Dale District Nugglet And Space Rock

A few years ago someone told me that some meteorites had been found in the Dale area. I am always on the lookout for hot rocks that are actually meteorites.  So when I dug a hotrock that sounded different from the many ironstones in the Dale, I examined it very closely. Back then I could still see fine detail without a magnifier- so, as soon as I cleaned it off I knew what is probably was. This happened to be in some one else's dig hole.  They walked away and left it for me-thank you who ever you were. After grinding off a corner I confirmed the presence of nickel-iron and knew there might be more...

I ended up with a mention in the Meteorite Bulletin as the finder of the most grams (mas) at the time...

my name will live forever in that resource and the books Doug Stone has written. I think that is pretty good for a poor boy from Colorado.

fred

• Like 6

Nice Rite Fred. and piece of gold...I went to look for those meteorites a few years ago, there was dig holes all over a small hill...

Dave

• Like 1

Dave;

Bob Verish wrote an article about the SBW and mentioned me.

He wanted to know where I found the pieces I had, so, he came out, camped and I gave him a short tour. On his way out he lucked into a scatter area and picked up a bunch. He later confirmed they paired with SBW. I did not mind sharing my information with him. However, he was just using me to get information and location. I asked for the coordinates to his find but he never would cough them up...

he won't ever get anything else from me...

fred

• Like 2

Fred,

You'll probably be getting the directions soon ...

Your nugget is about the size (.9 grain) of my Sawtooth find ... my only find.  I got it the first hour I was there and then no more.

WTG.

Mitchel

• Like 1