Sign in to follow this  
Condor

Deus HF 3rd Outing

beatup    267

WTG  Steve looks like you will be packing the Dues with you from now on.

jasong    678

Nice, almost busting into the subgrain range. Elliptical should be killer then too.

How variable are the gold VDI's?

Condor    464

Jasong,

When I can get a good VDI, they range from mid 40 to mid 50's at 54KHZ. The tiny nuggets produce a good clear tone, but they will hardly register a VDI.  I didn't show the backsides of a couple nuggets.  Clearly specimen type nuggets.

• Like 3

deathray    404

Way to go. Keep the reports coming! Someday I may have a day off,haha

strick    799

Throw the ring in the tumbler...thanks for the report on the Deus...

strick

LuckyLundy    668

WTG!

Rick

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Some random notes, and if you don't know what I am talking about as regards some detail of this machine or that I apologize. 
      Well, I finally updated my XP Deus with 11" coil to the version 4 update. Then I hauled it and the Nokta Impact with 11" and Teknetics G2 with 11" out for several hours of cross checking coin type targets. The G2 is a Gold Bug Pro variant running at 19 kHz and I put it up against the Deus at 18 kHz and Impact at 20 kHz. I acquired the G2 new recently to use specifically as a benchmark unit because I am very familiar with it and because in my opinion it does 19 kHz as well as it can be done. I spent hours swapping machines as the hunt machine, then cross checking the undug targets with the other two. Lots of settings tried, with the main goal to try and find some deep fringe type target or target in trash where any machine can get a clear and definable edge.
      Well good luck with that. All I mainly did was impress myself again with what a little powerhouse the Gold Bug Pro/G2 is for the price. It is fairly mineralized ground but not the worst, 5 bars out of 7 on the G2 Fe3O4 meter, ground balance about 86. The only real "aha" moment was in learning the Impact really likes to upscale shallow small foil when in 5 kHz mode, but shoves the id back down to where it should be at 14 kHz or 20 kHz. All the machines like to upscale deeper aluminum in this ground.

All three seemed to get tricked in much the same way on certain targets, like a deep pull tab reading like a dime. For gold hunting purposes I do not mind machines upscaling low conductive targets, and in fact the Impact 5khz mode may have a benefit in nugget detecting because it does want to push light foil (and therefore small gold) higher. But for coin detecting upscaling aluminum is annoying. Pretty much par for the course however for mid to higher single frequency machines.
      I found running the Impact in VLX1 was nice as I could flip over just one click to the Gen(D) mixed mode program for a dramatically different read and better target definition. Target id numbers in my ground are slightly higher in the "expanded ferrous" modes like VLX1 and VLX2 compared to DI3 and DI4.
      The Deus V4 Gold Field program does seem to pack some extra punch now, be fun to get it out nugget hunting once the elliptical coil hits the streets. The new Deep mode really seems great while the new Hot mode is, shall I say it, interesting. First time I have used the X-Y screens also. 
      The G2 is what it is, almost no controls but it gets the job done with what it has, and good solid id. Deus and Impact in the other hand have countless options and programs to try, but by and large there is no magic bullet. Three great machines, I can hunt with any of them. It will take a lot more hours to sort it all out.

I find when running machines that are all hitting the VLF Wall that it is the "other things" that get my notice. The Impact is obviously the heavier of the three (4 lbs 4.7 oz / 1946 grams), although very well balanced, so I give the feel on my arm award to the G2 (3 lbs 1.5 oz / 1404 grams) and the Deus (2 lbs 4.0 oz / 1020 grams with 11" coil and control box). The G2 and Deus are neck and neck in the comfort department FOR ME* but the G2 feels ever so slightly better to me, I am guessing because the coil is lighter on the G2. The G2 slays both the Impact and Deus for speaker volume if run without headphones, but on the other hand it has no volume control so would be too loud for some situations.
      Been awhile since I ran a Gold Bug Pro / G2 unit and caught myself when switching from disc mode to all metal when cross checking at one point and forgetting that the "big number" changes from target id in disc mode to ground phase in all metal mode, so I was looking at the ground phase instead of the little speedometer thinking it was target id for a couple goes. That one quirk always had me liking the F75 versus the Bug in all metal. I wish Fisher made a 19 kHz F75!

*On arm comfort is a very subjective subject. In particular it has a great deal to do with the size of a persons hands plus length and thickness of their forearm, and their height. You really can't take any one persons word on this subject as it is like buying hiking boots. What fits one person does not fit another. It is not all about detector weight by a long shot. Balance is very important as is the all important hand grip. I am 5' 11" with forearms on the thinner side and smallish hands. For instance, my forearm really bounces around in the large Impact armrest area. The Deus armrest which may be too small for some fits me better. For me personally, the 3.5 lb Teknetics T2 / Fisher F75 is the most comfortable detector I have ever used. It is superbly balanced and something about the hand grip that narrows to the top as it cants forward really makes my hand happy. I can squeeze the armrest shut to fit my arm. So if you find the F75 to be a great fit for you, my comments apply to you. If you hate the T2/F75 setup then what I have to say is less important.

