Hobby Dilemma - How To Get New People Involved?

Something I've been thinking about is "growing the hobby." It's kind of a tricky thing.

For detector manufacturers to survive, there is a need to expand the reach and interest in metal detecting as a hobby. But, the catch 21 is that there are less and less relics and old coins to dig each year. The more people get into detecting, the less old stuff we find. And the finds are what get people into detecting in my experience. It's a lot harder to get excited about finding 37 cents at a park than it is to find a trime or a colonial buckle.

In talking to old timers, the "good ole days" seemed to be the 70's, 80's and early 90's - when silver was easier to find and every site wasn't pounded to death. That's why making detectors that out-perform current machines is so important. A deeper, better discriminating machine can breathe new life into old spots, which is what most manufacturers should be working on.

What do you think about introducing the hobby to new generations? Would you prefer it stay an "old guy hobby," or would you like to see the younger crowd pick up where you leave off? How do we deal with the fact that each day, there is less treasure (including nuggets) to find?

There are a couple (likely unsubstantiated) stats I've heard:

1) There are more coins in the ground than currently in circulation.

2) Less than 20% of the gold near the earth's surface has been recovered.  (This one is even more vague--what does "near the surface" mean?)

The easy pickin's have already been found in "the good old days". But better detectors and better hunting techniques can still pull finds out that those lucky hunters missed.  Also, the values of collectible coins, silver, and gold (and probably the rarer relics) have gone up since those glory days (although some of that has been eaten up by inflation).

A more interesting stat would be to know how many individuals who have bought a detector have recovered more than its cost with it.  For me, it's not about the value recovered (although that is nice) but the thrill of both finding AND learning.  I'd rather spend a weekend hunting and finding one common date Roosie than a bag full of clad.  But that's me, and I'm not judging someone who prefers the opposite.  Motivations are different.

• Like 2

Guest Tnsharpshooter

Well,

I think nature will takes its course here.

With the growing population in USA along with building and construction,,less and less area is available to detecting.

The number of finds a person's makes,,,this is all relative.

Some folks enjoy hunting a pounded site and making one decent to nice find,,,others like to seek out possible virgin sites and detect,,and likely they'll make more finds.

Basically what you are asking,,does the end justify the means??

As far as the younger generations stepping in and carrying the torch??

It will likely happen but by fewer folks than yesteryear. Why??

The younger generations have more higher tech devices to keep their attention vs the older folks.

So time sharing here will result I think in less actual time by the younger folks in the field.

The internet I think can a paint a skewed result too in the number of folks who actually detect.

Land parcels are becoming smaller and smaller,,,land ownership has a higher turn over rate..

Folks I think are moving longer distances too for both work and retirement.

What does all this mean in the end.

Hard to say.

Some things like silver prices,,gold prices could help keep the hobby/sport alive moreso.

Detector prices too if they stay in check,,not get too expensive could help too.

Would a ground breaking new detector technology help??

I think so,,but would take a while to really take hold.

A lot of gadgets out there now for folks to use for exercise,,hence they may seek thesemeans vs use detecting as a means to exercise.

The younger generation at least in my area,,they don't seem to be the outdoors type,,rather give them a PlayStation,,iPad,,facebook and they feel they are satisfied.

In their minds they can't get connected or stay connected with swinging a metal detector in the field.

I also see this with younger males,,,they don't like to hunt and fish like my generation did.

50 years from,,I won't be here,,maybe in spirt,,but won't get to see actually how all this turns out.

What will a detector look like,,operate like 50 years from now??

Who knows.

18 minutes ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

I also see this with younger males,,,they don't like to hunt and fish like my generation did.

I grew up hunting, fishing, camping, wheeling. It seems like the generation that is growing up with constant access to technology is less interested in the real world, but maybe that's just me.

I would guess it's because the internet offers an instant (but I would say hollow) gratification - boom, you're connected. But hunting, fishing, detecting - those all take WORK to get something out of. Same thing with building something out of wood with your own hands.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do think it's worth trying to get younger people outside but it's tough... Kinda like detecting itself sometimes.

Well, I think there are many opportunities worldwide for detector companies. I do unfortunately think we are at or maybe even a hair past the zenith in the U.S. The main reason may ironically be the great success detecting has enjoyed over the last 10-20 years. I have been doing this over 40 years now and I personally feel like I am in a "cleaning up the leftovers" phase.

If you are after gold nuggets, silver coins, old relics, whatever, you face a depleting resource. The resource depletes faster than the technology improves, and it is just a fallacy to think that deeper always means more finds. We also face the problem of very slow but almost inevitable closure of detecting areas. One bad apple and another site closed.

I have always counted on jewelry to keep me going as I get older and less able to roam the hills. Unlike most finds it is a renewable resource. Even there however sheer competition is having an impact, as well as the shift to tungsten, mood rings, and other jewelry fashioned from "non-precious" metals.

A final unappreciated headwind may be the continued decline of true enthusiast dealers. Some of the growth in the industry was definitely driven by those face to face dealers who go to club meetings, sponsored events, and "made it happen". Somehow I doubt Amazon does anything to grow the hobby.

I started detecting as a kid and just enjoyed finding stuff with a detector, and it was a long time before it was more than just a fun hobby for me. I am sure there are still kids who would try it and enjoy it just like I did. For most people after all it is just a hobby they either enjoy or do not.

