Steve Herschbach

Minelab And Customer Communications

48 posts in this topic

All the companies could improve, XP is just as bad... here we are 1/3 of the way through May and honestly I have little faith we will see the elipitical here in the US this month. No matter... as I'll be drooling all over myself when it does arrive and all will be wonderful.

Indeed, where is that elliptical coil? Sadly it seems like a waste of time even asking XP, may as well just wait it out.

Why blame engineers when it the job of PR and advertising?

1 person likes this

The post is not meant to be mean spirited. More tongue in cheek than anything... that is why it ends with a cartoon. It certainly is not a blame game on my part. It revolves more around the idea that companies have personalities as a whole rather than being about individuals or departments.

Trust me, as a nerd/introvert my sympathies are with the engineers!

IMG_0400.PNG

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

How many of you know engineers? Have you spent a lot of time talking to engineers? They are not really famous for communication skills.

They are famous for their drinking skills - the ones I know anyway ......... If I ever want to shut them up I just start talking about the fairer sex ......... the blank look is priceless.

Cheers

BB

3 people like this

Maybe the established detector industry will look more closely as how Nokta communicates to customers when introducing new products or resolving issues as they arise. But that maybe wishful thinking.

Where it really counts I have had fabulous service from Minelab and Fisher. When my GPZ froze up I had three days of technical support to try to solve the download software issue. It could not be solved, and they immediately sent me a new machine. First class in all respects. Last month the discrimination toggle switch on my GB2 stopped working. I called, and the it was fixed under warranty in a week (thank you Felix!).

When it comes to marketing, the marketing guys (not necessarily the engineers) can play some really nasty games like pre-announce a product to freeze the market and get pre-orders. This is how Intel won the microprocessor wars against Motorola even though Intel was late to market. However, sometimes delays happen because of manufacturing issues such as design tweaks or parts availability. Better late than wrong.

There is no excuse for lack of communication.

Hey Hawkeye - I love the Dilbert cartoon.

1 person likes this

From my point of view, they weren't ever good or clear about their communication/s.

They're not that company anymore. They are part of a larger conglomerate. 

That outfit was established 1 July 1959 which means 'old fashioned values' i.e. keeping things close to their chest.

The 'engineers' are from the old part of the original company. They are employed on 'contracts' that can last the duration of a New Product invention. I know these guys and they are a great bunch of ordinary people. Brilliant, but ordinary.

They have Privacy clauses so they cannot speak about what they are doing.

The Marketing people have similar clauses so they cannot speak either until a New Product is ready for release.

They have made a few attempts in the past 24mths to tell us things they want us to know. Other than that, they stay sthum!

We had a Prime Minister for a few years who was not actually elected as Prime Minister and was hugely unpopular because in his three year tenure in that role avoided making 'Presidential Address' like the American President's do. The People wanted him to tell us what was going on but he resolutely stayed away from the cameras!

He was ousted.

Maybe 'Phase Tech' might chime in on this one?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By tboykin
      Something I've been thinking about is "growing the hobby." It's kind of a tricky thing.
      For detector manufacturers to survive, there is a need to expand the reach and interest in metal detecting as a hobby. But, the catch 21 is that there are less and less relics and old coins to dig each year. The more people get into detecting, the less old stuff we find. And the finds are what get people into detecting in my experience. It's a lot harder to get excited about finding 37 cents at a park than it is to find a trime or a colonial buckle.
      In talking to old timers, the "good ole days" seemed to be the 70's, 80's and early 90's - when silver was easier to find and every site wasn't pounded to death. That's why making detectors that out-perform current machines is so important. A deeper, better discriminating machine can breathe new life into old spots, which is what most manufacturers should be working on.
      What do you think about introducing the hobby to new generations? Would you prefer it stay an "old guy hobby," or would you like to see the younger crowd pick up where you leave off? How do we deal with the fact that each day, there is less treasure (including nuggets) to find?
    • By jjm861
      I will start be saying is has been a pretty good year already with the release of several detectors.  With out sounding too impatient, I would love to see Fisher release a new muti-frequency or PI type detector soon.  What are your thoughts of this happening with the next couple of months?? 
    • By Ridge Runner
      I woke up this morning hearing bells ringing and birds singing but no New Garrett Detector. This month of May is going to be exciting with all the new toys coming out.
      I guess we need to just sit back and wait. My trouble is that's one thing I'm not good at.
      Chuck
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Discover Magazine

