Minelab Gold Monster 1000 Begins Delivery

I am still impatiently waiting for mine to arrive. Ordered in Mid May. The dealer in Calgary AB still hasn't received it's shipment, then four days at least on Canada Post from there.

Very curious how well this will perform on my claim. Tons of hot rocks up there and small gold. Tried using the original White's Gold Master a few years ago to no success. Joys of prospecting in the caldera of a collapsed stratovolcano ;-)

Welcome to the forum Bryce! I do hope you will report on how the GM does for you. Hopefully you do not have the graphite based hot rocks that plague operators further south in British Columbia. As a non-ferrous conductive rock there is no reasonable way to deal with them short of a PI. I have a few graphite "nuggets" I found in Alaska but thankfully they are normally so rare as to be an interesting find rather than a nuisance. There is one spot north of Anchorage however where I encountered graphitic slate hot rocks with every swing of my VLF that shut me down quickly until I returned later with a PI.

• Like 4

Thanks Steve.

I will for sure report how the Gold Monster performs here. Hopefully graphite rocks won't be an issue here since I definetly cannot afford a Zed at this time lol

The area is within a granite batholith intrusion with hypothermal gold/silver vein hard rock deposits and also lead zinc occurances. Haven't seen any shale like rocks, just some sandstone rocks, otherwise predominately granites.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Minelab-GOLD-MONSTER-1000-Metal-Detector-/192225678452?hash=item2cc18b1474:g:zfQAAOSwCkZZTHXw

Buy-it-now, used for $650 including shipping.  I know nothing about this (don't know seller, etc.).  Just found it while searching metal detector page on Ebay.  Looks like it was listed late yesterday as a 3 day sale.  I don't expect it to last that long.

SOLD about 2 hours after I posted this.  Hopefully someone here got it.

For attaching it to a broom stick :laugh::laugh:

Seriously though, I think it is there as a back up if you break the original shaft, if you want to make a shaft that suits your height (or even the height of a kid) or if you wanted to make a real shorty shaft that would make it easier to scan creek/mine walls, etc.  

And if all else fails in the bush you can find a stick of the appropriate size and use that.  

I've actually found the provided shaft a bit long so might end up using the extra bits myself.  

Finally had time to get out and have a decent play with the GM.  As KiwiJW and Norvic are finding it seems to be a really good match with the Z.  Found 3 with the Z and 4 with the GM - 7 pieces is the standard haul with the GM/GPZ combo isn't it JW? :laugh:

Wrote a few notes about how I found the GM here - https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=343170#p343170

Enjoy :-)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Northeast said:

Finally had time to get out and have a decent play with the GM.  As KiwiJW and Norvic are finding it seems to be a really good match with the Z.  Found 3 with the Z and 4 with the GM - 7 pieces is the standard haul with the GM/GPZ combo isn't it JW? :laugh:

Wrote a few notes about how I found the GM here - https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=343170#p343170

Enjoy :-)

Well done sir.

• Like 1

Finally got a tracking number and my Monster should be in town by Wednesday. Can't wait to test it out next weekend :)

• Like 2