Jonathan Porter On Mastering The Minelab Gold Monster 1000!

5 hours ago, fred ned gold said:

I was wondering apart from size what are the trade offs or avantages for using the different size coils or there going to sense just the same With area covered to being able to fit in tighter places

Just the typical trade off seen with any similar machines. The small coil "sees" less ground and so can be run at a slightly higher sensitivity level in bad ground, and with a more concentrated magnetic field. This in turn results in a bit hotter response to small gold than with the larger coil, but the difference is small. The large coil on the other hand does produce a larger magnetic field and so will reach a deeper on larger nuggets.

Big coils not only "see" more ground but they see the unwanted targets in the ground that can confuse the detector, like trash items or hot rocks. By "seeing" a smaller volume small coils are less likely to see multiple targets at once, resulting in cleaner signals, plus better discrimination results when discrimination is employed.

Obviously the big coil covers twice the ground while the smaller coil gets into tighter locations. Which you want to use just depends on the job at hand and since both come with the detector there is no need to force the choice. Rough rules of thumb - smaller gold or smaller areas to cover equals smaller coils. Larger gold, larger areas to cover equals larger coils.

metal-detector-small-coil-versus-large-coil.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

You`ll note in JPs directions to turn on the GM with the coil facing likely EMI source to allow the noise cancel to operate correctly, this is very important. I mention this as one of the videos making the rounds show the turn on done with the coil on the ground.

The GM1000 is no toy for sure.

• Like 4

From Youtube.  One of the better vids kicking around.

I wasn't sure where to post this but here seems as good as anywhere.  In the vid it mentions that auto sensitivity utilises the sensitivity settings 1 to 6.  I hadn't heard that before - maybe I missed it?  Is it correct or an assumption? 

Thanks, Adam.

• Like 1

Don't worry, went back and re-read the sensitivity treasure talk. Answered my own question. 

In Auto+, the detector still chooses the best equivalent of the 10 available manual settings

and 

Where Manual 10 is the maximum level that can be user selected, the auto level selected mayrange above 10 if the ambient and ground conditions allow, giving a greater sensitivity than manual will ever be able to achieve. 

Senility may be creeping up on me :blink:

• Like 3