Expensive Lesson Learned.... Insure !!

Just some good advice if you ever sell some detecting equipment, always purchase extra insurance. Priority mail covers only 50 bucks !! Bought this great Detech coil spiral wound from a friend....was in perfect condition but I found it a bit heavy for all around use. I decided to sell it to a fellow who "was" going to use it back in Virginia for relics as its a double d coil and would have worked out fine if it was not  " DESTROYED" somewhere by usps :angry:. So, if you're shipping something over 50 bucks buy that extra insurance....I am hoping it still works, going to give it a try tomorrow and see....looking at it I doubt it.....:blink:..Insure, insure for sure next time! 

coil 4.png

broken coil.jpg

broken coil 2.jpg

AuWanderer

Sorry to hear about your loss. I mailed  a lot equipment but yet to have something damage. I know insurance cost and so many times I didn't want to pay the price and always got there all together. The first time I didn't insure that's when it all go belly up.

Chuck

• Like 1

Hey Auwander,

I can tell you that I have been in business for over 17 years now and have shipped thousands of packages.  Some people have questioned me over the years why I might charge a few dollars more on shipping than others.  Well the main reason is just this - damage control.  For a few extra bucks I can guarantee the package is fully insured.  

I'm still fighting with Fedex on a GPZ 7000 I shipped earlier this year.  If you seen the package, looks like something tore the entirepackage in half.  Luckily, I insured for $8000.00, but Fedex is trying to play games and not pay for it.  Funny, they will take the money you spent on insurance all day, but it's now been 3 months and I have yet to see them replace or send me the value of the package.  

• Like 4

I've had USPS tell me the insurance is only good on packages that are properly packaged. The package was double boxed and spray foam filled. They said by the damage that occurred I should have put it in a wood crate! Refused my claim. So much for insurance. LOL!

• Like 1

Heavy package on package syndrome. I have few videos about it... normal day in business.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjmpainter said:

I've had USPS tell me the insurance is only good on packages that are properly packaged. The package was double boxed and spray foam filled. They said by the damage that occurred I should have put it in a wood crate! Refused my claim. So much for insurance. LOL!

Cause I'm sure they checked your packing job when they took your money...Tell them you thought they were putting it ON the truck, not running it over with it.

• Like 3

Yup, has never happened before , the odds are it probably won't happen again for a number of years. 

Rob,  feel for you man...hope FED EX does the right thing.....its a lot of money to lose. 

I guess it a ll  depends on what kind a a mood the driver and all the handlers before are  in...recently had a a package with damaged good as well

strick

• Like 1

Hmm,

I just got word from UPS that a package was ripped apart, that I had refused delivery, and the package contents were missing, all from viewing my tracking number history, except that I never received the package or declined it? I called the place I ordered from and they had not heard a word from UPS but sent me out another package right away. My regular UPS driver confessed to being the party

who told UPS I had refused the 1st delivery due to package destroyed. I still cannot figure out how a 3 inch diameter heavy cardboard tube with plastic inserts and tons of paper wadded up inside, could have been damaged so badly?

At least my 2nd shipment arrived safely.

Incidentally, I now search the Internet for Promo coupon codes for stuff I order online and have successfully got Free Shipping twice now, saved me over 30 bucks. Some codes are worthless, some get free shipping, some get a % discount on your order you

would not otherwise get. Definitely something to be aware of to stretch our prospecting equipment dollars !!!!

-Tom

Mate bad luck with the postage snafu, but on another note the coil may be repairable, I mean for your use, not to sell.  I have repaired a few cracks and other damage to coils with 2 part Aralidite and some of the repairs lasted for years and I did major damage to my 8" Commander and that repair is still going strong.    Dave

• Like 1