Audio Or Visual Target ID

Audio or Visual Target ID  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which method of target identification is most important to you?

• Audio
    • Visual
    • Both Equally Important

2 hours ago, Deft Tones said:

Both but audio as the primary.

Instead of vibrate why not a few colored led lights to convey more information.

I hate vibration on my phone. Sometimes calls are missed when set to vibration. I don't see it having any advantage over a lighting system except for stealth.

Would every signal vibrate the same? If yes, then what's the point?

IMO vibration is better suited for the blind, not deaf.

Having several deaf family members whom use TTY machines for phone calls, their phone is integrated into the houselights so they flash when the phone rings. They don't have vibrating anything except when stomping the floors to gain your attention. Flashing visual indicators for the deaf, vibrating indicators for the blind deaf.

Good input! I think vibration could be a more nuanced sensory input than lights. The strength and frequency of the vibration could match the VCO audio of a gold detector. So the ZIP ZIP you get from a GMT could be felt as a very short, strong shake in the palm of your hand. Whereas an iron response could be a broken vibration with a hole in the middle. Just a thought!

Well, with a good visual, say SpectraGraph, you hunt until you get a sound, then examine the screen. If deaf, with vibrate you hunt until you get tactile feedback (which is nuanced) but then also go to screen for the visual. In either case, you are being alerted as to when you need to look at the screen so you can detect without having to stare at the screen all the time.

I see commentary from people saying they do not like screens because they do not like staring at the screen all the time, and I always wonder "why are you staring at the screen all the time?" You can look at is as much or as little as you please. Unless you are deaf and do not have the vibrate function.

Being focused purely on the screen is actually dangerous to the safety of the operator.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Well, with a good visual, say SpectraGraph, you hunt until you get a sound, then examine the screen. If deaf, with vibrate you hunt until you get tactile feedback (which is nuanced) but then also go to screen for the visual. In either case, you are being alerted as to when you need to look at the screen so you can detect without having to stare at the screen all the time.

I see commentary from people saying they do not like screens because they do not like staring at the screen all the time, and I always wonder "why are you staring at the screen all the time?" You can look at is as much or as little as you please. Unless you are deaf and do not have the vibrate function.

Being focused purely on the screen is actually dangerous to the safety of the operator.

Ditto on headphones in snake country. If you are not aware of your surroundings (no matter which sense) you are setting yourself up for a bad time out detecting.

This is coming from someone who has had several close calls with rattlers and one with a very curious cougar!

• Like 1

That's what I was going to say Steve. Well, the part about listening for a good signal THEN using the screen. 

This has been a topic in detecting since visual meters/id have been an option, still, for some reason I never really thought about doing an experiment. I want to now though... cover my screen for like and hour and see how it goes! Then hunt silently with screen for a while and see how that goes. For fun. I think audio only will be fun. Visual only will be frustrating, and as Steve said, probably dangerous! 

• Like 1

The LED needs to be where you need it.

Integrated in the coil just above the sweet spot.

Disc controls the colour. Red disced out, Green is an accepted target.

With screens you are always changing your focus, Coil, Screen, checking if the numbers are solid, looking how the target traces, rescan, etc.

Simplicity, if it's above disc I'm interested and digging. Even if it's just trash removal, cause next time, less trash equals more goodies.

The least talked about bit of gear in detecting is our most important asset. A Great Digger!!

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, scoopjohnb said:

The LED needs to be where you need it. Integrated in the coil just above the sweet spot.

Nice, now I have not heard that idea before, and a good one! Since Deus is wireless, they could do a little stick on wireless module with your LED you could put anyplace.

54 minutes ago, scoopjohnb said:

The LED needs to be where you need it.

Integrated in the coil just above the sweet spot.

Disc controls the colour. Red disced out, Green is an accepted target.

With screens you are always changing your focus, Coil, Screen, checking if the numbers are solid, looking how the target traces, rescan, etc.

Simplicity, if it's above disc I'm interested and digging. Even if it's just trash removal, cause next time, less trash equals more goodies.

The least talked about bit of gear in detecting is our most important asset. A Great Digger!!

I like this idea.