Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DolanDave

Gold N Meteorites At Gold Basin Saturday

15 posts in this topic

Dang.....   :ohmy:

That's quite a haul !!  

I also wish the weather would stay like this.  We both know it won't, so better make the most of it and get out there again while the gettin' is still good.

Congrats !!

Luke

1 person likes this

without asking where exactly...where the nuggets and meteorites from the same area or basically separate hunts? Very Nice day, either way!

fred

13 minutes ago, fredmason said:

without asking where exactly...where the nuggets and meteorites from the same area or basically separate hunts? Very Nice day, either way!

fred

Fred,

From same area...

Dave

Great finds there mate :smile:    Forgive my ignorance but are they iron meteorites and you detected them, or are they stony meteorites and you just spot them on the ground?    either way, great finds. Dave

Thanks Dave..that should have were not where ( old and stupid)

Phoenix, chrondrites with enough nickel/iron to sing on any decent nugget hunting detector. The GPZ seems to like them very well....(I know i'm not Dave)...finding a sun-baker is getting hard to do in the Basin.

fred

1 person likes this

Dang, that's a really good day of detecting! Nice job. :-)

1 person likes this

Good job Dave.

You guys have just been treated to the finds of one of the best guys in all the basin and beyond.  Go to YouTube and see a few of his hunts.  

Google him and read some of his wisdom.

Mitchel

4 people like this

Congratulations! That was a big score!!! I still haven't found a nugget at Gold Basin

Chris

1 person likes this

congrats on a good day out

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By madhatter
      Hi All
      I was hoping some of you might be able to clear somethings up for me please.
      When you GB,
      Do you do the "walk and sweep" method and then "ferrite balance"?
      or
      Can you only pick one method?
      IF only one method allowed, then how do you decide which one to use?
      Also, is there any "list" so to speak of showing different gold modes and ground types combinations to help know what depths and sizes you are targeting?
      Eg,
      HY/Normal = ? Hy/Difficult = ? Hy/Severe = ?
      General/Normal = ? General/Difficult = ? General/Severe = ?
      ExtraDeep/Normal = ? ExtraDeep/Difficult = ? ExtraDeep/Severe = ?
      I have found "info" regarding settings for large deep nuggets but what if I also wanted to check for small shallow gold?
      What settings would suit small, shallow bits?
      Sorry to ask so much in one go :)
    • By LuckyLundy
      It's been and extreme wet season in my hunting areas for months!  Back in the day when I dredged, I'd be jumping in the creeks hitting my known gold lairs.  But, and extreme wet season for chasing nuggets with a metal detector isn't necessary for success.  Wet soil means extra hot ground as we fight the minerals in the different soils of our goldfields.  I swing the GPZ 7000 and like many High Yield/Normal is my favorite setting when the ground permits a smooth Threshold.  But, for months I've been stuck in High Yield/Difficult.  Using Difficult, means some different gold tones to store in your mind too.  Our entire hunting group this year has had to simmer down their SDC 2300 and GPX's to combat this wet season soil conditions.  In these hot soil conditions expect numerous hot spots of minerals that sound like a likable target.  You have to check these spots out!  Mineralized hot dirt most of the time will not get louder as you dig a couple inches.  Hot rocks can/will get louder as you dig, but most of these spots you can try to ground balance out before you dig deeper...some!  A real target will sometimes fool you in hot soils.  It's may sound good as your digging it and out of the hole.  But, in the pile hard to hear and may sound like hot soil.  Kick your pile flat helps to bring your target back to life.  Who said, in metal detecting you'd need a Criminal Justice Degree in syphring out a true target and catching a sly nugget in hot soils...hard enough in good conditions!  This trip, there was no skunks in our hunting party of 5, my two are top center and the big one was just shy of 1/4 oz 4.89 dwt.  Until the next hunt!
      LuckyLundy

• By fredmason

I forgot how long it takes to get to the campsite in the Dale.  The wind was howling much of the time.
      Anyway, I found a five gram bit of the San Bernadino Wash meteorite...I had sold all the first pieces I found , so this is just big enough for me to cherish...
      I also found a 1.2 grain nugglet...in an area that had not yielded any before...it is all good.

