Sign in to follow this  
Steve Herschbach

Switchable Or Selectable Frequency And Frequency Spread

I am going through one of those periods where I load up a bit on new detectors and let it all sort out. Darwin's Survival Of The Fittest Detectors! This winter a number will not survive and will be looking for new home. This is the only way I have found that works for me. Detectors that serve a good purpose for me get used, others end up sitting. If they sit long enough, they are no longer needed.

I have my nugget detecting fairly well sorted out. The GPZ 7000 gets used 90% of the time. I might pull out a VLF for a really trashy place, or for where the gold is smaller than the GPZ can hit (really small!). I do keep a Garrett ATX around to handle salt ground or oddball hot rocks the GPZ has trouble with but those situations have proven quite rare so far.

So the GPZ is an obvious keeper. The ATX does double duty as my favorite water hunting machine so there is another.

In the land of VLF however it is more complicated. I have this idea that a good selectable frequency detector might really do the trick in replacing two or more other models. The key there however is what I am going to go ahead and call "frequency spread" for lack of a better term.

What do I mean by frequency spread? Simply put, the number of kHz between the lowest and highest frequency the detector can operate at. The lowest frequency is basically the "large item" frequency that more easily handles bad ground, and the high frequency is the "small item" frequency that tends to have more issues with mineralized ground or hot rocks.

The high frequency option is critical for a person like me who nugget hunts. To really be able to replace machines like the 45 kHz Minelab Gold Monster 1000, 48 kHz White's GMT, 56 kHz Makro Gold Racer, or 71 kHz Fisher Gold Bug 2, the highest frequency option of the detector needs to be 30 kHz or higher or as close to that as is possible. Low frequencies in the single digits are great for coin hunting or very large gold nuggets in bad ground. Frequencies in the teens are a great compromise.

Some examples:

Nokta Impact 5 kHz, 14 kHz, and 20 kHz (15 kHz lowest to highest)

XP DEUS Low Frequency Coil 4 kHz, 8 kHz, 12 kHz, and 18 kHz (14 kHz lowest to highest)

Rutus Alter 4.4 kHz to 18 kHz in 0.2 kHz steps (13.6 kHz lowest to highest)

White's V3i 2.5 kHz, 7.5 kHz, 22.5 kHz (20 kHz lowest to highest - bonus - runs in multifrequency mode)

I am still waiting on the XP DEUS High Frequency Elliptical Coil 14 kHz, 30 kHz, and 81 kHz (67 khz lowest to highest). The XP HF 9" round running at 14 kHz, 30 khz, and 59 khz (45 kHz lowest to highest) is currently available.

In theory the White's V3i is a real winner here but I have just never really taken to the V3i as a prospecting detector. I have to be honest and say that so far the Impact floats my boat more in that regard due to its more traditional approach to a detector interface, all metal modes, and ground balancing. The problem with all of them though is they just don't reach high enough to be used both as coin and jewelry machines and yet still be capable of retiring the high frequency nugget detectors. And that is why I am still patiently waiting for that XP Deus V4 high frequency elliptical coil. At 81 kHz (or 59 kHz in 9" round version) the Deus HF coils on paper at least could in theory make the high frequency nugget detectors redundant. I have to admit I still have doubts however. So far dedicated specifically tuned single frequency detectors have always won the day. For a lot of people however, a selectable frequency machine might prove to be "good enough".

The downside with the Deus is that to get the deeper seeking lower frequency large coil option you have to wrap up quite a bit of money into two coils. The 9.5" elliptical is just not going to reach real deep due to its small size. I have the 11" round low frequency coil which can run as low as 4 kHz, so together the two coils make a pretty formidable package. The other machines however can run both much smaller and much larger coils, and at considerably less cost than what DEUS coils cost due to each one being a self contained metal detector. It may be that the XP HF 9" round running at 14 kHz, 30 khz, and 59 khz (45 kHz lowest to highest) is the better compromise option for most people than the 5.5" x 9.5" elliptical.

