Coils For Caliche

I had my first experience with caliche recently...I was wondering if anyone has advice on which coils work well on caliche covered nuggets.  I plan to buy a 9x14 evolution soon, but don't know if that will be better in this regard.  I was swinging an advantage 12" RM and managed to get one, but thought there could have been  some I may not have heard. I use a goldscreamer and it  blasts on the tiniest of targets so I think there may be something special about nuggets with caliche. Any experience you can share is appreciated.

Congratulations.

It sounds like you got at least one out there!

• Like 1

As Steve said there is no affect on a metal detector but you still have to deal with physical issues.  If the caliche is very thick then you won't be able to see all the way through it.

More likely than not there just was not much gold there.  The caliche can go on for acres and has little to do with the gold other than it is sometimes a false bedrock and keeps the gold from going deeper.  It can be a pay layer but it doesn't have to be.

Mitchel

• Like 1

I got the one flake in the first hour and that was it for the trip.  My mind was 'tripping' from all the driving and I went over to Rye Patch by the end of the day and then went exploring around Fallon, Nevada the second half of Sunday.  It was just a long Road Trip for me.

I've found nuggets down 10 inches into caliche. As Steve says, it's invisible to a detector, at least in it's pure form.

However, caliche doesn't have to homogenous, depending on how/where it formed. It can have salts in it (you will know when you pop the nugget into your mouth to clean it), and it can have layers of black sands. Those two things can affect detection depth. It just varies by area, usually it's pretty mild.

• Like 3