Audio Or Visual Target ID

Audio or Visual Target ID  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which method of target identification is most important to you?

• Audio
    • Visual
    • Both Equally Important

20 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hmmm... if my Deus has a red/green LED someplace I am not seeing it.

The flashing one on the coil,... can't remember what colour. Just the thought that comes  to mind: "Why does it need to flash ocassionaly when nothing is happening?"

The one that is always flashing white, indicating the coil is charged up. It is weird, always flashing, even when the detector is sitting in a closet for six months. The ability to activate it to be a colored disc LED as you have described would certainly be more useful.

From XP website "The LED on the coil gives 20 long, successive flashes to indicate that it is waking up and recalibrating. Once recalibration is complete, the coil becomes operational and its LED flashes every second. When the coil is on standby, its LED flashes every 4 seconds, whereas when it is on it flashes every second."

Yep that's the one :-)

So if it flashes every second whilst on,... the flash,... flow of current isn't detrimental to the detectors functioning. Because you can easily wiggle over a target giving audio for more than a second.

Let's turn this gimmick into something we can use.

18 hours ago, scoopjohnb said:

The LED needs to be where you need it.

Integrated in the coil just above the sweet spot.

Disc controls the colour. Red disced out, Green is an accepted target.

With screens you are always changing your focus, Coil, Screen, checking if the numbers are solid, looking how the target traces, rescan, etc.

Simplicity, if it's above disc I'm interested and digging. Even if it's just trash removal, cause next time, less trash equals more goodies.

The least talked about bit of gear in detecting is our most important asset. A Great Digger!!

That's about what I had in mind. 3 lights red, yellow, green. Red rejected, yellow bouncy or on edge of disc, green accepted.

Putting the light on the coil is a brilliant idea.

XP could have done this easier than most with the Deus.

The last issue with vibrate is that it consumes too much power in comparison to LED lighting.

Imagine also hunting trashy areas, vibration takes more time to indicate information than light does. How crazy would a trashy park drive someone in vibrate? You'd end up watching the screen anyway, so why vibrate? I'd get annoyed, lol.

IMO spend the resources elsewhere on truly useful features.

• Like 1

Well Deft, we will have to agree to disagree on the potential efficiency of haptic systems as potential metal detector interfaces. I am one of those that does not want to be eyes glued to screen at all times. You worry about dense trash, something I think could be dealt with. I am more worried about sparse targets, where a lot of time passes between signals. I can't imagine gold prospecting eyes glued to screen or even LED for a solid hour waiting to see something. Haptic makes far more sense.

I only use my pinpointer in vibrate mode and somehow that 9V battery gets plenty of hours so I don't think battery life is a valid concern, even with continuous use in dense targets.

It would be relatively easy to fashion discrimination systems around a haptic system. Apple Watch interface? Anyone up for a patent?

Regardless of the systems employed I applaud any company that puts resources into interfaces that help the handicapped.

• Like 2

When I play XboxOne with my kids, or I sometimes play Call of Duty I actually turn the haptic feedback off for better control, better precision, and it makes a big difference in gameplay. All professional gamers (yes they exist) do the exact same thing.

This is my experience and preference only. Trying to imagine translating that to useful detecting performance... I struggle accepting it could help me.

But for others - whatever they like is good for them.

We do agree that helping the handicapped is always a good cause. :smile:

• Like 2

Ok, now we are on same page! I sure am not trying to say you should want to use haptic based systems. Nor do I need them - yet. I do hunt by ear. It is about what others may find useful. But I have to admit I am starting to find it useful to watch movies with close captioning turned on - I swear I replay some key passage four times and still can't understand what the heck they are saying! I really am going to do a full blown report on using a detector purely in vibration mode, so stay tuned.

• Like 2

For the visual, Put a red/yellow/green dot in google glass with an ID number.  now I can look anywhere I need to look and still get the info.  You still can have the wireless sound, and see the info.

• Like 1

I'm just a coin hunter. I like electron coins.
I can not live depending on the screen of the device. So electrons and golden victories are mine. ;)