Steve Herschbach

Minelab And Customer Communications

48 posts in this topic

Thank you for that laugh!!!!  My fat little belly is still quaking

fred

1 person likes this

I have a formula I use with engineers (mechanical, electrical and programmers). When they give me a commitment date, for example 2 weeks, I will raise that time to the next level of time and then double the number, thus 2 weeks becomes 4 months. In my numerous years of dealing with engineering folks in a number of capacities my formula has been correct much more often than it has been wrong. Much to the chagrin of my engineering co-workers. I look at the communications of most all the tech companies the same way. If I'm hot for some new world beater product - reality sets in and I turn up my patience and am thrilled when it does finally does arrive especially if more than half of the promised features actually work.

Mike

2 people like this

Crikey, you`ve scrambled me with that one Steve, I`m not just over the fence and now Ricks just come in with rocket science, definitely am over the fence, and in a diff paddock....................and I`m a SH Engineer.

2 people like this

well, my feeling is hurt...I got the egg thing right off...

Gee, to think with a brain and some education I could have been an engineer....

4 people like this

yah the egg thing made complete sense to me...  :-) 

what doesn't make sense is why my wife wont give me the ok to get a GPZ....  something about rate of return. :-) so I stick to my good old gold bug...

2 people like this

You know guys I too laugh at the jokes. I read the reviews that was posted on here and the one I got in the mail today in my GPAA Mag. To read all the reviews so far has been uplifting . The reading this uplifting material is got to the point of not being that great anymore.

Myself and others like me have put their money down upfront and keep hearing tomorrow. May 8th was one of the tomorrows but now we don't know when the next tomorrow will be.

I just hope I don't run out of chap stick and where I need it,it's not going to last.

Chuck 

I guess without those quirky engineers, we wouldn't have much in the way of good detectors. But there is one detecting manufacturing company that has something the others do not......they have a Dilek. What a difference having a Dilek makes. :smile:

1 person likes this

I seem to have the opposite experience - Minelab customer service has always been top notch to me and I wish more companies would do what they do. They literally overnighted me parts when I called since I was leaving town in 2 days and had no address in the field (and sent me an extra just to be safe), and always resolved my other issues right away. They called me back once just to check on me too. Apologized instantly the one time they made an error.

Nokta on the other hand - well, I still don't have a working detector after 2 years.  :angry: All that happened is I was referred back to Kellyco when I contacted them directly, the same Kellyco that had already botched up, and kept passing blame (and charged me for their errors in shipping) twice already.  Who then proceeded to keep sending me broken detectors with the exact same problems (I suspect they sent me the same detector back on at least one occasion). Now, 4 detectors later, still don't have a working one. Gave up. Posted about it twice, after trying all other avenues since Nokta seemed to respond to public posts - nada for me. Just a total and complete waste of $700 and being entirely ignored. A frustrating and baffling experience all around for me and I will go out of my way to recommend avoiding them, especially since even now no one has tried to make it good, just...nothing. Did people actually get customer service from Nokta or just shovelled off to Kellyco?

I'll take the engineers any day...

3 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By tboykin
      Something I've been thinking about is "growing the hobby." It's kind of a tricky thing.
      For detector manufacturers to survive, there is a need to expand the reach and interest in metal detecting as a hobby. But, the catch 21 is that there are less and less relics and old coins to dig each year. The more people get into detecting, the less old stuff we find. And the finds are what get people into detecting in my experience. It's a lot harder to get excited about finding 37 cents at a park than it is to find a trime or a colonial buckle.
      In talking to old timers, the "good ole days" seemed to be the 70's, 80's and early 90's - when silver was easier to find and every site wasn't pounded to death. That's why making detectors that out-perform current machines is so important. A deeper, better discriminating machine can breathe new life into old spots, which is what most manufacturers should be working on.
      What do you think about introducing the hobby to new generations? Would you prefer it stay an "old guy hobby," or would you like to see the younger crowd pick up where you leave off? How do we deal with the fact that each day, there is less treasure (including nuggets) to find?
    • By jjm861
      I will start be saying is has been a pretty good year already with the release of several detectors.  With out sounding too impatient, I would love to see Fisher release a new muti-frequency or PI type detector soon.  What are your thoughts of this happening with the next couple of months?? 
    • By Ridge Runner
      I woke up this morning hearing bells ringing and birds singing but no New Garrett Detector. This month of May is going to be exciting with all the new toys coming out.
      I guess we need to just sit back and wait. My trouble is that's one thing I'm not good at.
      Chuck
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Discover Magazine