The Impact does suit me as far as the way it functions and I like the excellent inexpensive coil selection. It is a shame it weighs twice as much as the DEUS, but that may actually be a benefit when it comes to balancing large coils. Overall at the moment I am really liking the Impact - I just wish the frequency had topped out higher. I really wanted more like 5 - 15 - 30 kHz. Going from 14 kHz to 20 kHz is not quite providing the extra "pop" on tiny gold I would like to see.

nokta-impact-with-15-14-dd-coil.jpg

whites-v3i-metal-detector-2017-herschbach.jpg

xp-deus-with-5x9-elliptical-hf-coil.jpg

• Like 4

Another issue with selectable frequency detectors is whether they compromise on performance (compared to straight-forward single frequency detectors) in order to deliver the option of choosing among 2 or more frequencies.

It may be difficult to decide if they are compromising since comparing a single frequency detector (like the Fisher Gold Bug Pro @19 kHz) with a selectable frequency detector with an option of the same frequency (such as the Minelab X-Terra with 3 kHz, 7.5 kHz, and 18.75 kHz) means comparing two detectors with very different components.  I'm guessing the big issue in compromise would come from the coils used.  Specifically, if it's "one coil fits all (frequencies)" then one wonders how much you give up for this seemingly nice feature.

To put it simply, ignoring cost and convenience, are you better off (in terms of performance) having three separate detectors that cover the ~2.5 kHz to ~20 kHz range or one detector that does all three?

• Like 3

So far I have always leaned towards specialty machines. However, as the technology improves I am sure we will see more advancement made towards perfecting true multi purpose detectors. In the end all we can do is go use them and decide what works best for each of us. Some people need a dozen detectors, but we are certainly closer to the day where one good detector is all most people need.

I don't see much difficulty in sorting it out however. Regardless of components used they either perform or they do not. The only way I know how to do that is go use them personally.

• Like 3

I believe manufactures could just have a one vlf machine that does it all but they wouldnt release what they believe to be the latest in technology; Just like all electronics. 

It been already how long since the gpz came out and all these metal detectors coming out that tries to add another into the closet instead of replacing one or two. 

On 5/30/2017 at 10:24 AM, GB_Amateur said:

To put it simply, ignoring cost and convenience, are you better off (in terms of performance) having three separate detectors that cover the ~2.5 kHz to ~20 kHz range or one detector that does all three?

This thread and your question are going to be put to the test soon. Now we have two new offerings to add to those originally listed:

Nokta Impact 5 kHz, 14 kHz, and 20 kHz (15 kHz lowest to highest)

XP DEUS Low Frequency Coil 4 kHz, 8 kHz, 12 kHz, and 18 kHz (14 kHz lowest to highest)

Rutus Alter 4.4 kHz to 18 kHz in 0.2 kHz steps (13.6 kHz lowest to highest)

White's V3i 2.5 kHz, 7.5 kHz, 22.5 kHz (20 kHz lowest to highest - bonus - runs in multifrequency mode)

XP DEUS High Frequency Round 14 kHz, 30 kHz, and 59 kHz (45 kHz lowest to highest)

XP DEUS High Frequency Elliptical 14 kHz, 30 kHz, and 81 kHz (67 khz lowest to highest)

Plus arriving soon:

Minelab Equinox 600 5 kHz, 10 kHz, and 15 kHz (10 kHz lowest to highest - bonus - runs in multifrequency mode)

Minelab Equinox 800 5 kHz, 10 kHz, 15 kHz, 20 kHz, and 40 kHz (35 kHz lowest to highest - bonus - runs in multifrequency mode)

The two new DEUS high frequency offerings have the widest frequency spread, but unfortunately they start at a pretty high starting point (14 kHz). They achieve very high frequencies by doing this but my own recent tests of machines like the 45 kHz Minelab Gold Monster and 71 kHz Fisher Gold Bug 2 plus my use of the DEUS HF elliptical coil make me question if there is much to be gained by the frequencies over 50 kHz. Ultra high frequencies are really hot on tiny objects but ground penetration also really suffers at the highest frequencies. I am not convinced that giving up the lower frequency options to reach kHz values as high as 81 kHz is worth the trade to all but a very few people. I suspect the vast majority of DEUS HF coil owners will employ the 14 kHz and 30 kHz options far more than the highest frequency option.

minelab-equinox-metal-detector-large-studio-multifrequency-waterproof.jpg

• Like 1

Steve I can see why you're stoked over the 800's capability of running 20kHz and 40kHZ.