• By 57buick
      I just ordered my first Deus and a HF coil. So can you clarify. In the parks around town should I keep the freq lower or still take advantage of the higher freq? Seems from the videos I've seen so far the higher freq make non-ferrous jump out more. So will I ever need to use the lower freq at all?
      I understand I am gonna use the 80khz when prospecting for nuggets but have been curious  about the benefits of using the lower freq still
      Forgive my newb questions.
    • By Tnsharpshooter
      The owner's manual for Deus detector recommends when components are charged to disconnect charging harness from components.
      I really don't know electrically what happens with say the wall charger, or even a auto charger adapter when Deus components reach full charge.
      So, I have this portable pack.
      Will show a front and back pic.
      It has a percentage of charge left shown in upper right corner.
      This thing seems will charge a Deus up a bunch.
      Here is where the pack may come in handy even when at home and you desire  to charge your Deus,,but can't be there eyeballing it when it reaches full charge. Or maybe driving and don't want to monitor charge process.
      Btw other packs may operate similar,,this is only the second type I have owned,,first one didn't give info like this one does.
      Anyway, when Deus components (all) when connected reach full charge the pack seems to shut down,,due to no load being applied.
      The percentage number of power left in pack (numerical indicator) goes out  when all Deus components are fully charged.
      Bought this one at Wally World for $28 bucks.
      Will pump a cell phone battery up too, tablets, etc.

r
    • By Condor
      It's a mere 114 degrees here in the Desert Southwest and I've got another bunged up knee.  No stitches this time, just a bruise on the critical moving parts, but it gave me an opportunity to futz with my Deus conversion to the collapsible Golden Mask rod.  The problem with the Deus HF coils is that the battery is stored in the rod tube, so you have a critical wire lead from the battery to the coil.  Deus solved it by making the rod connection to the coil ears a hollow split design so that the battery wire runs straight up the rod with a curly wire section that acts like a spring to keep the wire under tension.   The Golden Mask rod has a solid tip at the connection to the coil ears with no place to run the battery wire of the new Deus design.  So, I got out the saw and the Dremel and started making some modifications.  
      The first thing I had to do was cut off the Golden Mask solid connection tip that bolts to the coil ears.  The tip is solid HD plastic that inserts into the carbon fiber hollow tube about 2 inches.  So, I cut the carbon fiber above the insert so that I could reuse the insert.  I then used the Dremel to cut a slotted path for the coil battery wire to run from the bottom of the coil ear connection insert with sufficient clearance for the wire to slide smoothly.  The portion of the coil ear connection that inserts into the carbon fiber tube is more or less hollow, so I continued my wire path through the outer wall into the hollow section.  That way, I could run the coil wire through the groove, then slide the wire inside the tip connection and when I re-inserted the tip section the whole mess is captured inside the tube, very close to the Deus type design.  The battery pack fits squarely inside the 2nd segment of the Golden Mask collapsible tube with just enough tension to keep the wire sliding freely.  I then put some black electrical tape around my grooved section to keep the wire firmly inside the groove.  The only other thing was a rubber washer 5/16 X 3/4 from Lowe's hardware to shim up the coil ear connections for a tighter fit. 
      What I end up with is a detector that weights less than 2 lbs, collapses to 24 inches and extends to a maximum of 51 inches.  My goal has always been to make the Deus into a discriminating pinpointer to augment the Minelab 7000.  Some of my Baja prospecting excursions have resulted in way too many deep holes to recover ferrous trash that falls off the turn of the century type drywashers the oldtimers used down there.  At my age, it's all about conservation of energy.  You can only dig so many 2 ft holes in 85 degree temps before your day is used up.  If my new discriminating pinpointer can cut my digging time in half, I'll be thrilled. 
      By way, I had the opportunity to compare the Deus side by side with the Gold Monster on undug targets in N. NV.  I was certainly impressed with the GM target audio responses and its ability to quickly adjust to changing conditions.  If I were starting out gold prospecting and could only afford VLF, I'd certainly make it the GM.  I like my Deus as a supplement to my Z7000, but it is not a turn on and go machine.  I think at the end of the day, GM users would cover more ground simply because it's so simple and target responses are unmistakable. 

• By Deft Tones
      Finds first:

So back at the end of June I scouted a new park and potential jewelry patch but due to oppressive heat and drought conditions in July and most of August I've only been back three times since then. In addition to climate, my detecting time has severely been cut because jiu jitsu takes over our family life 4 nights a week as my kids and wife found themselves addicted to the dojo and choking people.  I'm a bad influence, I guess.
      Two weeks ago (my last real 6 hour detecting session) I ran into another detectorist at this park working his Ace around the same goal net I worked back in June. Soon we were chatting and then kinda hunting together as he sort of followed me around, which was slightly annoying when I'm used to being alone, but that's me, not him really.
      Anyway, while we were hitting various spots around the park I picked up a small 10k ring at the edge of one playground. 4th hunt here and gold! 1.4 grams 10kt (unknown triangle mark)
      We finally got more rain and I went back to this patch a few days ago. I went to one of the softball backstops the other detectorist and I hunted around a few weeks back. I was mindlessly pulling square tabs three feet from the backstop fence, trying to reduce the trash load, when to my surprise gold #2 appeared - 7.4 grams 14kt FG mens band! Boom!  1 hour 45min into the hunt.
      Same tone as the older style square pull tabs and just about into bottlecap range. In fact, I dug a few square tabs that while on the surface sound and VDI the same as the ring. That's without headphones and using the module's external speaker, btw.
      After 5 hunts of maybe 35 hours I am pleased with the new patch so far. Almost two dozen junk jewelry, over $25 - 30 in change and one silver ring, one silver dove pin (no picture) and two gold rings. 
      Both rings taken with Deus 4.0 11" coil, full tones, 0 discrimination, 0 notch 18khz.
      Thanks for peeking and good hunting to you.