Add it all up and I am still sure detectors will continue to be sold but it is very hard for me to imagine it as a growth industry in the U.S. from here on out. Those seeking growth had better be addressing the global market.

• Like 2

I've mentioned this before, but there is a reason the AT Pro is one of the top selling detectors. It's because it's the detector all the largest Youtubers use and that's how most of the younger crowd get exposed to detecting these days.

I don't know a single kid who actually watches real TV anymore, it's all Youtube, Twitch, etc. They don't go outside any less than I did when I grew up, they just consume digital media instead of analog when they are relaxing. My parents generation thought my generation went out less then they did too because we started playing Atari. Well, it wasn't true, they forgot how much they watched TV when they were kids. And so it goes...

I get quite a few messages from kids (to me nowadays a 19 year old is a kid I guess, feels strange to say) on my channel asking for advice on prospecting on detectors and honestly there isn't much I can refer them to in their price ranges when it comes to gold machines. What about when that kid sees that he can buy the best phone in the world for around $500, but that doesn't even buy him an outdated gold detector from 30 years ago? What is that kid going to think? Well, I know what they think, because they tell me, and I agree with them. You guys (detector manufacturers as a whole) REALLY have to do something about the inflated price schemes if you want any kind of real growth. Don't make the machine junkier, make it good and make it competitive with other forms of technology. Just simple economics and marketing here, you've been able to strive off older people who have more money and more stuff to find. That's changed, those days are gone forever.

Anyways, even over the last 5 or 6 years I've noticed few younger people even use forums anymore. It's all about new media for them. I was one of the youngest guys on the prospecting forums when I first started joining them about 15 years ago. And 15 years later, I'm still one of the youngest guys, at least among any of the active posters, so that tells a story there. I'm a middle aged man now...

None of this changes the target depletion problem of course. But if you guys want to start appealing to younger people then what I said above is something to consider. 1 ad on Aqua Chigger or Nugget Noggin's channel is going to get you many times more exposure to that demographic than traditional media, and it'd probably be 1/10th the price to do that too. Not to mention it keeps running for as long as the video is up, which could be 10 years. Just getting people to use your technology gets you exposure for free on these outlets when people publish their activities. You do that by making it affordable, and good.

• Like 4

I agree with you Steve.

I hunt just to get out and get a little exercise these days and I still find a really good target on occasion.

I have been fortunate that all of my machines have paid for themselves +.

Also the area I currently live in is pretty bleak. I have to drive at least an hour to get to anyplace that may have something worth hunting.

But I do still enjoy the hunt and my V3i is always a pleasure to use as well as learning more about it.

This is easy...you need to sell  the dream which is finding GOLD! I would not tell how hard it is to find however. Just tell them hard work always pays off. 

strick

21 hours ago, tboykin said:

I grew up hunting, fishing, camping, wheeling. It seems like the generation that is growing up with constant access to technology is less interested in the real world, but maybe that's just me.

I would guess it's because the internet offers an instant (but I would say hollow) gratification - boom, you're connected. But hunting, fishing, detecting - those all take WORK to get something out of. Same thing with building something out of wood with your own hands.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do think it's worth trying to get younger people outside but it's tough... Kinda like detecting itself sometimes.

Further elaboration.....I think you are partially right...the internet and social media are what the young generation is into these days...also sports is still growing strong..  I've tried to get my son into it but he has no interest in it right now probably because he hangs out with his buddies, has a girl friend, is a senior in high school, and getting ready to make his next move in life. Plus he works about 20 hours a week..that pretty much keeps him busy. 

I remember when I was 18 my father got a metal detector and was hitting old home sites. One day I happened to be driving by and saw his car so I stopped and watched him for a little while... But it did not really perk my interest enough. Like you back then I was into hunting mainly....and so the cycle goes on.... now Im doing what my father did when he was my age!  At any rate lets face it this is an older persons hobby...when we have some free time on their hands, It's something different as some of us have done  many different things in life and some of us have grown out of wanting to kill animals and such. It's hunting without the killing. Keep showing all the treasures and people will always buy metal detectors. And now I find out that  my 20 year old daughter and her boyfriend are going to Pismo in a couple weeks and guess what? they want to borrow one of my detectors... so there is some hope! 

strick 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jasong said:

I don't know a single kid who actually watches real TV anymore, it's all Youtube, Twitch, etc.

There is little doubt you are correct about this Jason - the way you initially connect with the younger crowd is via social media. Forums I think tend to be for people who are already at it and looking for more and deeper information. Youtube videos if done right can be incredibly informative. The main problem from the business perspective is there are no simple answers these days. The media landscape has fractured to an amazing degree. Back in the day all you needed was a yellow page ad and maybe some newspaper or magazine ads. Radio was a step up, and TV too expensive for most.

Now there are countless ways to reach people, who at the same time are more savvy at avoiding advertising. My wife and I prerecord anything on the tube that might have ads and just blast through them. On my truck radio when an ad comes on I just switch stations. For people like me - you can't reach me. I have to seek you out. And if I am looking to find out about something I know little about, I am probably going to Google it and follow the links. Too a large degree as far as I am concerned if I can't find your company or product on Google, you don't exist.

Tough times for companies and all they can do is pursue every avenue they have the time and money to pursue as best they can. If I had advice for any company it would be to be sure their websites have all the information on their products any person would ever want to find and answer every email same day or next day at latest.