Sign in to follow this  
Ridge Runner

Story By Digger Bob In Silver & Gold Mag. 2017 Annual

Ridge Runner    441

Bob has written a great article with a lot of show and tell. Bob talks about Oroville Dam with lots of pictures of it and gold he's found plus others too.

I'm sure it's other great stories in it but I pulled it off the rack just because Bob pretty face was on the front.

Chuck

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By goldbrick
      I am very interested in pocket hunting. There is not a lot of info on the net about this subject but what there is I think I have studied most of it. Where I feel deficient in my pocket hunting education is old petrology terminology. It seems like over the last 100 years there have been many changes in the names of rocks and minerals. Following is an excerpt from the Canadian GPEX gold forum which may help to illustrate the problems which beset the modern prospector when he tries to decipher what the old-timers were saying.
      "The chemical or mineral composition of this pocket formation is generally silica, lime, soda, alumina, potash, copper, lead, magnesia, iron, gold, quartz and water, although these conditions differ in each locality.  (Here I note a problem in terminology. The author uses 19th century mineral terms that I have difficulty translating. Calcite was not used in those days, but the term for it he used was lime, so I substituted calcite in places for today's readers. Soda and potash may have referred to sodium and potassium feldspars, but I'm guessing here. Magnesia may have been magnesite, MgCO. I don't know what the contemporary equivalent for alumina is. He interchanged terms for elements with those for minerals, so the particular minerals containing lead, sulfur and copper may have been understood by his contemporaries, but I don't know what he meant. Chloride puzzles me. Chloride had a meaning among mining men in those days that is no longer used and leaves me mystified)"
      Hopefully someone with experience in this area will school us prospectors that lack the ability or knowledge to translate the old terminology into a more modern one. I don't believe I am the only prospector who thirsts for this knowledge or could benefit from publication of it.
      Thanks,
      Merton

• By Clay Diggins
      Gosh it's that time again. Spring has sprung across all the states and prospecting is going into full swing for the season.
      Land Matters updated their Mining Claims Maps last Friday morning. We also updated them on the 15th of May and May 1 and April 15 - you get the idea.
      In any case Land Matters always provides the most up to date claims mapping available at any price. We serve up thousands of these maps every hour and those numbers keep growing so I know folks are getting their prospecting mojo on with the help of Land Matters. That's a good thing! 
      We've got some new tools coming soon to make your research even easier and more productive. Keep an eye out for those updates soon.
      For those of you who are Claims Advantage Members you may have noticed there has been a significant change to one of the most famous mining districts in California. New ground opening up for the first time since 1890.  This is a major opportunity for any serious prospector.
      Here's the number of claims closed so far this mining year:

Land matters has provided maps of all those 27,127 Closed Claims for our Claims Advantage Members.
    • By fredmason
      W. Dan Hausel has an interesting article in the April edition of the ICMJ's Prospecting and Mining Journal...
      well worth reading and not the only one worth your money.

fred
    • By Digger Jones
      I would really like to hear anyone's thoughts on their favorite gold book(s). Not necessarily just metal detecting but any aspect of gold, weather it be detecting of, geology of, or historical, which I find really fascinating, but just any favorite books on the subject, from any country and any time, all input is appreciated!
      Cheers
      Digger
    • By tvanwho
      I found  a TOP NOTCH Prospecting video that answers most of my desert prospecting questions in terms I can understand vs geologist mumbo jumbo. Unfortunately, Rob Allisons website says the video has been discontinued and he has only 2 copies left at 15 bucks each. It is made by Chris Ghoulson from Arizona and the title is " Nugget Hunting Essentials,Volume 2, From the Ground Up " and is 90 minutes long with intro by Jonathan Porter. Answers about 75% of my recent questions on this thread and then some. Too bad it is discontinued?? !!   I wonder what Volume 1 was all about? The video covers such things as detecting recent dry washer tailing piles-what to look for and what to ignore, red dirt and white quartz rocks, ironstone or magnetite rocks,detector coils and what makes them work, what hotrocks, trash, and gold sound like on a Minelab GPX machine, rock formations to look for to improve your nugget finding chances, and plenty of video examples of these things so no guessing...when to use large vs small coils, dangerous critters in the desert, etc, etc

-T
    • By DolanDave
      If anyone is interested, here are 21 books on meteorites in pdf
      Download link
      Dave