Tom

40 khz is the biggie Tom. There are piles of detectors that run around 19-20 khz and yes, that is a very good frequency for a general purpose nugget detector. Yet for many years people have gone to higher frequency machines like the 48 khz GMT, 71 kHz Gold Bug 2, 60 kHz Eureka Gold, 56 kHz Gold Racer for their small nugget detecting needs. The 45 khz Gold Monster is just the latest in the series of dedicated nugget detectors running at over 40 kHz.

So while topping out around 18 - 22 kHz is good (more than good enough for most people), it has always been just a little short of where I have been hoping to get with a selectable frequency detector as regards both nugget and micro jewelry detecting. The Deus does a good job in that regard but for most people starting with no detector buying a standard Deus and then adding a HF coil option gets to be a real pricy situation at near $2K for a VLF detector with two coils. That will change if XP ever gets around to selling a model that comes with the HF coil as stock, as they have done in Africa (but nowhere else we know of). But then you get locked into 14 kHz on the low end.

It may all very well be moot now as Multi-IQ proves it's stuff over time.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By MikePfeiffer
      First, I want to say this is one of the best forums I have ever seen. Steve has put together a GREAT website. The knowledge base on the forum is just phenomenal. I have learned so so much more about metal detectors from all of you.

So let me explain assumed.

I assumed:
      White's and Garret were the best metal detectors.
      Carl Moreland was still working for White's
      Metal detectors were 10 years behind technology of today. (just my thought)

After making the assumptions, I realized how wrong I was thanks to this forum. I realized White' and Garrett have been a sleep. Carl Moreland either quit or was fired. White's and Garrett detector are whats 10 behind.

When I got back into metal detecting last year. I was looking for a new machine. I looked at White's and Garrett with the assumptions. I thought about building my own detector. So I read Carl Moreland's book. (Great book) I realized that it would take me 2 to 5 years to develop my own detector. So I scrapped this idea. I could not understand why White's or Garrett had not built a detector with what I expected. I thought that with today's technology there should be a sweep frequency oscillator for the coil-s and an easy to read display. That being said, White's closest model was the V3i. Garrett had nothing. I quickly realized that I needed to look at everything. Because of the forum, I found Minelab was being discussed. When I found the Minelad Safari, I quickly realized it had what I was thinking of building. I don't like their LCD display. It does not look clear a crisp to me. However the machine looks promising. Then I looked at the E-track and CTX-3030. These also look to be very promising machines. Just the price is higher that I want to pay for a -2 times a month hobby. I really wish the best for White's and Garrett. They have their work cut out for them.

I want to thank John, Chuck, Tom and Terry and many others I do not know their names for the knowledge your provided and a special thank you to Steve H for his superior knowledge and the wonderful website he has provided.
    • By MikePfeiffer
      Just found this on the web:
      http://md-hunter.com/garrett-at-concept-new-2016-or-a-fake/
      Looks interesting.
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The following information is from an apparent leak from a First Texas distributor meeting? The link is posted at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/555-new-fisher-pulse-induction-multi-frequency-detectors/?p=10571 as part of the thread about upcoming Fisher products that have been circulating for a couple years. These leaks seem to jive with previous statements by Tom Mallory of First Texas.

The main one of interest to the people on this forum would be a new CZX model aimed at gold prospecting. Here is the text from the posted screen shot:

CZX - Fisher and Teknetics
      This machine is ground breaking technology Turn on and go 2 frequency - 9:1 ratio No need to ground balance or adjust the detector to the environment It automatically senses the ground and makes changes accordingly. First detector birthed from this platform is a gold unit priced around $1000, but deeper than current VLF, this detector will also see through red dirt, and highly mineralized soil. From this platform other machines will develop. We intend to develop the CZX and MOSCA platforms to offer more machines in the $1000 to $2000 range than have ever been available. Target release 2016 We have senior engineer Dave Johnson on this project The "Mosca" platform referred to is further described and apparently is aimed more at being a general purpose non-prospecting detector (coins, jewelry, relics). Again, here is the text from the posted screen shot:

"Mosca" Fisher and Teknetics
      Waterproof up to 10' (3 meters) Wireless headphones - Waterproof loop and connectors for headphones 2 frequency - 7:1 ratio Hobby/Treasure Market - Great for Saltwater, Relic, Coin Auto Ground Tracking Single Pod Design LCD Pad, control buttons, 2 AA batteries Arm Pad in rear Retail target - $1200 - $2000 Target release 2016 We have dedicated engineers on this project
      OK, so a gold unit around $1000 that goes deeper than current VLF designs. I also have high hopes that knowing the proclivities of the engineer, Dave Johnson, that it will be relatively light and ergonomic. Dave also prefers simple and the design statements reflect that.

