HI Alan

Great sense of humor you have there.  I am sure if Minelab see how you have adapted the SDC to cut ham, they will explore that market. And may be manufacture a coil, that also functions as  a hot plate.  Then you can have cooked ham steaks.   Would be a bit hard on the batteries tho.  But imagine the market.  Every wife/partner would want one,  and in the weekends the ole man can steal it and go detecting.

The perfect marraige.

Cheers Trev

• Like 1

I got a good laugh at the ham slicing video with  sdc 2300.....very clever. Aside from the gold finding abilities of both machines little has been said about their structural engineering. I  sold my ATX and bought the SDC. The quality of engineering in the Minelab wins hands down in my opinion. Early on I was having problems with the ATX and a floppy coil. Then there was the problem with the cam locks getting even the smallest amount of dirt in them and jamming up. They are not easy to clean. The little battery holders that Garrett uses with the ATX and the AT gold are very fragile and break easily should you accidentally tilt the machine and they fall out.  To change the coils on the ATX you need to be a trained contortionist in order to get your fingers into the guts of the ATX. That being said I did like the power and sensitivity of the ATX. Great machine for the money,

strick

Hi Rick,

Yes, I will be working on adding the noise reduction mod to the TDI and Pro that is found on the SL series.  Also, when time permits, I will add it to my through the hole unit and on all TDI's I will make it switchable so you can have the noise reduction or switch it out.  I also have replaced the preamp and that makes a difference.  On the through the hole unit, it is a little more difficult to change the preamp but can be done. 

Now, here is a link to a video made in OZ where the guy has only one noise reduction mod and not the main one installed and he can detect a .03gram nugget with the TDI. 

Once he gets the other noise reduction mod, it will run as smooth as the SL.  Actually, it will run smoother. Right now, he has the detector at full gain and the warble is quite a bit lower then most TDI's because of a different noise reduction mod that reduces the warble. but doesn't eliminate it like on the SL.  

Reg

Yea I had trouble with the ATX floppy coil thing (stock DD only). Garrett has since re-designed that part and has incorporated that in new models. Sent mine back for the fix.

Both great machines and have their place...

• 5 years later...

Let's bring up an old thread and see what happens!

What Simon?  I read the thread ... 80% and it reminded me of the current AQ threads.  A lot of stuff here.

• Like 1

There are lots of 'nuggets of wisdom' buried in Steve's forums.  Do we just stumble across it or is there a way to 'grid it' and get better stuff?

2 hours ago, mn90403 said:

There are lots of 'nuggets of wisdom' buried in Steve's forums.  Do we just stumble across it or is there a way to 'grid it' and get better stuff?

I had a plan when I started this website. People ask questions. Take the time to create deluxe answers. In future, when same question gets asked... link to previous answer. Over time, a library builds....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1