We had a good time for a very short trip...

fred

• By Bada Bing
      So you have the best detector with the arguably deepest punching coil there is. I've been throwing it around since it came out. In the beginning I had it on for as long as possible but it was late in the season over here and the summer heat halted the crusade.
      I had not had a single signal .. nada, niete, halemaal niets (well one then - a f&*@ing tree root... on my first day out - see my initial run with gpz 19 thread).
      The season started a few months ago and I've become a bit more strategic with it. I was only chucking it on when I knew or thought we were in deep ground.
      So I'm out with the boys and on a spot that has had a lot of gold come off it (a lot means a lot). The ‘girls’ decided they would sleep in as we detected until 1am the night before. "You snooze you lose" comes to mind so I'm up at 6am and into it with the 19".
      The area had a fair few hot rocks (even with the 19") and then I came across a confusing signal. Definitely not a screamer but got me mildly excited. Scraped away with the boot and the signal was gone. Bugger another bloody hot rock. The sound just made me hesitate and I thought just check it out. There was a small hot rock and I still thought there was something going on - it just felt wrong. I grabbed a few more rocks and found one with a signal. It was covered in shit and I was expecting to see the classic black of an ironstone hot rock. Rubbed it and it was a dark brown and I thought, "I'm in here". Cleaned it up on the spot as best I could and was scanning like a madman to see any speck of colour. After about 30 seconds of scanning there it was - the tiniest speck on the outside. Relief .......
      I hammered the area for another half hour then went back to camp. Strategically making just enough noise to get the girls stirring, they arose. "Get any? The call comes from sleeping quarters. "Well yes I did", and threw it to him. The grim look on his face said it all - "he's beaten us". The specie's from this spot had generally been running at 1/3 of the weight of the specie. This one was 68g so the prediction was a 20g specie. The plot thickens...........
      At the end of the day the boys were a bit demoralised as they had nothing to show, and of course I reminded them of this fact. Out of interest I threw the specie down for my mate to check with his 4500. Barely a murmur, you would walk over it with the 4500. Initially, the look was one of OMG, I can't hear this specie and I could have walked over 30 of these today and would never have known ...... Then it turned too - "mate there's a gram in there at most". They kicked back laughing and joking for the rest of the night happy in the knowledge my potential win was actually a huge loss.
      I got home and went through the specie procedure to estimate the weight (great calculator at http://www.gold-prospecting-wa.com/gold-in-quartz.html). Whoops, it's 20.9g of gold .........
      I gave it a whack. There is gold all through it ...... I just about cried laughing and fired off a few pics for the lads to digest.
      The worlds biggest and best detector with the largest coil with massive depth gets a bloody floating specie ..... the irony is, well, ironic.
      Cheers
      BB

• By Andyy
      Overall, the GPZ is an awesome tool and I have been extremely happy with it since I purchased one about 6 months ago.  But I thought I would gather what things people wish would be included as a future option/improvement such as software upgrades/gps options ... etc.   Maybe I will forward the link to their marketing department (since I hear engineers are so difficult to work with ;p)
      Please list only your top 3 wishes for improvement/options/upgrades in order of priority ...  if they are the same as others then that is fine.  It shows we want similar things.
      My wish list:
      1)  smaller coil option - anywhere from 8-11"
      2)  software update allowing storage of a secondary settings (similar to GPX5000)
      3)  maybe a clock on the front screen
    • By Steve Herschbach
      This only fits the newer Minelab CTX 3030 and all GPZ 7000 units. Most people like me probably only want a replacement stand but for $15.00 with free shipping it is hard to complain. Except about the stand being so flimsy in the first place!
      Minelab Kit part #3011-0283 https://store.minelab.com/product-p/3011-0283.htm