We seriously need something that brings gold detector weights and prices back to earth and so hopefully this will be it. I have stated over and over again I would be very happy with ATX equivalent performance in a less expensive lightweight package. Garrett so far seems disinclined to make that unit but they have a year at least before it may be a moot point. The CZX would have to obsolete the White's TDI as it is aimed squarely at or below the same price point and unless it beats TDI performance would be dead on arrival.

We will not have long to wait - 2016 is coming fast!
    • By DolanDave
      Has anyone heard any new information on the Fisher/ Teknetics CZX gold machine coming out soon?  Fisher claims a new ground breaking technology, that will be able to see through highly mineralized soil, and red dirt?
      Dave
    • By Steve Herschbach
      The latest issue of the ICMJ is out, and I have an article in it titled Selectable Frequency vs Multi Frequency Detectors. Those of you with a digital subscription can read it online.
      The ICMJ has a policy against mentioning brand names in articles so I wanted to post this as a supplement to the article.
      Most metal detectors run at a single frequency. Low frequencies, that is single digit frequencies under 10 kHz, react well to high conductive targets, like coins, or large items, even if those items are of low conductivity. If you look at this typical metal detector target scale below you will note that non-ferrous items read higher not just based on conductivity but size also.

Low frequency detectors also do not "light up" the ground or hot rocks as much as detectors operating at higher frequencies. Many do not even offer ground balance controls because a factory preset level works well enough for some uses. Low frequency machines under 10 khz therefore tend to be aimed at the coin detecting market. There are too many models to list but most people have heard of the 6.5 khz Garrett Ace 250 as a perfect example.
      High frequencies 30 khz and over have extreme sensitivity to low conductive and small items, but also struggle more with ground penetration and hot rocks. Their extreme sensitivity to tiny trash items like aluminum bits do not make them very practical for any detecting except gold prospecting. Machines 30 khz and higher tend to be dedicated prospecting machines. Examples would be the 48 khz White's GMT, 71 kHz Fisher Gold Bug 2, 56 kHz Makro Gold Racer, and 45 khz Minelab Gold Monster 1000.
      In 2002 White's introduced the White's MXT at 14 kHz, and it is a perfect example of how detectors running in the "teens" make excellent "do-it-all" detectors. Since then everyone and their brother has jumped on that bandwagon, and there are too many machines running in the 10 kHz - 20 khz region to mention. Prospectors in particular would recognize the 19 khz Fisher Gold Bug Pro, but few know it is also sold in slightly different versions as the Teknetics G2, Fisher F19, and Teknetics G2+, all 19 kHz detectors sold to the general coin and relic market. Garrett has the 15 kHz AT Pro and 18 khz AT Gold to name a couple more popular metal detectors.
      Well if low frequencies are good for coins and high frequencies good for gold, why not make machines that can do both? Or both at once?
      Selectable frequency refers to machines that can select from one of several possible frequencies, but analyze the signal from only one frequency at a time. These may also be referred to as switchable frequency detectors. Multiple or multi frequency detectors analyze the signal from two or more frequencies at once. In theory this multifrequency analysis can be done simultaneously or sequentially at a very high speed. The end resultant is the same - the results from two or more frequencies are compared to derive information that cannot be had by analyzing a single frequency alone.
      Multiple frequency detectors usually have a fundamental frequency, and then other "harmonic" or secondary frequencies they also use, but the power (amplitude) fades with distance from the primary frequency. From page 9 of Minelab's Metal Detecting Terminology:

