Steve Herschbach

Minelab And Customer Communications

Thank you for that laugh!!!!  My fat little belly is still quaking

fred

• Like 1

I have a formula I use with engineers (mechanical, electrical and programmers). When they give me a commitment date, for example 2 weeks, I will raise that time to the next level of time and then double the number, thus 2 weeks becomes 4 months. In my numerous years of dealing with engineering folks in a number of capacities my formula has been correct much more often than it has been wrong. Much to the chagrin of my engineering co-workers. I look at the communications of most all the tech companies the same way. If I'm hot for some new world beater product - reality sets in and I turn up my patience and am thrilled when it does finally does arrive especially if more than half of the promised features actually work.

Mike

• Like 2

Crikey, you`ve scrambled me with that one Steve, I`m not just over the fence and now Ricks just come in with rocket science, definitely am over the fence, and in a diff paddock....................and I`m a SH Engineer.

• Like 2

well, my feeling is hurt...I got the egg thing right off...

Gee, to think with a brain and some education I could have been an engineer....

• Like 4

yah the egg thing made complete sense to me...  :-) 

what doesn't make sense is why my wife wont give me the ok to get a GPZ....  something about rate of return. :-) so I stick to my good old gold bug...

• Like 2

You know guys I too laugh at the jokes. I read the reviews that was posted on here and the one I got in the mail today in my GPAA Mag. To read all the reviews so far has been uplifting . The reading this uplifting material is got to the point of not being that great anymore.

Myself and others like me have put their money down upfront and keep hearing tomorrow. May 8th was one of the tomorrows but now we don't know when the next tomorrow will be.

I just hope I don't run out of chap stick and where I need it,it's not going to last.

Chuck 

I guess without those quirky engineers, we wouldn't have much in the way of good detectors. But there is one detecting manufacturing company that has something the others do not......they have a Dilek. What a difference having a Dilek makes. :smile:

• Like 1

I seem to have the opposite experience - Minelab customer service has always been top notch to me and I wish more companies would do what they do. They literally overnighted me parts when I called since I was leaving town in 2 days and had no address in the field (and sent me an extra just to be safe), and always resolved my other issues right away. They called me back once just to check on me too. Apologized instantly the one time they made an error.

Nokta on the other hand - well, I still don't have a working detector after 2 years.  :angry: All that happened is I was referred back to Kellyco when I contacted them directly, the same Kellyco that had already botched up, and kept passing blame (and charged me for their errors in shipping) twice already.  Who then proceeded to keep sending me broken detectors with the exact same problems (I suspect they sent me the same detector back on at least one occasion). Now, 4 detectors later, still don't have a working one. Gave up. Posted about it twice, after trying all other avenues since Nokta seemed to respond to public posts - nada for me. Just a total and complete waste of $700 and being entirely ignored. A frustrating and baffling experience all around for me and I will go out of my way to recommend avoiding them, especially since even now no one has tried to make it good, just...nothing. Did people actually get customer service from Nokta or just shovelled off to Kellyco?

I'll take the engineers any day...

