Larger DD Coils For Gpx?

Hello,

This was posted in the Find's forum as well but no answer yet. So I am planning on getting  a 18 or 15" DD coil for my GPX 5000 for relic hunting. I am looking at ML and Detech coils. I am unsure if I should go ahead and get the ML 18" DD or rather the Detech one, or maybe even the 15" Spiral DD by Detech. Which one gives more depth on relics? Which one is more quiet? Any suggestions?

Thanks
FschJg

Really comes down to a few factors:

1. What size relics are you after?

2. What depth are you hoping to achieve?

3. How thick is the junk? 

The 15" DD Detech has very good depth, and sensitivity equal to an 11" DD. For this reason it will also reject iron to a greater depth. However, for very large targets, the 18" DD will punch a touch deeper. 

The 18" DD will pick up more EMI if that is a problem. Weight wise they are about the same. 

• Like 3

It sounds like the 15" DD Spiral by Detech is a very good allround coil and has some advantages compared to the stock 11". My understanding from reading so far, it is even more sensitive than the 11" stock, has a deeper iron reject and the larger footprint. I also read it is less effected by EMI compared to the stock. So really it is now a matter between the 15" Detech and a 18" by Detech or ML.

Btw, I am after Roman/Celtic coins and WW2 relics. Size anywhere from Dime size coins helmets.

Got the 15" spiral and the 18" mono both by Detech. Can't wait to see them in action.

• Like 1

I sure will. Both coils are in transit as we speak. With a bit of luck I will have'em on the weekened.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...