You can find more information on harmonic frequencies at http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3359/en/ and here also.
      Coils normally must be wound specifically to make use of any given frequency or set of harmonic frequencies. A coil will usually work best at the given fundamental frequency making it difficult to get the best possible performance at all frequencies using one coil. The Minelab X-Terra series specifically requires a coil change to achieve a frequency change for this very reason. People who own them know 3 kHz coils weigh more than 18.75 kHz coils. Why? Because heavier windings are used at 3 khz for optimum performance at that frequency.
      Here is what is probably an incomplete list of selectable frequency detectors and year of release:
      1989 Minelab Eureka Ace Dual            8 kHz    19.5 kHz
      1993 Minelab XT 17000                6.4 kHz    32 kHz
      1994 Compass X-200                6 kHz    14 khz
      1997 Minelab XT 18000            6.4 kHz    20 kHz    60 kHz
      1999 Minelab Golden Hawk        6.4 kHz    20 kHz    60 kHz
      2002 Minelab Eureka Gold        6.4 kHz    20 kHz    60 kHz
      2005 Minelab X-TERRA 50                7.5 kHz    18.75 kHz
      2006 Minelab X-TERRA 70            3 kHz    7.5 kHz    18.75 kHz
      2009 Minelab X-TERRA 305            7.5 kHz    18.75 kHz
      2009 Minelab X-TERRA 505        3 kHz    7.5 kHz    18.75 kHz
      2009 Minelab X-TERRA 705        3 kHz    7.5 kHz    18.75 kHz
      2009 XP DEUS                  4 kHz     8 kHz     12 kHz     18 kHz
      2016 Rutus Alter 71        Variable 4 - 18 kHz
      2017 Nokta Impact            5 kHz    14 kHz    20 kHz

Multiple frequency or multi frequency machines have become very confusing, as a lot of marketing material has focused on the number of frequencies transmitted. What really matters is what frequencies a detector receives, and how the information is compared and processed for results. Some commentary here. Many people look at the marketing material and assume that a machine processing multiple frequencies is somehow working across the board to deliver the best possible results at all frequencies. However, the two issues outlined above do apply. The machines are employing harmonic frequencies, and so cannot compete with a machine optimized at a single frequency as opposed to one of the distant harmonics running at less amplitude. Second, making one coil run perfectly at all frequencies is extremely difficult, again giving the dedicated machine an edge.
      I highly recommend people not go down the technical rabbit hole but instead focus on what the machines do, on how they act. Two things are very apparent.
      First, the big market for a long time was coin detectors, and the goal always was to identify coins as deep as possible while ignoring trash as well as possible. Processing two or more frequencies simultaneously gives the detector engineer more information to work with. All the focus was on developing great coin detectors and guess what, the multi frequency machines for all intents and purposes act just like very good lower frequency coin detecting machines. Good ground rejection, and great discrimination on coins for as deep as it can be achieved. The multi frequency machines don't really go deeper than single frequency coin detectors, they just do a better job delivering clean discrimination results to depth.
      Here is a list of introductory models of multi frequency detectors and year of introduction. I am not listing all the derivative models to reduce clutter. I will post that later. 
      1991 Fisher CZ-6            5 & 15 kHz
      1991 Minelab Sovereign            BBS
      1999 Minelab Explorer S/XS        FBS
      2001 White's DFX            3 kHz & 15 kHz (Simulates single frequency by ignoring half the dual frequency signal)
      2012 Minelab CTX 3030            FBS2

Second, single frequency detectors have a ground balance problem. They can ground balance to mineralized soil, OR they can ground balance to salt water. Multi frequency machines can reduce signals from both mineralized beaches and salt water simultaneously, making them ideal for saltwater use.
      1993 Minelab Excalibur   BBS (Sovereign in waterproof housing)
      1995 Fisher CZ-20             5 & 15 kHz (CZ-6 in waterproof housing)
      2001 White's Beach Hunter ID   3 & 15 kHz (DFX in waterproof housing)

There is a third class of machine that can run either as selectable frequency OR multi frequency detectors. Quite rare at this time. 
      2009 White's Spectra Vision   2.5 Khz or 7.5 kHz or 22.5 kHz or all three at once
      2017 Minelab Equinox   5 kHz or 10 kHz or 15 kHz or 20 kHz or 40 kHz plus multi frequency options