Some of you might remember a publication called "Discover" that White's Electronics used to publish. It featured customer finds, treasure stories, and all-around good info on metal detecting. Back in the 90's we stopped making it, much to the disappointment of some of our long-time customers.
      Well... we realized missed it too! So we're proud to announce the re-introduction of Discover magazine. As a part of our mailing list you have exclusive access to a free digital copy, which you can read online, print out, and share as you see fit. Get your free copy here. We'll try and send one out every 2 months.
      Thanks for supporting an American brand, and know that we will always have your back as a valued customer. This publication is just one small thing we can do to show our appreciation!
      Discover Magazine May/June 2017
      Discover Magazine March/April 2017
      Discover Magazine January/February 2017

Sincerely,
      White's Electronics
    • By Steve Herschbach
      Discover Magazine

Some of you might remember a publication called "Discover" that White's Electronics used to publish. It featured customer finds, treasure stories, and all-around good info on metal detecting. Back in the 90's we stopped making it, much to the disappointment of some of our long-time customers.
      Well... we realized missed it too! So we're proud to announce the re-introduction of Discover magazine. As a part of our mailing list you have exclusive access to a free digital copy, which you can read online, print out, and share as you see fit. Get your free copy here. We'll try and send one out every 2 months.
      Thanks for supporting an American brand, and know that we will always have your back as a valued customer. This publication is just one small thing we can do to show our appreciation!
      Discover Magazine March/April 2017
      Discover Magazine January/February 2017

Sincerely,
      White's Electronics
    • By Steve Herschbach
      In 2014 I posted a review of a detector by a company almost nobody here had ever heard of:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/352-detailed-review-of-the-nokta-fors-gold-nugget-detector/

If you look at that review of the Nokta FORS Gold you will see I had made several comments about things I think needed improving on the machine. Yes, I do that sort of thing. What amazed me is Nokta fixed every one of them, and in record time - I made a special note in the review about it later. It made a serious impression on me. 

What then followed was a quick succession of machines by Nokta and Makro, the sister company. Nothing earth shattering per se but top flight performance at aggressive prices and a willingness to try new ideas and listen to feedback. Frankly, it came on so quickly it actually turned some people off, and I saw complaints about too many machines too fast! 

The entire time that we are seeing this rapid succession of machines most of us are waiting on this or that manufacturer to deliver just one new machine. October 2014 to now, and I am looking at a machine in the Nokta Impact that frankly has no exact equivalent from many of the old school top tier manufacturers. Maybe you guys see no merit in being able to select frequencies but I am highly focused on replacing all my various VLF machines with just one detector, and it is most likely going to be a selectable frequency model that wins that competition. If Nok/Mak can get from FORS CoRe to Impact in three years the "Big 5" manufacturers had better get serious and quick about picking up the pace. The listen and bend over backwards to please attitude alone is getting a lot of fans willing to forgive in other areas. Next up we will no doubt be seeing PI models and multi frequency.... and who knows what else. People can and will argue the relative merits of the Impact versus the other top-of-the-line models, but just the fact the Impact is getting compared to the very best anyone else can make says something about how far this company has come.

Anyway, I have my own ideas about the Nokta Impact and what I will be doing with it, and most revolve around the large coil. The main thing I wanted to note here is what an accomplishment this is a for a company almost none of us heard of less than three years ago, and what it means for where they will be three years from now. Congratulations to the Nokta and Makro team and most especially to Dilek Gönülay for an impressive job well done.