Some of you might remember a publication called "Discover" that White's Electronics used to publish. It featured customer finds, treasure stories, and all-around good info on metal detecting. Back in the 90's we stopped making it, much to the disappointment of some of our long-time customers.
      Well... we realized missed it too! So we're proud to announce the re-introduction of Discover magazine. As a part of our mailing list you have exclusive access to a free digital copy, which you can read online, print out, and share as you see fit. Get your free copy here. We'll try and send one out every 2 months.
      Thanks for supporting an American brand, and know that we will always have your back as a valued customer. This publication is just one small thing we can do to show our appreciation!
      Discover Magazine May/June 2017
      Discover Magazine March/April 2017
      Discover Magazine January/February 2017

Sincerely,
      White's Electronics
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Discover Magazine

Some of you might remember a publication called "Discover" that White's Electronics used to publish. It featured customer finds, treasure stories, and all-around good info on metal detecting. Back in the 90's we stopped making it, much to the disappointment of some of our long-time customers.
      Well... we realized missed it too! So we're proud to announce the re-introduction of Discover magazine. As a part of our mailing list you have exclusive access to a free digital copy, which you can read online, print out, and share as you see fit. Get your free copy here. We'll try and send one out every 2 months.
      Thanks for supporting an American brand, and know that we will always have your back as a valued customer. This publication is just one small thing we can do to show our appreciation!
      Discover Magazine March/April 2017
      Discover Magazine January/February 2017

Sincerely,
      White's Electronics
    • By Steve Herschbach
      In 2014 I posted a review of a detector by a company almost nobody here had ever heard of:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/352-detailed-review-of-the-nokta-fors-gold-nugget-detector/

If you look at that review of the Nokta FORS Gold you will see I had made several comments about things I think needed improving on the machine. Yes, I do that sort of thing. What amazed me is Nokta fixed every one of them, and in record time - I made a special note in the review about it later. It made a serious impression on me. 

What then followed was a quick succession of machines by Nokta and Makro, the sister company. Nothing earth shattering per se but top flight performance at aggressive prices and a willingness to try new ideas and listen to feedback. Frankly, it came on so quickly it actually turned some people off, and I saw complaints about too many machines too fast! 

The entire time that we are seeing this rapid succession of machines most of us are waiting on this or that manufacturer to deliver just one new machine. October 2014 to now, and I am looking at a machine in the Nokta Impact that frankly has no exact equivalent from many of the old school top tier manufacturers. Maybe you guys see no merit in being able to select frequencies but I am highly focused on replacing all my various VLF machines with just one detector, and it is most likely going to be a selectable frequency model that wins that competition. If Nok/Mak can get from FORS CoRe to Impact in three years the "Big 5" manufacturers had better get serious and quick about picking up the pace. The listen and bend over backwards to please attitude alone is getting a lot of fans willing to forgive in other areas. Next up we will no doubt be seeing PI models and multi frequency.... and who knows what else. People can and will argue the relative merits of the Impact versus the other top-of-the-line models, but just the fact the Impact is getting compared to the very best anyone else can make says something about how far this company has come.

Anyway, I have my own ideas about the Nokta Impact and what I will be doing with it, and most revolve around the large coil. The main thing I wanted to note here is what an accomplishment this is a for a company almost none of us heard of less than three years ago, and what it means for where they will be three years from now. Congratulations to the Nokta and Makro team and most especially to Dilek Gönülay for an impressive job well done.