In my opinion multi frequency has delivered well on its promise. The Minelab BBS and FBS machines are renowned for their ability to discriminate trash and detect coins due to their sophisticated processing. Again, focus on what they do. Not even Minelab in their marketing tells anyone these are prospecting detectors. Second, the Fisher CZ-20/21 and various Minelab Excalibur models are without a doubt the most popular and successful non-PI saltwater beach detectors made.
      I have a DFX and I think it is a fantastic jewelry machine in particular. A good coin machine but lacks a bit of punch. The Vision/V3i upped the ante but while amazing on paper suffers from interface overload. The Minelab units are simple by comparison and a lesson on how people in general just want the detector to get the job done. Feature overload is not a plus. However, I think White's has the right idea. The ability to run either separate frequencies or multiple frequencies at once is very compelling. I just think nobody has really done it right yet in a properly configured package. The V3i has the ingredients, but needs to be stuffed in something like an MX Sport with a simplified interface and improved ground balance system. It really never did beat the MXT in some ways and many people when "upgrading" to the V3i end up going back to the MXT.
      Selectable frequency has yet to really deliver on its promise in my opinion. So far it has been difficult to produce a selectable frequency machine that truly performs at all frequencies on par with a dedicated single frequency machine. The Minelab Eureka Gold at 60 kHz just never gets mentioned in the same breath as the White's Goldmasters/GMT or Fisher Gold Bug 2. Also, most selectable frequency machines in the past have been very feature limited prospecting machines, restricting their overall market appeal. 
      I personally think we have seen enough variations of single frequency detectors. I do not believe much can be done to exceed the performance of the dedicated single frequency VLF type machines we currently have. What can obviously be done is a better job of packaging machines that deliver true punch at different frequencies, or multi frequency machines that bring across the board performance closer to what is expected of PI detectors. I do think we are seeing this happen now. The new Nokta Impact and the new DEUS V4 update are expanding the available options in selectable frequency in more usable packages. The Minelab GPZ and other hybrid platforms blur the line between what is traditionally considered PI and VLF and simply need the addition of discrimination to go to the next level. There is still a lot of potential to deliver machines that might reduce the number of machines many of us feel compelled to own by delivering more across the board performance in a single machine that would now take several detectors. Exciting days ahead.
      For those who want to try and get their head around selectable frequency and multi frequency technology, Minelab and White's have a gold mine of information in a few of their references. Dig into the following for some great explanations and diagrams.
      Minelab - Metal Detector Basics and Theory
      Minelab - Understanding Your X-Terra
      White's - Spectra V3i Owners Guide
      White's - V3i Advanced Users Guide
      Better yet are the last three parts of the DFX instructional video by White's featuring engineer Mark Rowan explaining frequency and multi frequency methods:

• By Steve Herschbach
      Steve's Law of Target Depletion - All good locations with high value targets will eventually be detected until no metal can be found. When any location contains items of great perceived value, detector technology will normally be applied in reverse order of aggressiveness. First will be VLF discrimination "cherry picking". This will be followed by varying degrees of "turning down the discrimination" to dig iffy targets and by using the barest of ferrous/non-ferrous discrimination. This will finally be followed by all metal detecting to remove masking effects by either VLF or PI detectors. If the location is considered good enough all targets will eventually over time be completely removed until no detector is able to acquire a target. At this point a site may be considered "hunted out" until a new technology arrives allowing for more depth or ground separation capability, when a few more remaining metal items will be removed. The key concept is that since discrimination is unreliable, all metal must be removed from high value locations in order to rest assured nothing has been overlooked.

Nugget hunters and beach hunters get right with the program. If a nugget "patch" is located it will be relentlessly pounded until no metal remains. Beaches survive by being a renewable resource. Good relic locations can and will be subjected to the same attention given to nugget patches. The rule is that as long as you can find a piece of metal hope remains that good items can be found. If not you, somebody else can and will return until no metal remains. I have promoted PI detectors for all uses for this very reason for over 10 years now - see that last few paragraphs at www.losttreasure.com from 2005.
      Most people consider depth to be problem number one, but for many areas target masking is by far the more serious issue. Until detectors can actually see through trash instead of blocking it out, even the smallest surface trash can and will block deeper adjacent items from being detected. Superb discrimination only gets you so far and ultimately the only solution is to remove the surface trash to see what lurks below. The only real limitation we face in this regard is in areas sensitive to digging holes of any sort, like a well groomed park. Even there, slow careful extraction of surface trash over time can reveal old coins missed by others for decades.
      Beneath The Mask by Thomas Dankowski