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ridge Runner
      Well I received my December 2017 mag from Lost Treasure today and just on the inside of the first page is the new MX 7. This has to be the same detector that Tom has been swinging around with a orange ring around the face. White's is offering you a look at the detector by way of a video on their site.
      The only thing said is a test was done with a 8.5 gram 14K gold ring at 14 inches saying gonna need a bigger shovel. I guess to find out more we all need to look at White's video on this detector.
      Chuck
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Back when I started detecting in the 70s there were pages full of detector manufacturers in the magazine. Frankly, because anyone could make a metal detector in their garage! For me at least it was obvious there were some people leading the way and in the 1980s the "Big 5" were:
      Compass Fisher Garrett Tesoro White's Unfortunately things went south for Compass though the machines are well regarded even today. A brash newcomer arrived on the scene to replace them and so in the 1990s the Big 5 list changed:
      Fisher Garrett Minelab Tesoro White's I think we are now at another change in the list - at least as far as I am concerned. There are no doubt people who will disagree very strongly with me and that's ok. I am sorry to say I just do not see Tesoro as a major player anymore. They have been milking old circuits for far too long, and have made a lot of missteps as of late. Great folks, the Giffords, but I just do not pay attention to Tesoro any more. Also, Fisher has become part of a larger powerhouse named First Texas which also makes Bounty Hunter and Teknetics detectors. Who am I watching these days?
      First Texas Garrett Minelab White's ??? And right now entry into the Big 5 is a race. We have three big contenders and one or the other may prove to be a Big 5 member. It may even be we need to recognize a Big 6! But we are not there yet.
      Contestant Number One. XP Metal Detectors of France. There can be no denying the impact of the XP DEUS in the metal detecting world. At the same time, it is very easy to overestimate the impact. It is just one detector, and a very expensive one at that, on the shelf at very few locations. Before XP can join the Big 5 they have to broaden the product offering. To get me on board they need to put a DEUS in a F75 type body with traditional coils. if you think I am just an old fuddy duddy you simply do not know where the big bucks are in the detecting world at this time. They need a more traditional model or two under $1000 retail before they are going to have any real impact. Anybody that does not make a real good $500 - $700 detector is just not a player yet. They want to ever play in my world they also need a dedicated prospecting detector and a PI detector. Lots of people would like to see a multi frequency model from XP. No rumors even but I have to believe XP is working on a mainstream product under a grand. We will see.
      Contestant Number Two. Nokta/Makro of Turkey. These two companies together now as one actually have an extensive and fairly high tech product line but only very limited offerings targeting the mainstream consumer metal detecting world. Ignoring what I consider to be oddball models there are the Nokta Velox One, FORS CoRe, and FORS Gold plus Makro CF77. Only the FORS models have gotten any real attention and like XP we can really just get it down to one detector that has had any impact, the Nokta FORS CoRe. Honestly, nobody even heard of these folks a few months ago (sorry Nokta, just telling it like it is) and compared to even XP their visibility is minimal. I think it is safe to say yet most people in the detecting world are not even aware of them. They basically have to do what XP needs to do. Follow up with models targeting the mainstream, and they also need to establish more dealers and service in the U.S. Right now XP has a bit of a head start but Nokta/Makro have the more explicitly stated goal of wanting to be a Big 5 company with models including mid-range products, PI detectors, and more. There will be service in the U.S. any minute now and an expanded dealer base. They are behind and it is early but right now I am betting on Nokta/Makro as filling that open space in the Big 5 list soon. The new Makro Racer due in February could be their breakthrough offering.
      Contestant Number Three. Tesoro Electronics. It is actually their spot to give up and they could still hold into it by surprising everyone with a new model soon that defies expectations. I think the entire future of Tesoro is riding on the Cazador. If they surprise us with something that looks like it is made for the 21st century instead of being a throwback to the 20th century then they have a fighting chance. Maybe that is why the Cazador is taking so long - Tesoro needs to swing for the fences.
      It is going to be a very interesting year indeed!
    • By Mxt Sniper
      Something that may be of interest I just ran across on a Aussie nugget forum!! Sounds like Whites may be coming out soon with a new pi of their own that will compete with the rest!!

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14297

• By Steve Herschbach
      XP is a company going places and they scored a home run with the XP DEUS in particular. Rechargeable coils are not my cup of tea but I admire what the company has done in pushing design boundaries. When they get around to putting DEUS capability in a more traditional package with less expensive coil options I will have to have one.

Anyway, business has been good for them and they just finished an expansion of their facility to better keep up with demand. http://www.xp-detectors.co.uk/the-new-xp-factory-is-finished/ I wish them success going forward and will keep an eye out for whatever new products they have in the future.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Hot off the electronic press...
      http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/searcher_pdf/3500070_searcher_fall2015.pdf

• By Ridge Runner
      I sent Nokta my address like they requested Monday. This morning I get a text from  DHL saying they have my detector ;part and I'll get it on Friday. I've never had a detector that came in two parts. This is the thing that makes me uneasy but I got to put my faith in Nokta. I'm sure they have been down the same road before.
       I need to send the handle I have to them but going to check that comes with my new handle. The address that's came with the detector is longer than my arm. I just don't want it to get lost in space and never come down to earth in the right place
       I can't be spending my time thinking about that anymore. The Nokta Impact will be out in 2016 and I need to spend my time thinking about it. 

Nokta
        I f you will send me a good address I'll get the handle off to you this week. I thank you for the quick service.
        chuck Anders