Audio Or Visual Target ID

Audio or Visual Target ID  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which method of target identification is most important to you?

• Audio
    • Visual
    • Both Equally Important

Definitely beep over peep, sort of feel blinded using a detector with nil or very little tonal information, and having to resort to using less accurate visual indicators.  If I had to rely on ID's alone, I reckon half the good gear I've detected over the years would still be sitting in the ground.  

• Like 1

Given the option I will always choose a machine with both, but at the end of the day I hunt by ear. Audio rules, visuals just add more information. I can easily hunt with a detector that has no visuals. I can't imagine hunting with a machine that has no audio!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Given the option I will always choose a machine with both, but at the end of the day I hunt by ear. Audio rules, visuals just add more information. I can easily hunt with a detector that has no visuals. I can't imagine hunting with a machine that has no audio!

Same here. But I have heard from hearing impaired customers that really have it rough. A vibration function is very useful for them, and I wonder if it might be for me too.

• Like 1

My hearing sucks so I sympathize with hearing challenged and deaf individuals. It is on my to-do list to go detecting with the Nokta Impact using nothing but the vibrate function and screen. I will post the report when I get around to it. If forced to rely on visuals I much prefer the White's SignaGraph/SpectrGraph and Minelab CTX style systems for the extra info they offer over just straight up target id numbers. My DFX "iron smear" and CTX 'target trace" are pretty amazing compared to just a VDI number.

I like having both available but good audio discrimination (tone id) means I don't have to look unless I want to ....but, having said that,  hunting low conductive targets located in low conductive trash basically requires good visual discrimination of some sort as audio alone doesn't work in that scenario.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter

I like both.

If hunting a site with mixed history both modern and older,,,visual ID helps.

If in an old site with hardly any modern trash,,audio is king.

The thing that needs to happnen is a detector needs to provided good corresponding audio on (solo sitting) deeper targets like they do on shallower.

Much  like Minelab Etrac does for example.

Now if I'm hunting a site with both more modern and and old,,,and the site has been good to me,,,audio will have more precedence over ID.

I am willing to take more chances in sites like this.

Yup.... I'm a belt and suspenders kinda guy .... tones and visuals.

• Like 2

I bet if you polled the guys that are consistent in finding nuggets, coins, relics or jewelry on a regular basis that audio id would be first and visual id, if available would be a secondary confirmation. In my opinion when nugget hunting learning the nuances of the audio responses of your detector is key to a person being successful. 

• Like 1

Both but audio as the primary.

Instead of vibrate why not a few colored led lights to convey more information.

I hate vibration on my phone. Sometimes calls are missed when set to vibration. I don't see it having any advantage over a lighting system except for stealth.

Would every signal vibrate the same? If yes, then what's the point?

IMO vibration is better suited for the blind, not deaf.

Having several deaf family members whom use TTY machines for phone calls, their phone is integrated into the houselights so they flash when the phone rings. They don't have vibrating anything except when stomping the floors to gain your attention. Flashing visual indicators for the deaf, vibrating indicators for the blind deaf.

• Like 2