Great Video Of Park Recovery Techniques

That video motivated me to finally put the gasket scrapper I bought some time ago in my bag for my next trip detecting. Been using the Raptor 31C Khouse also uses in the video for almost two months now.  Can't say enough about that digger. Absolutely love it!

Congrats on the ring Kenny!

The main thing I noted in the video besides good practices is that the soil is extremely moist. This is actually critical. Bone dry hard ground is tough to work in and plugging in dry ground is not a good idea as the chances the grass will die goes up dramatically. I try to do all my deeper detecting work in parks during whatever rainy season there is and just use the screwdriver / popping method during dry periods.

I love the finds this guy is making in the following video, but frankly I am horrified that he is using a shovel in a park. I don't care that maybe the grass will heal - in this case that's not really the point. It's more about the idea of the wrong person seeing a guy digging pits in a park with a shovel. This it what closes parks to detecting.

How not to do it...

• Like 1

Awesome, that is why I never pass up a nickel.

Congratulations.

Great point Steve.  I have some parks that I won't even visit in the summer. I hunt them only in the spring and late fall when they are nice and moist.  I save the well irrigated  shady parks for mid summer hunting if I go out at all. Besides the dead of winter, July and August are my slow months for detecting for old coins. I plan on doing some shallow sport field  Jewlery hunting this summer when it's too dry to plug for deep coins. 

I got that Coin Popper at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It's the Titan brand gasket scraper with a square shank. I then ground a radius on the edge then sharpened it.  $7.00   But there are other brands of scrapers that will work.  Ebay has the exact Titan gasket scrapers too.

• Like 2