas from forum members always welcome!

I agree with you Steve, it sounds like a faulty search coil. I've had search coils that would do the same thing where the gain turned up with the search coil in the air would have the same results. Switch out search coil with a new or existing good search coil and the problem goes away.

That metal connector on the coil to the control box sometimes shorts to the wires...try unscrewing the wire-protector and/or pull the actual connector out of the housing. Get a magnifier (for old folks) and look for any shorting and broken wires...

I am editing this to clarify-it is the coiled-spring on the cable connector that I had problems with . Additionally there may be frayed or broke wires elsewhere...

fred 

• Like 2

I purchased a used GM2 from the US several years back in need of some reconditioning, was quite surprised to see how many solder joints had cracked, and also a few of the wires had parted way from the coil connectors at the rear, probably from flexing over the years.  As mentioned, it might pay to remove the cover and go over every wire to ensure both the soldered connections are still ok, and all cables are actually still connected.  Only took an evening to do the soldering, plus a decent cleanup to restore it to it's former glory. 

1383904189_img_20131108_201805.jpg

1384013359_img_20131110_020944.jpg

• Like 3

I LOVED my GMII, it was my first manual GB machine and it tortured me to death in WA, but I still loved it. I learned so much from it especially about ground balance. I only ever found one spot where I could run the Sensitivity flat out, got 90 nuggets for half an ounce off that spot in 4 days. 

JP

• Like 3